The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

54 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

I'd like to think there are 7-8 Republicans in the House that would like to get off the Titanic here, and be open to making a deal with the Dem caucus for the next Speaker. Nominate former GOP house member Fred Upton, or someone like him.

Y'know, a rational and sane human that isn't a traitor. That's all we're looking for here, folks.

HERE HERE!

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Mark Knight said:

It's blatantly obvious that the Republicans aren't seeking to govern. Instead, this is the Revenge Tour. A large segment of the Republicans simply want to use their majority in the House to wreak revenge on those they designate as "enemies."

In another sense, what we've seen over the past 3 days is the legacy of the "Reagan Revolution." This generation was brought up on the "government is evil" rhetoric of those years. They are out to dismantle government in any and every way possible. The only legislation I've heard any of them advocate is repeal oriented.  The want no part of DOING anything; their mission is UNDOING things that came before. The anarchy they are demonstrating in the House is an example of how they intend to "govern."

I also don't think McCarthy deserves to be Speaker of the House, because he's spineless. But until someone nominates a candidate who is moderate enough to win over some Democrats, the 20 who are staunchly against McCarthy will continue to have their way, and gum up the works of government.

And that is not by accident. That's by design.

MK--

In some ways I agree with your assessment. 

But then there was also the "Clinton Triangulation."

Somewhere along the way the Donks largely linked arms with the 'Phants on trade, immigration and war-making. 

Is there a difference between a Clinton Foreign Policy and a Reagan Foreign Policy? Liz Cheney and HRC? 

My contention that the de facto positions on trade, immigration and endless outlays for war have undermined the US employee or middle class. 

The quality of life for average people in the US is well below that of the 1960s. I know, I lived through it. 

Today, Biden never talks about wages or working conditions or keeping labor markets tight, or gigantic and growing trade deficits. In fact he knifed railroad workers in the back and has expanded military outlays. 

I do not condone or even understand some of the right-wing  whackos in Congress. 

I do understand populist sentiments that DC is not working for America. I believe that is an accurate take on DC. 

I hope for a better, more mature and reasonable party, perhaps a new party, to arise out of that sentiment. 

Right now the 'Phants are badly failing at their true obligations. I can't say the Donks have done much better, except perhaps as theater. 

Stop the Steal' organizer threatens to reveal evidence of 'crime' committed by Marjorie Taylor Greene
By Travis Gettys 01/05/23
http://https://www.rawstory.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-ali-alexander/

""Stop the Steal" organizer Ali Alexander threatened to expose some unspecified crime that he claims Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) committed.
The right-wing agitator stepped up his attacks on the Georgia Republican, whose support for Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) as House speaker opened a rift with Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), with an apparent blackmail threat and a string of misogynist slurs, reported Right Wing Watch.

“I will not suffer this harlot," Alexander said on his Telegram page. "I will not be taught vows and loyalty, commitment from a whore! You have got me mistaken for some damn fool, and a fool, Ali Alexander has never been called.""

"Ho, go home! I am done with you," he added. "You are lukewarm, I am spitting you out of my mouth. You played me, and no more. Everyone will know about your drunken night, because the consultants who have drunk with you will have to choose whether they fear me or whether they fear you, and they fear me, Marge. They fear me a lot more than they fear you.""

Whoa

Steve Thomas

9 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Stop the Steal' organizer threatens to reveal evidence of 'crime' committed by Marjorie Taylor Greene
By Travis Gettys 01/05/23
http://https://www.rawstory.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-ali-alexander/

""Stop the Steal" organizer Ali Alexander threatened to expose some unspecified crime that he claims Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) committed.
The right-wing agitator stepped up his attacks on the Georgia Republican, whose support for Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) as House speaker opened a rift with Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), with an apparent blackmail threat and a string of misogynist slurs, reported Right Wing Watch.

“I will not suffer this harlot," Alexander said on his Telegram page. "I will not be taught vows and loyalty, commitment from a whore! You have got me mistaken for some damn fool, and a fool, Ali Alexander has never been called.""

"Ho, go home! I am done with you," he added. "You are lukewarm, I am spitting you out of my mouth. You played me, and no more. Everyone will know about your drunken night, because the consultants who have drunk with you will have to choose whether they fear me or whether they fear you, and they fear me, Marge. They fear me a lot more than they fear you.""

Whoa

Steve Thomas

This is funny Steve.

James Dean's iconic "Rebel Without A Cause " line comes to mind here with this Republican "Rumble In The Chambers" ...

"YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!"

A remake with Kevin McCarthy as Jim Stark and Marjorie Taylor Green as Judy.

Kurt Bardella, a Los Angeles Times columnist and former House Oversight Committee staffer on the Republican side.

“...less than 10 percent of the Republican caucus is holding the entire thing hostage. And what is McCarthy’s response to it? It’s to give them more. It’s to try to negotiate. There’s a reason why the official policy in the United States of America is ‘We don't negotiate with terrorists.’”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kevin-mccarthy-is-proof-you-dont-negotiate-with-terrorists?ref=scroll

Steve Thomas