The Education Forum

Why was Tippit killed?

Dan Rice

38 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

That "JFK" gag at DPD may have been just a period referent, meaning "Too handsome for his own good."  A few years earlier, they might have called him Elvis.

I interpret as JD Tippitt spent a lot of time in the sun, a tan is the only commonality. They look nothing alike. 

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Maybe also known as a loverboy...

Interestingly, Rose ends up doing Tippitt, Ozzie and Ruby's autopsy. In his defence he is apparently one of the ones trying to stop the SS guys taking JFK's corpse before a mandatory autopsy is done, at least according to unreliable Wiki. 

Edited by Chris Barnard

I can't answer your question, Dan, with any of the choices.  If a wild, gun-totin' stranger shot Tippit, as has been advanced here lately (and plausibly), then a lot of the scenario-making about the Oswald escape, and the Texas Theater scenario, has to be recalculated.  Not to mention assumptions about the witnesses and their later fates.

Edited by David Andrews

On 9/26/2021 at 9:07 PM, Chris Barnard said:

Q.
Is it fair to assume that Lee Harvey Oswald was not supposed to be apprehended alive? 

Absolutely. I have always believed that Oswald was supposed to get gunned down at the Texas Theater but the Dallas police blew their assignment. Consider how many cops showed up at the TT shotguns in hand. The presumption was that they were after a desperate gunman that had just shot [critically/mortally] one of their own. A Dallas police officer [as far as I could determine] had not been so assaulted since before the Bonnie and Clyde days. I could find no such records on line anyway. Also, what about reports that agents from the FBI and the Secret Service were also present at the arrest? What were they doing there?

So why didn't they gun down Oswald right then and there? Maybe McDonald screwed it up. Oswald did it supporters have claimed that the police did not wish to endanger innocent patrons [there was no one at all around Oswald] I have the original Dallas papers.... McDonald was interviewed saying that "he had his gun drawn and was ready for trouble". Mention of that is completely missing from his testimony. As a matter of course...McDonald stated that he "grabbed his suspect around the waist"--- like, Shall we dance?😆

So none of the arresting officers at the Texas Theater knew they were supposed to kill him immediately.  Hmm.  

I've long thought he wasn't supposed to ever leave the TSBD alive.

Tippit was hunting him.  From the GloCo station to the record shop, to stopping the guy to look in his back floorboard, to where he was killed.  To his dad said he was told he was by another officer.

Oswald escaped, temporarily.  The Texas Theater was a back up.  But the general population of the DPD wasn't in on the kill him aspect.  Well, maybe Bentley knew what was supposed to happen but couldn't pull it off.

Didn't Oswald yell he wasn't resisting arrest?  We don't have his testimony about it.  Him pulling his gun on multiple cops and not getting shot, by Mc Donald with his gun already drawn has seemed a little incredible to me for a few years now.

Edited by Ron Bulman

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

So none of the arresting officers at the Texas Theater knew they were supposed to kill him immediately.  Hmm.  

Him pulling his gun on multiple cops and not getting shot, by Mc Donald with his gun already drawn has seemed a little incredible to me for a few years now.

Ron, the whole story stinks.

How was Oswald sitting down with a revolver in his waistband ? That's pretty uncomfortable. He was going to do that for the length of two movies ?

With that sharp hammer sticking in his gut ?

The house lights were up. Allegedly, Oswald wasn't wearing a jacket.

Why didn't McDonald see the revolver if it was in Oswald's waistband ?

Even if the shirt was covering it, he should have seen the bulge of the handle when Oswald stood up.

After all, they were looking for an armed man.

If he saw it, why did he get close enough to "pat him down" instead of drawing his own weapon ?

What made witness George Applin  say that between Oswald and McDonald. "one of the two had a pistol in his right hand ". (CD 87, pg 558 )

Which one ? Was this weapon a "throwdown" ?

I have a lot of questions about this encounter.

Edited by Gil Jesus