The Education Forum

Oliver Stone and Judyth Baker

28 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Is Judyth's name a big draw? 

Pat, that's actually a great question. I went to both conferences this year, and here is what I noticed about the "draw." The demographics interested me, as they always do. But bear in mind, these are "eyeball demos" and thus not scientific in any way. I'm guessing the attendance was 2:1 JVB-to-CAPA. The CAPA audience was probably 90-95% male and the average age was probably well over 50. The JVB conference was probably 50% male 50% female and the average age was probably in their 30s to mid-40s. Encouragingly, there were more than a handful of teenagers and college students at The JVB. I also noticed more in-and-out traffic at CAPA: "I want to see two speakers today; I'll skip the rest." The JVB crowd largely stays the entire day and wants to see everyone speak. The CAPA crowd does seem more academic, whereas The JVB crowd does seem more activist. None of these things are good or bad. If they sounded as such, that was unintended. But as far as who she draws? It seems the most hardcore devotees are women. That's what I've seen. They love that story. Just my two cents from observing.   

Edited by S.T. Patrick

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as far as who she draws? It seems the most hardcore devotees are women. That's what I've seen. They love that story. Just my two cents from observing.   

...And that's precisely her value to a publishing house.  Romance novelist.

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, S.T. Patrick said:

Pat, that's actually a great question. I went to both conferences this year, and here is what I noticed about the "draw." The demographics interested me, as they always do. But bear in mind, these are "eyeball demos" and thus not scientific in any way. I'm guessing the attendance was 2:1 JVB-to-CAPA. The CAPA audience was probably 90-95% male and the average age was probably well over 50. The JVB conference was probably 50% male 50% female and the average age was probably in their 30s to mid-40s. Encouragingly, there were more than a handful of teenagers and college students at The JVB. I also noticed more in-and-out traffic at CAPA: "I want to see two speakers today; I'll skip the rest." The JVB crowd largely stays the entire day and wants to see everyone speak. The CAPA crowd does seem more academic, whereas The JVB crowd does seem more activist. None of these things are good or bad. If they sounded as such, that was unintended. But as far as who she draws? It seems the most hardcore devotees are women. That's what I've seen. They love that story. Just my two cents from observing.   

Add on, tickets were given away in D.P. for people to attend JudyCon for free......

2 minutes ago, Bart Kamp said:

Add on, tickets were given away in D.P. for people to attend JudyCon for free......

I didn't know about this, but I'm not wholly surprised. Still yet, though attendance numbers can fluctuate at all conferences based on a varying degree of factors (especially if tix are handed out for free), I can say from past years, that those are the demos, for better or for worse. 

5 hours ago, S.T. Patrick said:

S. T. I Really like Garrison, your posts here are informative as is this one and I hope you keep posting here.  The tiny bit pf MWN I've listened to was provocative.  But if those 30s to mid 40s are attending her conference that is a bad thing imo.  A younger generation is learning junk in this case.  Maybe it's the free tickets or the allure of saying Ozzie had an extramarital affair with her.  Idk.  

Free tickets.  Speakers expenses paid... by the publisher.  For the author and other authors of books without a huge audience.  The JFK assassination is not a huge, highly profitable market.  Something smells rotten in Denmark here, maybe the limburger cheese...   Might there be another sponsor here with deeper pockets.  A mockingbird?

Judy claims she was a science wiz kid in 1963, sponsored in her New Orleans education.  Her and Lee's employment arranged.  By who? It seems her re-education in writing in the 90's then finding sponsors for her books may have been sponsored as well.  By who?

All good points. But as someone who has been there, I wouldn't necessarily say they are learning junk. The only person who even mentions The JVB's story is The JVB. All the other speakers are discussing their own research, work, or personal history. Maybe I have missed the ones who discussed her, but I don't recall anyone at that conference going up to speak either to prove or disprove Me & Lee. Of course, here is where someone chimes in with "What about [such and such speaker] in [such and such year]?" I can just say that I've never seen it, not that it has never happened. But it certainly isn't the focus of any session or day at any of the conferences.

