The Education Forum

War

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Flouting ethics, and laws, and precedents has been Donald Trump's modus operandi for decades-- even before he first hired Roy Cohn to defend him in the big Federal lawsuit regarding racial discrimination in rentals of Trump-owned housing in New York in the 1970s.

What will be truly shocking to see, if it ever happens, is not Trump breaking more laws, but Trump actually being held accountable for breaking the law.

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

I just saw this one over at the Democratic Underground... 🤪

House Foreign Affairs CommitteeVerified account @HouseForeign

House Foreign Affairs Committee Retweeted Donald J. Trump

This Media Post will serve as a reminder that war powers reside in the Congress under the United States Constitution. And that you should read the War Powers Act. And that you’re not a dictator.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

These Media Posts will serve as notification to the United States Congress that should Iran strike any U.S. person or target, the United States will quickly & fully strike back, & perhaps in a disproportionate manner. Such legal notice is not required, but is given nevertheless!

2:41 PM - 5 Jan 2020

From what I've read in just the last couple of days doesn't the War Act require him to report to Congress within 48 hours why Soleimani's death was required at this time?   Not a vague reference to he was planning attacks but attacks on who, where when and how?

JFK refused to attack Cuba during the Bay of Pigs.  He may have saved us all during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  He planned on getting out of Vietnam.  Not starting a war.

I don't think this act was defensive,  It was a provocation.  Jmo. 

Trump has been a disaster just waiting to happen. Now it's happening. Surprise!

U.S. presidents have always said that "we will not allow Iran to have nuclear weapons." That can only mean one thing, and that's war. But if you're going to start a war, you better be prepared first. We don't even have a draft. So what do we do (after we wait, of course, till Iran blows up some Americans in retaliation for this Trump tat for tat)? Invade Iran and get hit with a million Iranian soldiers? That ought to turn out well.

51 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Trump has been a disaster just waiting to happen. Now it's happening. Surprise!

U.S. presidents have always said that "we will not allow Iran to have nuclear weapons." That can only mean one thing, and that's war. But if you're going to start a war, you better be prepared first. We don't even have a draft. So what do we do (after we wait, of course, till Iran blows up some Americans in retaliation for this Trump tat for tat)? Invade Iran and get hit with a million Iranian soldiers? That ought to turn out well.

A quick Googling leads to the following troop numbers:

Iran- 563,000 Total Troops

Us- 1,300,000 Active Duty

865,000 Reserve Troops

Tell me why we need a draft?

On 1/5/2020 at 6:56 AM, Douglas Caddy said:

What pisses me off about the Democratic Party is they are only upset that they weren't asked before Trump unilaterally assassinated Soleimani.  That just tells me that the Democratic Elites want war just a badly as the Republicans do...There is no real opposition to foreign wars in the country.   We are a War economy and have been since WWII.  It is a fact that the United States killed someone whom Israel has been asking the US  for permission to kill for years.. and people wonder why we are hated as a people around the world.   Assassinating Soleimani was the equivalent of murdering say Norman Scharzkopf right after the Persian Gulf War victory parade.   Soleimani was an icon in Iran who was instrumental in putting down ISIS in the region.   

I fear for the future of this country..

13 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

A quick Googling leads to the following troop numbers:

Iran- 563,000 Total Troops

Us- 1,300,000 Active Duty

865,000 Reserve Troops

Tell me why we need a draft?

So we're going to invade Iran with all our active duty troops. Or do you think we can take that country with less? It's going to be pretty.

12 minutes ago, Greg Kooyman said:

What pisses me off about the Democratic Party is they are only upset that they weren't asked before Trump unilaterally assassinated Soleimani.  That just tells me that the Democratic Elites want war just a badly as the Republicans do...There is no real opposition to foreign wars in the country.   We are a War economy and have been since WWII.  It is a fact that the United States killed someone whom Israel has been asking the US  for permission to kill for years.. and people wonder why we are hated as a people around the world.   Assassinating Soleimani was the equivalent of murdering say Norman Scharzkopf right after the Persian Gulf War victory parade.   Soleimani was an icon in Iran who was instrumental in putting down ISIS in the region.   

I fear for the future of this country..

Nancy Pelosi says House will vote to limit Trump's war powers on Iran

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nancy-pelosi-says-house-will-vote-to-limit-trumps-war-powers-on-iran-as-tensions-grow/ar-BBYE4bf?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE07DHP

2 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Well that's the best news yet. Get a war started and then limit the Commander in Chief's war powers. Is this Saturday Night LIve?

As an opposition party, I see nothing unusual about Pelosi wanting to be informed before the assassination and then trying to nip in the bud Trump's war powers. Maybe we'll see some vote on it in the future and we'll truly see in numbers where the Democrats are at.

Greg, I wouldn't be too sure,  to give you some historical perspective, the Democrats in the House voted 128-81 against support of GWB proposed War on Iraq. Unfortunately at that time they were the minority party. They aren't now.

Michael Hudson wrote a sobering big-picture view of these events, in respect of long-term strategic interests:

https://w ww.counterpunch.org/2020/01/06/america-escalates-its-democratic-oil-war-in-the-near-east/

These long-term policies are the antithesis of the foreign policy views harshly repudiated by unelected power blocs in the 1960s.

This trouble all started back when we killed the first Indian.

I still remember reading John Wayne's excuse for our fighting with the Indians. "They had all this land."

I am curious how many posters here had heard of the assassinated Iranian prior to the drone attack. Maybe it doesn’t matter. I hadn’t. The War Machine went into full blown propaganda mode right after the assassination, making sure we all knew what an evil and dangerous leader their target had been. 

I agree with Greg that the Democrats usually sign on when consulted. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I am curious how many posters here had heard of the assassinated Iranian prior to the drone attack.

I had never heard of him. Anyway isn't it a military custom to replace one dead general with another one? (I saw something just yesterday about some guy stepping out of this general's "shadow," but I didn't catch the name, as if it makes any difference.)