The Education Forum

Clay Shaw - Garrison - New Orleans

Guest Bart Kamp

On 5/7/2020 at 7:11 PM, Stu Wexler said:

Just tellling you why--  not advocating--  but I believe the issue with Delphine Roberts is two-fold for some:

1) She ultimately was not, if I recall, the most cooperative witness for Garrison.

2) She was associated with radical right wing groups like the National States Rights Party.

-Stu

Talking to Garrison in the first few years could have been a death sentence.

And if Roberts was ultra right wing why would she say anything that would go against that sentiment such as revealing her revered super right wing boss Banister to be a xxxx regards his association with a commie like Oswald? 

If she was of the same political, social and racial mind set of her boss Banister ( even having an affair with him ) you'd think she would never say anything to disparage him and his legacy.

Her claim about this association would make Banister out to be a XXXX and implicate him in something incredibly bad.

And I just can't see her being paid to expose Banister's association with Oswald.

I am reminded of hip- talking New Orleans attorney Dean Andrews ( who took care of downtown gay boys when they were rounded up courtesy of Clay Bertrand's largess ) and who did some legal work for Oswald as well.

When someone told him Oswald was passing out pamphlets a few blocks away he ran down to confront his former dead beat client to remind him of his unpaid legal fee bill.

When Andrews reached Oswald he asked him what was goin' on...and Andrews claimed Oswald simply responded "It's a job." Oswald was being paid to do that FPFC gig.

Hmmm, who in the world would pay Oswald to do such a thing? Let us guess.

42 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

That's pretty interesting. I had always assumed Shaw's alias stemmed from Bertrand Russell, the writer and philosopher who campaigned for gay rights.

In its Francophone pronunciation, Bertrand sounds like an old French-origin NOLA name.

Born Laverne C. Shaw, Shaw reversed his two first names and spelled the new middle name, LaVerne, in the French style.  (The name is in some renderings Lavergne, even more Gallic.)

Edited by David Andrews

On 5/17/2020 at 12:13 PM, Micah Mileto said:

I searched "Clay Bertrand 1950-1963" on newspapers.com. Apparently there was a boxer in Louisiana named Clay Bertrand who made the papers a few times.

It must be an alias.   There is no such boxer listed at boxrec.com.   can you give me several dates of his bouts and his opponents and location and I will research.

3 hours ago, Richard Price said:

Cory, I found an article that mentions Opelousas’ Clay Bertrand as losing a high school boxing championship to George Hanks in 1953.  He may have only boxed in high school.

The article can be found here:  https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/2014/06/28/former-prep-boxing-stars-inducted-hall-fame/11661713/

Thanks.   Yes it was high school.   For some reason boxrec is down but I will check.   If he turned pro then something will show.  It is not Clay Shaw but tracking down this person might be interesting to see if there is any connection.