The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

15 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

DG-

Well, no one knew except Douglas Caddy. 

Query: Let's accept what you say as true.

Was Trump's brand of personal diplomacy with Putin actually a success?

After all, as soon as Trump left office, Putin invaded Ukraine, on Biden's watch.

The Biden Administration made signal errors: 1.  All but publicly offering Zelensky refuge (thus signaling defeat), and 2) also signaling it would never send troops to Ukraine and would honor Russia's no-fly zone over Ukraine. 

None of this exonerates Putin, who is obviously a revanchist thug, and also a crony capitalist who has made alliance with the Orthodox (Catholic) church (in short, a typical US ally, if in Latin America). 

So now the US effectively pours money into Communist China and is at war with capitalist-religious Russia. 

Funny how things turn out. 

Were we better off with Trump making deals on his secret cell phone on golf courses? 

No, I do not claim to be the only person to know. Those who know how the world works know.

The middle of a golf course has long been known as a safe place to have a confidential conversation.

Nixon's first public step outside after he resigned the presidency was with Anthony Provenzano in the middle of a golf course in New Jersey. What did they talk about? The Wikipedia entry about the union leader/mafia kingpin gives us a big hint.

Anthony Provenzano - Wikipedia

One of my favorite novelists, John D. MacDonald, wrote in one of his best-selling books about three lawyers who were playing golf with a judge. While the judge was getting ready to swing his club at the ball, the lawyers a short distance away talked casually but loud enough for him to hear about an inside stock tip that would pay off bigtime. Of course, it was just small talk among the lawyers and only a coincidence later when the judge ruled in their favor in an important case for which they stood to receive a lucrative fee.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

New York Times headline today:

Social Security’s Cost-of-Living Increase Will Be Largest in Four Decades, an Estimate Says

Retirees will learn the amount of the increase for 2023 in October, and the current estimate is that it will be 8.7%.

46 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

No, I do not claim to be the only person to know. Those who know how the world works know.

The middle of a golf course has long been known as a safe place to have a confidential conversation.

Nixon's first public step outside after he resigned the presidency was with Anthony Provenzano in the middle of a golf course in New Jersey. What did they talk about? The Wikipedia entry about the union leader/mafia kingpin gives us a big hint.

Anthony Provenzano - Wikipedia

One of my favorite novelists, John D. MacDonald, wrote in one of his best-selling books about three lawyers who were playing golf with a judge. While the judge was getting ready to swing his club at the ball, the lawyers a short distance away talked casually but loud enough for him to hear about an inside stock tip that would pay off bigtime. Of course, it was just small talk among the lawyers and only a coincidence later when the judge ruled in their favor in an important case for which they stood to receive a lucrative fee.

Bump.

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

New York Times headline today:

Social Security’s Cost-of-Living Increase Will Be Largest in Four Decades, an Estimate Says

Retirees will learn the amount of the increase for 2023 in October, and the current estimate is that it will be 8.7%.

Though it will be eaten up immediately by in particular my electric (natural gas) bill and property taxes it can't get there quick enough.  In my case it will help slow the bleeding somewhat.

These 97 Members of Congress
Reported Trades in Companies
Influenced by Their Committees

Pelosi and the Dems are now trying to pass a bill outlawing trading in stocks that Congressional members have committees in. In this article Kate Kelly exposes 97 members of Congress that "have the appearance" of conflict of interest. Interestingly it's pretty much right down the middle in Democrat to Republican with a slight edge.49-47 to the Democrats, who also have a slight edge in Congress. Both Pelosi and Mitch Mac Connell have appearances, but apparently not Schumer.

Notable Republicans:Rand Paul, Adam Kinzinger, Thomas Massie, Mo Brooks, Dan Crenshaw, James Imhoffe

Notable Democrats:Diane Feinstein, Zoe Lofgren, Tammy Duckworth, Ro Khanna, John Hickenlooper, Mark Warner

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/09/13/us/politics/congress-members-stock-trading-list.html?searchResultPosition=1

-Lauren Boebert -

https://boingboing.net/2022/09/14/video-lauren-boeber-confuses-wonton-and-wanton.html

"Congressmoron Lauren Boebert (R-Colorado) reads a scene from her beloved Bible describing how the Romans apparently destroy their enemies with delicious dumplings:"

"'And then, all hell broke loose. Rampant, evil, grabbing and grasping, vicious backstabbing. They made life hell on Earth with their envy wonton killing. I don't know what a wonton killing is. I'm gonna have to look that one up.  But it sounds interesting. I don't think I wanna be a part of it."

Steve Thomas

28 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

-Lauren Boebert -

https://boingboing.net/2022/09/14/video-lauren-boeber-confuses-wonton-and-wanton.html

"Congressmoron Lauren Boebert (R-Colorado) reads a scene from her beloved Bible describing how the Romans apparently destroy their enemies with delicious dumplings:"

"'And then, all hell broke loose. Rampant, evil, grabbing and grasping, vicious backstabbing. They made life hell on Earth with their envy wonton killing. I don't know what a wonton killing is. I'm gonna have to look that one up.  But it sounds interesting. I don't think I wanna be a part of it."

Steve Thomas

Steve,

The only thing I can say in Colorado's defense is that Lauren Boebert is from Florida.

And I'm, frankly, amazed that some Republicans in Colorado still want to re-elect this lady to Congress.

Meanwhile, another shocker.  Bill Barr's Durham investigation is, officially, a nothing burger.

Durham investigation ends after three years of searching, $40 million spent, and nothing found (dailykos.com)

Edited by W. Niederhut