• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

9 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Thomas should be impeached, and some elected official, like Biden for instance, should stand up and say so. 

As far as the President calling it out, I guess they'll always invoke the separation of powers. And the fact that it's Thomas's wife, and not Thomas. But still politicians should  speak out about it, But it looks like the best we can get out of it, is a demand that he recuses himself in the future.

It's hard to determine just what issue would get people demonstrating in front of the court for weeks at a time, but that does heighten public awareness of the problem.

I'm for throwing the book at the lot of them.

Once again it's aspiring U.S. immigrant Ben in breathless disbelief that there's actually  inequities in the American justice system. That's not what he was told in Thailand!  As for buffalo wings, a bit too fancifully white for me, not very real. I have more compassion for a black whose already served twice his sentence for possession of a pot seed.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich and other peace negotiators suffer suspected poisoning symptoms

by Travis Gettys March 28, 2022

https://www.rawstory.com/roman-abramovich-ukraine/

“Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich and other Ukrainian peace negotiators reportedly suffered symptoms of a suspected poisoning earlier this month.

Abramovich and other negotiators, including Crimean Tatar lawmaker Rustem Umerov, developed symptoms including red eyes, constant and painful tearing, and peeling skin on their faces and hands after a meeting in Kyiv, although they have since improved and their lives are not in danger, reported the Wall Street Journal.

"They blamed the suspected attack on hard-liners in Moscow who they said wanted to sabotage talks to end the war," the newspaper reported. "A person close to Mr. Abramovich said it wasn’t clear who had targeted the group."”

Russia's version of the Deep State doesn't mess around.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

As far as the President calling it out, I guess they'll always invoke the separation of powers. And the fact that it's Thomas's wife, and not Thomas. But still politicians should  speak out about it, But it looks like the best we can get out of it, is a demand that he recuses himself in the future.

It's hard to determine just what issue would get people demonstrating in front of the court for weeks at a time, but that does heighten public awareness of the problem.

I'm for throwing the book at the lot of them.

Once again it's aspiring U.S. immigrant Ben in breathless disbelief that there's actually  inequities in the American justice system. That's not what he was told in Thailand!  As for buffalo wings, a bit too fancifully white for me, not very real. I have more compassion for a black whose already served twice his sentence for possession of a pot seed.

I don’t think the issue is whether Biden or anyone else can get Thomas impeached. It’s the noise I want. If this was a ‘left’ Justice the Republicans would scream. Democrats should in my opinion do that now. It’s intolerable. 

Understood Paul, when I say "invoked", I didn't mean in a legal sense. Only that there's always been a stigma about the President weighing in on Supreme Court decisions, as being inappropriate to separation of powers.  I can't think of a specific incident, but it could be that with Trump , that has already gone out the window. I'm only trying to tell you the pittance that you can expect.

However. I think if the Democrats want to show up for the midterms, they do have to start distinguishing themselves from the Republicans. Maybe that's what they're trying to do with these 2 issues they are rolling out today.

Adam Schiff is introducing a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United.

Congressman Schiff Introduces Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United

This has no realistic chance of passing as it would need approval by 3/4 of the State legislature. But the Democrats should start forcing issues to show the party against wealth inequality and influence is the Democrats and the party favoring the super wealthy is the Republicans.

https://schiff.house.gov/news/press-releases/congressman-schiff-introduces-constitutional-amendment-to-overturn-citizens-united

Biden's proposing a 20% billionaire tax. It affects the taxation of everyone over 100 million in assets. Despite claims that the Democrats are in bed with Tech, it would have a great effect on Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerburg, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates. Apparently there are 4 mega wealthy Republicans that this would effect in Congress as well. It will be interesting to see how watered down this would become and why.

President Joe Biden to propose new 20% minimum billionaire tax

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/26/president-joe-biden-to-propose-new-20percent-minimum-billionaire-tax-.html

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.841840/gov.uscourts.cacd.841840.260.0.pdf

Based on the evidence, the Court finds it more likely than not that President Trump corruptly attempted to obstruct the Joint Session of Congress on January 6, 2021

Based on these repeated meetings and statements, the evidence shows that an agreement to enact the electoral count plan likely existed between President Trump and Dr. Eastman.
Deceitful or dishonest means
Obstruction of a lawful government function violates § 371 when it is carried out “by deceit, craft or trickery, or at least by means that are dishonest.”248 While acting on a “good faith misunderstanding” of the law is not dishonest, “merely disagreeing with the law does not constitute a good faith misunderstanding . . . because all persons have a duty to obey the law whether or not they agree with it.”
The Court discussed above how the evidence shows that President Trump likely knew that the electoral count plan was illegal. President Trump continuing to push that plan despite being aware of its illegality constituted obstruction by “dishonest” means under § 371