Thanks for the kind words on garrison. To be honest, Ive never tried to be provocative with the show. In fact, and embarrassingly, I'm pretty bland compared to some other, better hosts. I sort of follow the Osanic style in that I like my guests to have as much time as they'd like to say what they want to say and make whatever points they feel need made. Are there a few episodes that make me cringe a bit in hindsight? Yes. But that's because they were done and I have that hindsight. Going into any one episode, I usually have a desire of what I hope it becomes. But, sometimes, it just goes off the rails. :)

Thanks.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:32 PM, S.T. Patrick said:

The only person who even mentions The JVB's story is The JVB. All the other speakers are discussing their own research, work, or personal history. Maybe I have missed the ones who discussed her, but I don't recall anyone at that conference going up to speak either to prove or disprove Me & Lee.

I can think of two who specifically use her for their work...Ed Haslam who we're all familiar with, and John DeLane William's, both coincidentally Trine Day authors...

Edited by Rob Clark

I didn't get to see JDW speak this year. I think I was at CAPA then. If it was Friday, I was at CAPA. I can see where Haslam would, yes. The stories are tied to the extent that Haslam's doesn't depend on hers, but hers depends on Haslam's. 

21 hours ago, S.T. Patrick said:

All good points. But as someone who has been there, I wouldn't necessarily say they are learning junk. The only person who even mentions The JVB's story is The JVB. All the other speakers are discussing their own research, work, or personal history. Maybe I have missed the ones who discussed her, but I don't recall anyone at that conference going up to speak either to prove or disprove Me & Lee. Of course, here is where someone chimes in with "What about [such and such speaker] in [such and such year]?" I can just say that I've never seen it, not that it has never happened. But it certainly isn't the focus of any session or day at any of the conferences.

Thanks for the kind words on garrison. To be honest, Ive never tried to be provocative with the show. In fact, and embarrassingly, I'm pretty bland compared to some other, better hosts. I sort of follow the Osanic style in that I like my guests to have as much time as they'd like to say what they want to say and make whatever points they feel need made. Are there a few episodes that make me cringe a bit in hindsight? Yes. But that's because they were done and I have that hindsight. Going into any one episode, I usually have a desire of what I hope it becomes. But, sometimes, it just goes off the rails. :)

Thanks.

A poor choice of words on my part.  By provocative I meant the stimulating or provoking aspects of the word.  As in the shows provoke thought.  Though I've only listened to parts of a couple.  The one you linked by Rob was one such.

As for Judy... I've mentioned before I have and have read Dr. Mary's Monkey.  Transporting cancer cells in a coffee thermos any distance at that time was impossible.  Without that possibility her story falls apart.  So supporting it in any shape, form or fashion is a lie. Imho.     

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:10 PM, Ron Bulman said:

A poor choice of words on my part.  By provocative I meant the stimulating or provoking aspects of the word.  As in the shows provoke thought.  Though I've only listened to parts of a couple.  The one you linked by Rob was one such.

As for Judy... I've mentioned before I have and have read Dr. Mary's Monkey.  Transporting cancer cells in a coffee thermos any distance at that time was impossible.  Without that possibility her story falls apart.  So supporting it in any shape, form or fashion is a lie. Imho.     

Timely article:

Harvard University Professor and Two Chinese Nationals Charged in Three Separate China Related Cases

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china?fbclid=IwAR2lxwhjI0HqbW0lPWD7Mb_7ocCfaSRNeZNmgjDlttvFmIf88ikkHSvajRI

From the Justice Department press release cited above about the Harvard University professor the two Chinese being charged:

"Zaosong Zheng, 30, a Chinese national, was arrested on Dec. 10, 2019, at Boston’s Logan International Airport and charged by criminal complaint with attempting to smuggle 21 vials of biological research to China. On Jan. 21, 2020, Zheng was indicted on one count of smuggling goods from the United States and one count of making false, fictitious or fraudulent statements. He has been detained since Dec. 30, 2019."