The Education Forum

Lee Harvey Oswald double Michael Paine 11/24/63

I've been saying for a while, since back on Robert Harris JFK site that a 30 ish Michael Paine could easily pass for a 23yr old LHO in 62/63 as long as it was brief 1 off contacts especially from a some distance away. eg. At a rifle range or post office or in and out of a corner shop, or sitting/driving by in a red convertible or walking into a foreign embassy in Mexico City whilst having your photo taken.

Which wrist did Mr.Paine wear his watch on? Did he like to lurk around in doorways whilst secretly praying? Was he positively confirmed to be at work at Bell between noon and 1.30pm on November 22nd 63. By more then a phone call?

Dont get me started on Michael Paine. 

By the way Vince, you seem to have a strong "DVP"(He who shall not be named) video fetish going on at the moment. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Regards,

Adam. 

the problem with all of this "look alike"stuff is that to our contemporary eyes a lot of people look the same in these years because hair was generally clipped so short. Not to mention that everybody was thin in those days.That's a problem here; there were probably 10 LHO look-alikes on every Dallas block.

Edited by Allen Lowe

On 1/17/2021 at 12:55 AM, Vince Palamara said:

I've seen this interview of Michael Paine 2 or 3 times in the past and just viewed it again.

Some thoughts and observations on Paine.

He does sound educated to a good vocabulary degree.

He seems very uncomfortably cautious in speaking. Halting often for seconds at a time. He also avoids eye to eye contact much more than the average person.

He comes across as dour, overly serious and perhaps even secretive as the man he is passing evaluative judgement on...Lee Harvey Oswald.

Nothing close to a relaxed at ease facial expression or smile.

No life of the party this Michael Paine.

And yet, we are told that Paine loved to hang out in coffee shops frequented by young college people hoping to engage them in conversation, usually political?

He initiated the same with Oswald? 

I am sure Oswald didn't go up to this guy first and say..."Hey Mike, hows about you and I talk commie philosophy shop?"

Paine wanted to know where Oswald was at. He obviously asked Oswald a lot of questions about his political beliefs, his time in Russia, etc.

Closed conversation Oswald would never just blurt his beliefs and exeriences out without prompting.

Michael Paine's extraordinary interest in this realm of political thought and conversation is worthy of consideration.

Is he a member of any political organization besides maybe the ACLU?

He attends meetings of political groups however and he likes to engage others in this subject matter.

He was of the Quacker affiliation as was his wife Ruth but it seems she was the more commited. 

He sang in choirs, he bowled, he built model helicopters.

He and/or Ruth kept files on certain people unless those were Oswald's files.

If you read Micheal Paine's biography from childhood it's remarkeable how deeply immersed his well heeled father was in political activity, including social interaction with communist minded others.

Edited by Joe Bauer

6 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

I've seen this interview of Michael Paine 2 or 3 times in the past and just viewed it again.

Some thoughts and observations on Paine.

He does sound educated to a good vocabulary degree.

He seems very uncomfortably cautious in speaking. Halting often for seconds at a time. He also avoids eye to eye contact much more than the average person.

He comes across as dour, overly serious and perhaps even secretive as the man he is passing evaluative judgement on...Lee Harvey Oswald.

Nothing close to a relaxed at ease facial expression or smile.

No life of the party this Michael Paine.

And yet, we are told that Paine loved to hang out in coffee shops frequented by young college people hoping to engage them in conversation, usually political?

He initiated the same with Oswald? 

I am sure Oswald didn't go up to this guy first and say..."Hey Mike, hows about you and I talk commie philosophy shop?"

Paine wanted to know where Oswald was at. He obviously asked Oswald a lot of questions about his political beliefs, his time in Russia, etc.

Closed conversation Oswald would never just blurt his beliefs and exeriences out without prompting.

Michael Paine's extraordinary interest in this realm of political thought and conversation is curious considering his real life station. 

Is he a member of any political organization besides maybe the ACLU?

He attends meetings of political groups however and he likes to engage others in this subject matter.

He was of the Quacker affiliation as was his wife Ruth but it seems she was the more commited. 

He sang in choirs, he bowled, he built model helicopters.

He and Ruth kept files on certain people unless those were Oswald's files.

If you read Micheal Paine's biography from childhood it's remarkeable how deeply immersed his well heeled father was in political activity, including social interaction with communist minded others.

When I hear Paine disparaging Oswald regards Oswald's lack of any true academic understanding of political philosophy and the real world ( Paine has to mention dismissively that Oswald gained his beliefs by a simple reading of some books on Marxism ) and how illogical Oswald's beliefs were...I see an intellectual elitism arrogance.

He gives not one empathetic quarter to Oswald regards Oswald adopting his bitter "exploitation of man by men" feelings by even trying to consider the fact that Oswald adopted these beliefs after living a formative years childhood of extreme lowest income neglect under the American way of life.

Where as Michael Paine's childhood under the same system was one of wealthy privilege, protection, nurturing and opportunity, especially academically. 

And what of the recorded phone call between Ruth and Michael Paine right after Oswald's arrest?

The one where Michael Paine says to Ruth..."we both know who's responsible."?

Lots of contradiction and intrigue with Michael Paine imo.

Good observations.

Never gave it much thought, but now that it's been mentioned, Michael Paine does have enough physical look similarities that from a distance I could see someone mistaking the two.

Head and face shape. Open forehead, thin receding chin. Receding hair line, same color hair, shorter hair cut and similar skin tone. Same small frame body and thinness. Same non-smiling overly serious look and eye contact avoiding.

Looks more like an older Oswald brother than Robert Oswald.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Vince P.

After reading more about Michael Paine I discovered how limited my research knowledge is.

A too often made mistake on my part regards posting my opinions on any given subject and then realizing later on how uninformed they really are.

I just edited my Michael Paine post to correct it in this regards and context.

I regret the reposting by you of my earlier flawed post and wish I could change or erase it myself, but I can't.

I need to step back and keep in mind how uniformed I really am in almost every area of JFK research and stop putting my foot in my mouth by posting such in this esteemed forum.

I need to go back to reading more and posting less.

Edited by Joe Bauer

What I hear from Mr. Paine is that he could not have a conversation with LHO because he was irrational, yet they both spoke to each other in length about various subjects. 

A contradiction from Mr. Paine.

Edited by Keyvan Shahrdar