DISPOSITION
Dr. Eastman and President Trump launched a campaign to overturn a democratic election, an action unprecedented in American history. Their campaign was not confined to the ivory tower—it was a coup in search of a legal theory. The plan spurred violent attacks on the seat of our nation’s government, led to the deaths of several law enforcement officers, and
deepened public distrust in our political process.

With this limited mandate, the Court finds the following ten documents privileged:
4553; 4793; 4794; 4828; 5097; 5101; 5113; 5412; 5424; 5719.289 The Court ORDERS Dr. Eastman to disclose the other one hundred and one documents to the House Select Committee.

DATED: March 28, 2022
DAVID O. CARTER
UNITED STATES DISTRICT JUDGE

Steve Thomas

15 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Bob,

Do you have an opinion about a 20 year sentence for Donald Trump and his Willard Hotel cabal for conspiring to obstruct Congress's certification of a U.S. Presidential election?

Well, it looks like Judge David Carter answered my question just a few hours after I posted it last night.

Meanwhile, the Congressional 1/6 investigation still seems to be proceeding at a snail's pace.

Wasn't the Congressional 1/6 committee originally planning to conduct public hearings back in January?

Edited by W. Niederhut

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Well, it looks like Judge David Carter answered my question just a few hours after I posted it last night.

Meanwhile, the Congressional 1/6 investigation still seems to be proceeding at a snail's pace.

Wasn't the Congressional 1/6 committee originally planning to conduct public hearings back in January?

They are looking for Ginni Thomas' buffalo horns.  That will cap the case. 

5 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

The humanitarian disaster called Ukraine....

Poland is advocating a stronger military response from the West. The Poles are right there, living with the Russian bear daily. I trust the Poles on this one. 

Arming Ukrainians with only light weapons may extend the misery for years. Allowing Putin to dictate the terms of battle...really? That is a strategy? 

Biden seems overwhelmed, even erratic. Yet Biden does not have leadership options, as both his Secy of Defense and veep seem underpowered also. 

Assigning Poland as the "point man" on Ukraine, and the US follows might be the best option. After all, Poland will taking by  far the largest risks in any aggressive policy. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

16 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I see nothing in the record that suggests Alberts is wearing an ankle bracelet or monitor. Have you a source on that? I am trying to follow his case, but see nothing. 

In regards to MC Alberts: MINUTE ORDER: Having considered the arguments in the parties' filings, the Court hereby DENIES defendant's 41 Motion for Modification of Conditions of Release. An adjustment of defendant's release conditions would be warranted "if there ha[d] been a development... that would affect the Court's assessment of the 'least restrictive' conditions of release that 'will reasonably assure... the safety of any other person and the community.'" See United States v. Henry, 314 F. Supp. 3d 130, 133 (D.D.C. 2018) (citing 18 U.S.C. ยง 3142(c)). The Court does not find anything to indicate that modification is warranted here. Defendant specifically challenges the requirement that he wear a GPS ankle bracelet. In the time since defendant was released on certain conditions, there have been developments, as the government points out, that further justify the need for the conditions imposed. These developments include evidence proffered by the government that defendant assaulted law enforcement officers with a wooden object, resulting in superseding indictments that added felony offenses; and evidence indicating that, on January 6, 2021, defendant threatened that he and other rioters "are going to come back even more, and we're not going to come back peacefully, and we're not going to come back unarmed." See Gov't Opp'n at 6. Given these developments and the nature of the charges, the Court finds that the conditions of release imposed on defendant remain warranted to assure the safety of the community. Although the Court appreciates defendant's compliance with his conditions of release, and encourages his continued compliance, that "is not enough to warrant adjustment of [his] pretrial release conditions." See Henry, 314 F. Supp. 3d at 133. Defendant also alludes to occasional malfunctions of the GPS ankle monitor. Defendant should raise any such issues with his pre-trial services officer. So Ordered by Judge Christopher R. Cooper on 3/1/2022. (lccrc3)

17 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Why was Mr Buffalo Horns jailed pending trial, prosecuted and then sent to prison long ago...while Alberts has never been prosecuted, and has been free?

