The Education Forum

Jerry Dealey or Ken Holmes still doing tours?

2 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Larry, do you know this guy?  I'm still skeptical after facebook.

I know the Dealy's owned the Dallas Morning News.  Where Ruby was, then he wasn't, then he was, at the time of the assassination.  Does he take them by the DMN and say my Uncle owned this?

Edited by Ron Bulman

Yes, I have known Jerry for a great many years - he knows Dallas history inside and out and has been doing several types of historical tours (not just JFK) for years.  He is also an expert on the history of the structures in and around the plaza down to the level of the construction plans and changes in everything from structures to sewer lines.  I suspect it started as a family interest.

He has always been very straight forward about his family connections, which of course explains his interest in Dallas and in particular the Plaza.   As a Dallas native he also knows what has changed and what has not over the years, he used to be key in getting us into the old police station and arranging for tours of the holding cells as well as the basement, the ramp were Ruby was taken etc...

I can't think of a better tour guide than he or his partner.  As to conspiracy,  as a guide he pretty much sits on the fence, pros and cons - so its not a conspiracy tour per se, its a sightseeing tour of locations.  I've never heard him try to pitch a particular conspiracy no the lone nut scenario.

Its been about four years now since I last saw him in Dallas, not sure if he is still doing tours or not.  The tours were not really his main business, he ran insurance agencies in a couple of towns in the Dallas area.

Wow.  It's refreshing to realize how naive I am from time to time.  So he's kind of objective on the subject?  What would really be fascinating is you and him in a limo doing the tour with your questions comments.  Should be done for the sake of History, Jmho.  

Jerry generally describes himself on the fence, open to conspiracy and knowing many things point to it but also being skeptical about several things he often gets asked about....generally by folks who don't really have much information other than what they picked up from a single book or more likely a TV series.  As you can imagine he gets a lot of "less informed" questions during tours.

Actually he and I did a few joint presentations at Lancer conferences, sort of a point counterpoint.  He would do a detailed floor by floor physical introduction to the TSBD pointing out areas related to issues of evidence, put everybody in the places the WC showed and then I would follow up by poking holes in parts of the WC story line.   I do seem to recall one in which he also made a conspiracy pointed presentation identifying issues.

A joint tour would be fun if he still does them at all, at the conferences he would generally offer either extended driving tours or specialty tours like the DPD building while I did the detailed walking tours around the plaza itself....always enjoyed that, well other than the days it was sleeting.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:16 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Thanks! His email bounces back from that site.

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Jerry is definitely not doing tours any longer, just checked that with him recently.

However Jerry referred anyone interested to Freda Dilliard who did tours with him and still does - I can recommend her as well.  You should be able to reach her at:  214-676-1510

Thank you!

Hope you have a great tour.

Can't wait to read your personal summary of such.

And what if any new view changing thoughts you may have that were inspired by what you see there.

And what a perfect sentimentally touching name for one of our members!

Like someone on a Nixon themed historical forum named Richard Nixon Black!

This thread reminded me of my tour with Ken Holmes almost twenty years ago.

Ken's tour showed me the Plaza, the site of Ruby's Carousel Club, the D.P.D. building, Nealy Street with a visit to the backyard, a derelict Texas Theatre and 10th & Patton prior to its re-development.  He was a great guide, and very knowledgeable, particularly on the Tippit scene.

I also recall he offered a trip out to Lubbock for a Holly tour which sadly I couldn't take him up on due to time restraints.

I believe Ken passed away a decade back.  

On 9/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Hope you have a great tour.

Can't wait to read your personal summary of such.

And what if any new view changing thoughts you may have that were inspired by what you see there.

And what a perfect sentimentally touching name for one of our members!

Like someone on a Nixon themed historical forum named Richard Nixon Black!

Thanks! All booked with Freda Dillard for Nov. 21.