The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

1 hour ago, Chris Barnard said:

As per usual Matt, you only see absolutes. Its another emotional response. I don’t think Miles is suggesting that zero education is the way forward, only that there may be changes or trends that are changing in schooling and academia that are worrying some. 

To my thinking, 'schools' are one thing, and 'public schools' are another.  There are private schools that can choose how much of the liberal agenda they want or don't want.  

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

The discussion of primary level education in this day and age and with our society so diverse in so many ways can make your head spin.

Where do you jump in?

I guess one might start by reflecting on their own personal education experience from early childhood and even infancy and birth.

A mother's love is the beginning, is it not?

Nurturing, protecting, guiding, comforting, loving, teaching of language and behavior.

Without this or to different degrees the neglect of it ... anything later is a crap shoot.

Out of the home public education starting with day care and kindergarten is usually the beginning of teaching a child socializing skills and understanding.

That is good. And I believe we do a good job of it.

Kids from multiple sibling families are also educated in socializing. Kind of a head start on those who are not?

However, the multiple sibling social skill learning experience can be as bad as good depending on the mental, moral and often economic health of the entire family

Beyond the socializing experience the most important academic teaching at the very earliest levels of public education imo are always reading and writing skills.

The vast majority of children who went on to excel in the higher primary grades were the ones who grasped these skills early on from my memory.

It's easy to understand the importance and value of these first educational precepts concepts.

However, the coherent discussion and debate larger picture of public and private education in this country of ours "beyond the first few years of childhood" will take mammoth sized thought analysis talent and effort which I am not capable of ... especially at this moment.

All I can right now say is I hope and pray we figure out a system that works and brings us all closer together more so than we are currently.

Edited by Joe Bauer

DONALD J. TRUMP,
Plaintiff,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Defendant.
________________________________/
THE UNITED STATES’ MOTION FOR A PARTIAL STAY PENDING APPEAL

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.69.0_2.pdf

Donald J. Trump v. the United States of America.

Steve Thomas

Bannon was a "small time" grifter swindled $20 million from GOP suckers,

Trump is a big time grifter who swindled $250 million from GOP suckers.

A federal grand jury indicted Bannon for his crime. He surrendered yesterday.

A federal grand is about to indict Trump for his crime.

Trump Save America PAC eyed by federal grand jury (cnbc.com)

Trump Save America PAC eyed by federal grand jury (cnbc.com)

3 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

To my thinking, 'schools' are one thing, and 'public schools' are another.  There are private schools that can choose how much of the liberal agenda they want or don't want.  

There are two separate things here if we drill down. To some extent, yes thats true, Pamela. Should that be subject to affordability? It always has been To some degree. It really feeds into a caste system that some believe will happen with technocracy implemented. A lack of social mobility in society I think is a bad thing. 

I think we’re talking about more than that. Some have been highly critical of how even the most prestigious academic institutions are adopting methods which teach students what to think and not how to think. I always reject this being ‘liberal’ as traditional liberals are pro-freedom, choice and liberty. They guaranteed freedom and rights of the individual. What people are calling Neo-liberalism is happy to supersede any of that for collectivism or greater good. I think this opens up a broader conversation.

4 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

Headline from today's Houston Chronical about Texas public school teachers: The goal of the rightwing extremists is to destroy public education or bend it to where is espouses conservative misinformation. 

Poll: 77% of Texas teachers want to quit

22 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Headline from today's Houston Chronical about Texas public school teachers: The goal of the rightwing extremists is to destroy public education or bend it to where is espouses conservative misinformation. 

Poll: 77% of Texas teachers want to quit

School districts in California's poorest urban areas are begging for teachers as well.

30 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'EPSTEIN ISLAND ESPIONAGE ISLAND'

Ha!

And don't forget, Trump stated publicly he felt bad for prolific child sex trafficking Ghislaine Maxwell's conviction and imprisonment.

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

The goal of the rightwing extremists is to destroy public education or bend it to where is espouses conservative misinformation. 

Correct.

100% correct.

Thankfully, they will fail. All they're actually doing is mobilizing once-dormant legions of normal, decent Americans to get out to the polls to fight against their unAmerican war on our nation's children.