The Education Forum

JFK Revisited The Book of the Film

We just finished the book this week.

I  have not been one to pat myself on the back, but I  think it came out well.  

The point of comparison would be the BOOK OF THE FILM for the 1991 feature.  But I really think this is better.  You get two annotated scripts not one.  And its documentary notes. But in addition to all that referenced material, you get the  transcripts of the people we interviewed, much of which is not in the film.  I am not exaggerating at all when I say we could have gone 5-6 hours with little slack.  That is how good these people were. And that is the heart of the film, this star studded cast of luminaries. Which as I have said you have never seen the life of before, and you will not again.

Its coming out in kindle at a startlingly low discount price for pre sale, just 19.99 hardcover 29.99 for 500 pages.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I don't know about that Michael.

But you can get the long version streaming at a very reasonable price.

18 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

We just finished the book this week.

I  have not been one to pat myself on the back, but I  think it came out well.  

The point of comparison would be the BOOK OF THE FILM for the 1991 feature.  But I really think this is better.  You get two annotated scripts not one.  And its documentary notes. But in addition to all that referenced material, you get the  transcripts of the people we interviewed, much of which is not in the film.  I am not exaggerating at all when I say we could have gone 5-6 hours with little slack.  That is how good these people were. And that is the heart of the film, this star studded cast of luminaries. Which as I have said you have never seen the life of before, and you will not again.

Its coming out in kindle at a startlingly low discount price for pre sale, just 19.99 hardcover 29.99 for 500 pages.

I look forward to reading it for the transcripts, the additional comments beyond what's in the film.  That should be worth the price alone as it is a great price for just about any new book these days.

Edited by Ron Bulman

I might have made a mistake.  Its the Kindle that is 19.99.

The hard cover is 29.99.  Still that is reasonable for a 500 pager.

Welcome Michael.

I insisted it have an index. 

It will be a valuable reference work for a lot of different reasons.

There is an exchange we cut out with Henry Lee, that I really wish had been in the film.

And to have been on the set when he said this.

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Welcome Michael.

I insisted it have an index. 

It will be a valuable reference work for a lot of different reasons.

There is an exchange we cut out with Henry Lee, that I really wish had been in the film.

And to have been on the set when he said this.

The Henry Lee exchange is in the book? I just ordered it.

Almost as pungent.

PS: Lee told me that when Shapiro called him to testify he said, "Bob, who is O. J. Simpson?"

He was not kidding.

Edited by James DiEugenio

But I have to say, I really liked what Lee said that did make it into the film.

In fact, that is my favorite part of the short version.  Not the best, but my favorite.

He cuts to the heart of what the basic problem is with the Warren Report in about 25 seconds.

He says that chain of custody does not begin at the police station.  It begins at the crime scene. Everything has to be photographed and signed for at the scene.  Then again when checked in, and then again when analyzed.  If not, then you run the risk of having the evidence thrown out if the chain is broken.

How about, for just one instance the sack with no picture taken of it at the crime scene?   😄

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

But I have to say, I really liked what Lee said that did make it into the film.

In fact, that is my favorite part of the short version.  Not the best, but my favorite.

He cuts to the heart of what the basic problem is with the Warren Report in about 25 seconds.

He says that chain of custody does not begin at the police station.  It begins at the crime scene. Everything has to be photographed and signed for at the scene.  Then again when checked in, and then again when analyzed.  If not, then you run the risk of having the evidence thrown out if the chain is broken.

How about, for just one instance the sack with no picture taken of it at the crime scene?   😄

Yes, Lee has been extremely critical of the handling of evidence. But when you read his books, it's obvious he tries to have it both ways. He says the evidence may have been tainted, so we'll never know for sure, but he never focuses on the hard evidence--such as the lack of gsr on Oswald's cheek--that may suggest his innocence. 

I used to wonder about this, but then I realized that Lee is a close associate of Wecht and Baden. He probably doesn't want to take a side on this issue, for fear of alienating one of the other two "three investigators". 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my opportunity to watch the show On Demand with Comcast Cable.Question Jim...will the 4 hour version include the 2 hours or will it be 4 more hours of different information?

Edited by Michael Crane

Its kind of both.  

It includes some of the material from the 2 hour version.  But there is a lot more info on things like Kennedy's foreign policy e.g. in Indonesia.  And on the forensics side, it has Randy Robertson and the Fourth bullet, plus Mantik, Chesser and Aguilar on the fragment trail and how it proves a shot from the front.

Plus it has a different structure to it, it begins with Bobby Kennedy, not that montage.

I prefer the long version myself.