The Education Forum

Dealey Plaza model from the film JFK

Every time I watch JFK, when it gets to the courtroom scene and shows that model of Dealey Plaza I tell my wife how much I wish I had that. Well, yesterday morning I thought I'd Google it just out of curiosity to maybe see what happened to the prop from the film. See if it sold at auction and how much it went for. So, I didn't see anything about that but found an image that led me to a website of a model company in Louisiana. Turns out they were the ones who created the model for the film. I emailed them and they finally responded back tonight. Said it would be like $5K plus probably for them to build another one. Said they got all the info on dimensions and such from people associated with the film and would have to get those back if the needed to build another. Just thought y'all would get a kick out of that! 😂😂😂 I told my wife "You know if they said $500 instead of $5K I'd have ponied up that without hesitation, right?" She shook her head in agreement, lol! A trip to Dealey Plaza has ALWAYS been my dream vacation and she knows it. I had tried to get my Dad to go with me for the 50th anniversary but he didn't want to. He drove a truck for many years and he lived in Houston for a few years. Her Dad passed away in December but they had to set up an estate and won't get the insurance settlement until September. But she keeps saying she's taking me probably sometime next year to fulfil my lifelong dream of visiting there. I have relatives who are now living in San Antonio and near Dallas that I can visit as well. Anyway, I just thought y'all would get a good laugh at my inquiry into that model. My wife always watches those lottery dream home shows and I just told her that if we won the lottery I'd have like a scaled down playground size model of Dealey Plaza in the backyard somewhere. Lol!

I happened to be in the museum a few weeks ago and I snapped this pic.  I didn't think of looking at the text description but this appears to be the same model used in the movie.  I wonder why the Hertz sign is blank.  It wasn't blank in the movie.

WnLCrNj.jpg

Edited by Dan Rice

13 hours ago, Jamey Flanagan said:

Every time I watch JFK, when it gets to the courtroom scene and shows that model of Dealey Plaza I tell my wife how much I wish I had that. Well, yesterday morning I thought I'd Google it just out of curiosity to maybe see what happened to the prop from the film. See if it sold at auction and how much it went for. So, I didn't see anything about that but found an image that led me to a website of a model company in Louisiana. Turns out they were the ones who created the model for the film. I emailed them and they finally responded back tonight. Said it would be like $5K plus probably for them to build another one. Said they got all the info on dimensions and such from people associated with the film and would have to get those back if the needed to build another. Just thought y'all would get a kick out of that! 😂😂😂 I told my wife "You know if they said $500 instead of $5K I'd have ponied up that without hesitation, right?" She shook her head in agreement, lol! A trip to Dealey Plaza has ALWAYS been my dream vacation and she knows it. I had tried to get my Dad to go with me for the 50th anniversary but he didn't want to. He drove a truck for many years and he lived in Houston for a few years. Her Dad passed away in December but they had to set up an estate and won't get the insurance settlement until September. But she keeps saying she's taking me probably sometime next year to fulfil my lifelong dream of visiting there. I have relatives who are now living in San Antonio and near Dallas that I can visit as well. Anyway, I just thought y'all would get a good laugh at my inquiry into that model. My wife always watches those lottery dream home shows and I just told her that if we won the lottery I'd have like a scaled down playground size model of Dealey Plaza in the backyard somewhere. Lol!

Jamey,

I finally visited Dealey Plaza for the first time in December of 2019, and it was almost surreal.  My initial reaction to seeing the Plaza was similar to the  reaction that people like FDR and Milovan Djilas had when they first met Joseph Stalin-- it seemed much smaller than I imagined.

It's a place that, obviously, looms large in our national consciousness.

Living in the area most of my life and having been there multiple times, through it in a vehicle I'd guess close to or over a hundred or so I don't find it that small.  Though I've read several other comments about this from other visitors.

The distance from behind the fence on the grassy knoll to the X's is short.  What, 20 yards?  Nothing for a squirrel shooter, or sniper like say Chris Kyle.  A shot from the 6th floor of the TSBD while probably easy for someone like Kyle might be a little more difficult for anyone less experienced.  The extreme downward angle and the car descending a slight slope would complicate the shot.  As well as the perpetually leafed Texas Live Oaks.  The Limo stopping or almost so could have mitigated some but not all of this.

Wandering around the south knoll made me question the certainty of a shot from there given the increased distance, 50 - 60 yards?.  Sure, with a scope for a experienced practiced sniper.  But I Still can't reconcile back and to the left thought others have tried to justify such.  A .22 from there for the throat shot is conceivable but the certainty of a shot to the throat from that distance grows less certain.

Standing beneath the area of the second story second window of the Dal-Tex building made me think of setting in a deer stand in an oak tree looking downhill from a slight incline about 60 yards away.  With a scope at a relatively stable target, pretty much a sure shot.

More in a day or two regarding Mantik, Chesser and Horne. 

18 hours ago, Dan Rice said:

I happened to be in the museum a few weeks ago and I snapped this pic.  I didn't think of looking at the text description but this appears to be the same model used in the movie.  I wonder why the Hertz sign is blank.  It wasn't blank in the movie.

WnLCrNj.jpg

Convenient how the Sixth Floor model doesn't depict the south knoll or the overpass.

Hey, Jamey - have you thought of building it yourself, out of Legos?  I'm only half kidding.  It would get you on the six o'clock news.