The Education Forum

The ' Nash Rambler' on Elm .

Jake Hammond

15 minutes ago, Jake Hammond said:

The car behind, if it is a Caddy , looks most like a '58. I can't confirm this as I can't find the source for Robinsons statement or whether it was noted what car he drove. Randolph Carr also stated that the Rambler was parked on Houston next to the TSBD and two men got in after the shooting...

Mmmm….not sure about Randolph Carr-I definitely  like what he says but can’t help thinking he was up in the air a fair distance from the main event yet saw a hell of a lot-and he was senior in his years and wore glasses? Not sure about that, he wore a hat tho.

and wasn’t his Rambler on the wrong side of the road facing North on Houston

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah is that the ' Rambler' referred to in slide 39 of the presentation in the pop up box I added in the first post ? Which is actually a 62 chevy ? Thats on Houston. it would make sense as Carr's testimony is that it was parked next to the TSBD on Houston ( which I'd assumed was down towards the loading bay) but then went to pick up someone on Record street , which doesn't make sense if you look at a road map. But it does make sense if the car was parked where the 62 chevy was parked . Like you however, I think his statements seem quite optimistic and even if he is telling the truth then he may well have mistaken the 12.40 car with the chevy parked the wrong way. They are a similar shape, colour and year. 

Edited by Jake Hammond

17 hours ago, Jake Hammond said:

Thanks for that ! Yeah I have some old images I don't want to remove so need to figure out the smart way to do it.

I use a posting service that doesn't post images to the forum.  It posts a link to the image that works as well as posting the image.

9 minutes ago, John Butler said:

I use a posting service that doesn't post images to the forum.  It posts a link to the image that works as well as posting the image.

Thanks, I accidentally did something similar when adding a link to that slide presentation in the original post, it weirdly has opened the whole slide presentation. 

Q. Did Marvin C Robinson make a full statement ? I can't see more than short quotes via FBI. If he did we may know the colour and year of the Caddy and then we can examine the car following the Rambler in '12.40'. This would cement it in as 'The rambler'. 

Just a few small details .... Henry Hurt described the Rambler as "light-colored Nash station wagon" . This doesn't say green.

Then Randolph Carr described it as ' a grey or maybe green ' Rambler . 

This is more evidence that the car we see in the image at 12.40 and the apparent getaway vehicle for a dark complected man and an Oswald lookalike was an Echo, valley or elmhurst green, most likely 'Echo' given the various descriptions of a light and grey green, which makes it a '61. 

Also.. for those interested this is the link to the 61 colour chart https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_amc_1961

Screenshot%202023-01-26%20at%2014.59.07.

Edited by Jake Hammond

Ok, Figured out the Google images / blogger technique Sandy kindly outlined in Tips. After some more analysis I have reached the conclusion that the two cars pictured behind and next to the Echo green 61 rambler are a 57/8 Checker Cab ( next to ) and the car behind the rambler is Probably a Cadillac. 

The Cadillac has a few noticeable features despite the photo quality - It is much larger than the Rambler, it is of an older '50's' shape with tall rounded bonnet, it has a relatively slim windscreen relative to the much taller screen of the more practicality focused Rambler and Checker. Most noticeable however is the badge on the front. It appears to be a star or chevron in shape with a detail above. The Cadillac badge '56 through '59, was this shape. The issue for me is the radiator, which appears to be non existent. I can't think of any car of that period with no radiator like that, so I think what we're seeing is a complex radiator area in chrome and a car of similar colour, i.e white or silver. The heavy dark stripe being the shadow on top of the bumper. Its a real shame we can't see the lights. Looking at Caddys from this period it looks most like a 58, maybe a 59 although the fronts were getting flatter by then. the 57 and 56 years both had the protruding bullets in the grill area which I think we'd see on our right . Please see images attached. To reiterate, the car following the Rambler is a much larger , more stylish car with sportier raked windscreen. 

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6678918920273304621/6965070066734099675?hl=en# - potential Caddy

The car next to the rambler has a high front arch fairly unique grill and bumper details and again has a tall screen like the rambler. It is a large car but a practical one, in a light colour. Please see image. 

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6678918920273304621/1162123747792922068#. - checker '57

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6678918920273304621/5169981860732366437# - blow ups of cars in question. 

