The Education Forum

Questions for Joseph McBride about RFK

Mr. McBride - thank you for posting your interview on the current state of the RFK case.

I have a few questions:

Has anyone attempted to locate the film 'The Last Campaign'? Have you seen it?

Did I understand you correctly that author Dan Moldea is the only person who knows where Thane Cesar is and he's not telling?

Didn't Noguchi sue to get his job back and win?

What else do we know about Manuel Pena? Is he still alive? Are researchers seeking FOIA files on him?

I'd also like to shamelessly piggyback a few questions I have about officer Tippet. Do you think it a strong possibility that he was a Dealey Plaza shooter? Why do you think he was murdered and by whom? Do you find the theory that his body was taken to Bethesda in the second casket because he looked so much like JFK plausible?

Edited by Paul Brancato

Mr. McBride is a fine author and investigative journalist, but I wish he would engage here more after he posts.

I think it's interesting how McBride's initial post on RFK has evolved into something completely different, and I am not without some blame. In order to correct that, I posted the current thread on which I am now the only poster. I think it's strange that the RFK case, which in my view is a better candidate for retrial that JFK, seems to fade out every time it's brought up here. Now I know this board is about JFK, but still...

Sirhan, unlike Oswald, is still alive. Others who were injured in the attack, like Schrade, are still alive. RFK's son is still with us and well known. The autopsy was not botched. Yet the case lingers, and doesn't elicit the same response here. Why not? Didn't that death not likewise alter history? Don't we believe that Talbot is right when he asserts that Bobby was planning to investigate his brother's death, and that he knew right away that there had been a conspiracy?

Edited by Paul Brancato

Sirhan, unlike Oswald, is still alive. Others who were injured in the attack, like Schrade, are still alive. RFK's son is still with us and well known. The autopsy was not botched. Yet the case lingers, and doesn't elicit the same response here. Why not?

What is there to say? I repeat what I said in the other RFK thread: "It's a sorry state of affairs that the government got away with something so obvious." What else is there to say?

Mr. McBride - thank you for posting your interview on the current state of the RFK case.

I have a few questions:

Has anyone attempted to locate the film 'The Last Campaign'? Have you seen it?

Did I understand you correctly that author Dan Moldea is the only person who knows where Thane Cesar is and he's not telling?

Didn't Noguchi sue to get his job back and win?

What else do we know about Manuel Pena? Is he still alive? Are researchers seeking FOIA files on him?

I'd also like to shamelessly piggyback a few questions I have about officer Tippet. Do you think it a strong possibility that he was a Dealey Plaza shooter? Why do you think he was murdered and by whom? Do you find the theory that his body was taken to Bethesda in the second casket because he looked so much like JFK plausible?

Thanks, Mr. Brancato. I have been busy on a book and with schoolwork, so just caught up

with these posts.

I saw THE LAST CAMPAIGN in the late 1970s. The filmmaker, Barbara Frank, showed it to me in 35mm in a screening room. It is excellent. She wasn't

filming during the assassination; she was in the ballroom, not the kitchen. She resumed shooting and smuggled film out in her underwear.

I've tried many times over the years to find out why the film has rarely been seen but have not been able to get a clear answer. All very mysterious. It played

at the Deauville film festival in France. There obviously would be a market for it on homevideo for students of RFK's life and death and for general audiences interested in the Kennedys. It's a moving and intimate portrait

of RFK on the trail at the end of his life.

Thomas Noguchi went into academia after being forced out of his job in the coroner's office.

As far as I know, Dan Moldea is the last person to have interviewed Thane Eugene (Gene) Cesar. Moldea reportedly controls

Cesar's access to the media, which, as I said in the interview, is nil. Moldea seemed to

support a conspiracy angle in an article he wrote for the Washington Post, but then his book

did a reversal. Very disappointing. Re-reading it for this interview made me see that

he includes a lot of evidence that would point to Cesar being the killer but that Moldea then

tries to exonerate him through the lie detector method, which even J. Edgar Hoover didn't think

was a good tool for law enforcement.

I don't know any more about Manuel Pena than is in the books on the RFK case. Shane O'Sullivan

might know. He's still on the case and does good work. I am looking forward

to Lisa Pease's book. She is a superb researcher and writer. Her work for

CTKA and Probe contains many classic articles. O'Sullivan's book

and film are valuable as well. He also wrote a fine and disturbing

article about the Sirhan parole denial for Russ Baker's WhoWhatWhy site.

I explore in my book INTO THE NIGHTMARE the possibility that Tippit

was Badge Man. I hope you read the book.

I don't want to summarize highly complex material about various aspects of the case in any simplistic way

but would rather people read the full accounts in my book.

As you may know, I provide evidence that Tippit was going after Oswald to hunt him down along with another policeman at

a time when the Dallas police officially did not know who Oswald was (of course

they did know who he was, but the official story was that they did not know

his identity until they got him downtown, which happened about an hour after Tippit's death). This chase indicates Tippit and the other

officer, Sgt. William Duane Mentzel, were part of a conspiracy to silence or capture Oswald. Mentzel reportedly

had a traffic accident and did not get to the scene of the Tippit killing. I believe

Tippit was lured into a trap to kill him. Part of the reason was to put the finger

on Oswald as a cop-killer, since Oswald (one of the two Oswalds) was nearby,

at the theater. And/or the Tippit shooting could have been to eliminate a participant

in the conspiracy. My book goes into some possible suspects. After my

book was published, I wrote more about the Tippit/Mentzel chase in an

article for CTKA, http://www.ctka.net/2014/mcbride_01.html

The theory about Tippit being substituted for Kennedy's body is implausible.

However, I do think it highly likely that the coffin over which a gunfight

almost occurred at Parkland was empty. There are indications Kennedy's

body was taken out of the hospital by another route. This would have facilitated the

body alteration. And from the viewpoint of the Secret Service and Kenneth

O'Donnell, it evidently would have been worth a gunfight (even in Jacqueline

Kennedy's presence) to prevent the empty coffin from being opened

by Earl Rose. It would have exposed the whole conspiracy.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Sirhan, unlike Oswald, is still alive. Others who were injured in the attack, like Schrade, are still alive. RFK's son is still with us and well known. The autopsy was not botched. Yet the case lingers, and doesn't elicit the same response here. Why not?

What is there to say? I repeat what I said in the other RFK thread: "It's a sorry state of affairs that the government got away with something so obvious." What else is there to say?

Ron, it never hurts to hope that something can be done. When you really think about it, I think this is why this forum is so active. We're all hoping that we can somehow solve the JFK and RFK murders, to do what the government has failed to do for the past 53 years. I know that it's a long climb up, but hope, at least to me, is always a good thing.

• 1 year later...

Noguchi did sue to get his job back.

No, Moldea is not the only one who knows where Thane Cesar lives.  In fact, I think he is wrong about the location.

5 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Paul, It looks as though you may not have seen Mr. McBide's response.

You're right Michael. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

thanks Jim - I thought Noguchi did that.