"Mr. Buffalo Horns" admitted guilt and pled guilty? Facing a potential 20 year sentence and having no place of residence or anyone to vouch for him means he's an extreme flight risk. That has something to do with it. His time served comes off his sentence btw.

Alberts has at least two superseding indictments that has stack several charges onto his plate which weren't there on January 7th. How he's out on PR is beyond me but he still has to wear a GPS device.

3 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

In regards to MC Alberts: MINUTE ORDER: Having considered the arguments in the parties' filings, the Court hereby DENIES defendant's 41 Motion for Modification of Conditions of Release. An adjustment of defendant's release conditions would be warranted "if there ha[d] been a development... that would affect the Court's assessment of the 'least restrictive' conditions of release that 'will reasonably assure... the safety of any other person and the community.'" See United States v. Henry, 314 F. Supp. 3d 130, 133 (D.D.C. 2018) (citing 18 U.S.C. ยง 3142(c)). The Court does not find anything to indicate that modification is warranted here. Defendant specifically challenges the requirement that he wear a GPS ankle bracelet. In the time since defendant was released on certain conditions, there have been developments, as the government points out, that further justify the need for the conditions imposed. These developments include evidence proffered by the government that defendant assaulted law enforcement officers with a wooden object, resulting in superseding indictments that added felony offenses; and evidence indicating that, on January 6, 2021, defendant threatened that he and other rioters "are going to come back even more, and we're not going to come back peacefully, and we're not going to come back unarmed." See Gov't Opp'n at 6. Given these developments and the nature of the charges, the Court finds that the conditions of release imposed on defendant remain warranted to assure the safety of the community. Although the Court appreciates defendant's compliance with his conditions of release, and encourages his continued compliance, that "is not enough to warrant adjustment of [his] pretrial release conditions." See Henry, 314 F. Supp. 3d at 133. Defendant also alludes to occasional malfunctions of the GPS ankle monitor. Defendant should raise any such issues with his pre-trial services officer. So Ordered by Judge Christopher R. Cooper on 3/1/2022. (lccrc3)

"Mr. Buffalo Horns" admitted guilt and pled guilty? Facing a potential 20 year sentence and having no place of residence or anyone to vouch for him means he's an extreme flight risk. That has something to do with it. His time served comes off his sentence btw.

Alberts has at least two superseding indictments that has stack several charges onto his plate which weren't there on January 7th. How he's out on PR is beyond me but he still has to wear a GPS device.

A sincere thanks for the info. 

I agree, why Alberts is not in jail is mystifying. I did not know Alberts also assaulted an officer with a wooden object...and is still out on the streets, in addition to having carried a Glock and 24 rounds of ammo into the Capitol on 1/6. And wearing body armor and holding a gas mask. 

This sounds like a seriously dangerous dude. My guess is he also a federal informant (of which the FBI seems to have thousands if not tens of thousands), and so Alberts' prosecution will be delayed indefinitely. 

I disagree with your sentiments on Mr. Buffalo Horns (Jacob Chansley). The Phoenix gadfly, penniless, homeless, a veteran and mentally off-kilter, had no prior criminal record. His one offense was to walk into the Capitol building on 1/6 and his real offense was to become a public figure. 

In short, Alberts should be in prison, and not Mr. Buffalo Horns.

But hey, so it goes. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

A sincere thanks for the info. 

I agree, why Alberts is not in jail is mystifying. I did not know Alberts also assaulted an officer with a wooden object...and is still out on the streets, in addition to having carried a Glock and 24 rounds of ammo into the Capitol on 1/6. And wearing body armor and holding a gas mask. 

This sounds like a seriously dangerous dude. My guess is he also a federal informant (of which the FBI seems to have thousands if not tens of thousands), and so Alberts' prosecution will be delayed indefinitely. 

I disagree with your sentiments on Mr. Buffalo Horns (Jacob Chansley). The Phoenix gadfly, penniless, homeless, a veteran and mentally off-kilter, had no prior criminal record. His one offense was to walk into the Capitol building on 1/6 and his real offense was to become a public figure. 

In short, Alberts should be in prison, and not Mr. Buffalo Horns.

But hey, so it goes. 

I dunno. Judges and juries are pretty good at sorting out this kind of thing. They get it right most of the time. You and I rarely get all the information and nuances.

I suspect Alberts was facing a trespassing type of charge to begin with and that ramped up after the superseding indictments.