I also added the images of the non-Rambler  ( Chevy) parked on elm to the earlier corresponding post if anyone is interested. This I believe is then seen by Randolph Carr and maybe one other that day, but more importantly it was photographed. 

AVvXsEghN_w3BVdb1WFTZg0UrTXX9c18sR_FBI56

Edited by Jake Hammond

• 11 months later...
On 11/26/2021 at 1:24 AM, Jake Hammond said:

685707741_Screenshot2021-11-25at23_01_53.thumb.png.c5eca0060ebe541f4e527df00513c5d1.png

The image above is spurious, it does not show ' the Nash Rambler' .Or in fact, any Nash Rambler. 

Is there a timing on the above ? Is this the 12.40 h picture ? 

Looks like all traffic lanes were open (well... perhaps they never really closed them after the shooting... nothing would surprise me anymore)

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Denis Morissette said:

I think someone should refer you to someone is knowledgeable in JFK assassination photos. You thread is going somewhere. It's a mess.

Apologies, hopefully the content is still understandable and can benefit someone looking for clarification on the rambler. 

15 hours ago, Jake Hammond said:

Apologies, hopefully the content is still understandable and can benefit someone looking for clarification on the rambler. 

Jake,

I'm sorry t I can't help you with your photographic quest, but back in 2021, Gil Jesus asked a question about the driver of the car in this Forum thread:

66https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/27293-a-question-regarding-the-rambler/#comment-445109

His question was, "The witnesses who saw the driver described him as being Latin or dark-skinned.could never figure out why a Latin guy would be driving Ruth Paine's station wagon."

In 2006, I wrote an essay about what I thought was a Possible Rambler lead that goes back to the house on Harlendale. I answred Gil this way,

"is my belief that the Rambler was owned by Raul Castro, an officer of of Dallas SNFE Chapter of Alpha 66 and who met at the house on Halandale into which Oswald was seen entering and exiting. The driver was Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro.

I explored this on my web page with an article entitled, "Possible Rambler Lead?"

https://myjfksite.weebly.com/

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jake,

I'm sorry t I can't help you with your photographic quest, but back in 2021, Gil Jesus asked a question about the driver of the car in this Forum thread:

66https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/27293-a-question-regarding-the-rambler/#comment-445109

His question was, "The witnesses who saw the driver described him as being Latin or dark-skinned.could never figure out why a Latin guy would be driving Ruth Paine's station wagon."

In 2006, I wrote an essay about what I thought was a Possible Rambler lead that goes back to the house on Harlendale. I answred Gil this way,

"is my belief that the Rambler was owned by Raul Castro, an officer of of Dallas SNFE Chapter of Alpha 66 and who met at the house on Halandale into which Oswald was seen entering and exiting. The driver was Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro.

I explored this on my web page with an article entitled, "Possible Rambler Lead?"

https://myjfksite.weebly.com/

Steve Thomas

37 minutes ago, Michael Crane said:

This could have been the get-a-way Nash Rambler.

post-1680-1204167140_thumb.jpg

Thank you both, I think that I've looked at those threads before but I'll definitely re-read as its been such a long time. I'll also attempt to clean up this topic and add the important images back in. I was on a re-learning curve.  The text should at least makes sense and the colour, spec and year are accurate. The rambler and getaway for persons unknown is a very viable lead into something !

Edited by Jake Hammond

1 hour ago, Michael Crane said:

This could have been the get-a-way Nash Rambler.

post-1680-1204167140_thumb.jpg

That car doesn't match the 12.40 image which is very likely the rambler seen by the witnesses at 12.40 pulling up there, officer Craig particularly. Attached is a 61 Rambler station wagon classic . Note the unique light configuration, as per 12.40 image. The below image looks slightly different because of its larger wheels and tyres added later. The standard original spec wheels and tyre were smaller and noticeably inset, as we see in the 1240 image. 

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 09.35.26.png

Edited by Jake Hammond
text

On 11/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, Jake Hammond said:

Right, I've not mastered the blog hosting / google images technique yet but freed up some space to show the close up of the Rambler at 12.40. 

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 19.04.19.png

12.40 rambler blow up for comparison with above post. As you can see the lights are separated which was unique to the 61 classic and the colour is darker than the cream colour one in the above post. Therefore we can conclude that the ' light green or grey' description is describing a colour like ' echo green'.  https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_amc_1961

Edited by Jake Hammond