The Education Forum

A little fun topic : what are your JFK memorabilia ?

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Pete, that's quite an impressive list of authors whose books you have signed copies of.

Ron, Sure, my library shelves are full, I now have piles of books stacked on the floor.  I need another bookshelf.  I also have all the Warren volumes and books on RFK & MLK assassinations.  I haven't obtained all these signatures myself.  I have inherited a few from Ian Griggs & Mathew Smith's collections. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned cleaning out an organizing the box on a shelf by my desk here are the magazines found in it.

1.  A copy of the Life John F. Kennedy Memorial edition originally published in late 1963.  Given to me by my daughter.  Original cost: 50 cents.

2.  A original copy of the December 2., 1967 Saturday Evening post.  Cover story: 'Six Seconds In Dallas', Major New Study Shows Three Assassins Killed Kennedy.  Purchased off the internet for the cover article, called The Crossfire that Killed President Kennedy, by Josiah Thompson.  Original cost 35 cents.

3.  Skeptic Magazine, September/October 1975.  Cover story: Opposing views on the question that keeps coming back:  Who Killed JFK?  Articles by Bernard Fensterwald, Sylvia Meagher, David Belin.  Give to me by a friend whose brother was throwing it out.

4.  D magazine, November 1983.  Cover story: Assassination In Dallas.

5.  Time magazine, November 1988.  Cover story: J.F.K's Assassination, "...new book argues Oswald ... out to get Connally."

6.  People Magazine, November 1988.  Cover story: November 22, 1963: Where We Were.  

7.  Life Anniversary Special, Winter 1988.  Same as # 1 above with a different outer cover first.

8.  Texas Monthly magazine, December 1991.  Cover story: Can Hollywood solve JFK's Murder?  About (of course) Oliver Stone's movie JFK.

9. National Enquirer, display until January 2014.  Cover: The Kennedy Assassination, From the Secret files of The Enquirer Over 200 Never-Before-Seen Photos!

10.  JFK The Case For Conspiracy, Memorial Edition by Robert Groden.  46 pages.  Purchased from him on the Grassy Knoll in Dealy Plaza in early November 2013.

• 1 month later...

Oops, forgotten my own... a bit of everything.. the pile under the Presidential Lincoln are prints I made from books, some essays and prints from websites like Pat Speer's.  And some of my old toys to give it the period-touch.  Looking at the picture I notice I have forgotten to put one of my Minox up there... 

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

I have a few pieces myself.

Some standard ones as well as some quirky ones. 

A few picture books of JFK and Jackie.

A few political buttons including two from RFK's 1968 primary run campaign.

A standard "Thank You For Your Support" RFK 1968 primary campaign letter ( unsigned.)

Supposedly collected from the victory speech ballroom of the Ambassador Hotel the night of June 5th, 1968!

A "First Day Issue" JFK commemorative envelope. A JFK postage stamp.

A JFK impersonator Vaughn Meador "First Family" comedy record album.

Some scrap book picture items of some of my favorite fringe JFK/Oswald/Jack Ruby related characters.

Jack Ruby sitting with two of his girls Little Lynn and Tammie True?

Individual pictures of Jada, Little Lynn, Beverly Oliver, Sylvia Odio, Evelyn Lincoln.

Copy of the "JFK Wanted For Treason" ( ad or flyer? ) from Dallas on either 11,21,1963 or 11,22,1963?

A copy of the Air Force 1 LBJ swearing in ceremony photo depicting Congressman Albert Thomas giving LBJ a " you did it baby!" smiling celebratory wink.

And the other iconic picture depicting the gut wrenching traumatized look of horror and shock expression on blood spattered dress wearing Jackie Kennedy's face while she is placed next to LBJ during this swearing in.

A picture of Jack Ruby blowing a hole into Lee Oswald's guts.

I guess that's all.

Edited by Joe Bauer

I have only one rather hard to find item (here in EU), that's an original 1961 gold-plated inauguration medal (got it from an old Belgian politician).

The others are cheap key-chains (brass/nickel/silv.pl.).  

24 minutes ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

I have only one rather hard to find item (here in EU), that's an original 1961 gold-plated inauguration medal (got it from an old Belgian politician).

The others are cheap key-chains (brass/nickel/silv.pl.).  

That Ford Lincoln JFK motorcade limo model still in it's clear plastic retail box is something Jean Paul. 

Even at the old age of 71 I think that is...."cool!"

Thanks, that's indeed a very nice looking model, nice details and untouched. 

If things work out I hope to receive - sometime next week - a Cadillac "Queen Elisabeth II" model.

A relative of mine has been a long time collector/dealer of model-cars, he has been pulling some connections to see what's out there.  The Cadillac QE II will be a nice addition to my little collection.

But I'll have to figure out what the difference is between the Queen Mary II versus the Queen Elisabeth II ??

I only know they are the replacements of the earlier QM I en QE I (I don't know if those were identical or not)

But next to the QE II I'll be getting a French Simca Presidential car (like the one Kennedy was in with de Gaule

It was SMALL ! Please look at this film from Kennedy's visit to Paris, it's almost hilarious those 2 big guys in such a small presidential car...  

https://www.ina.fr/ina-eclaire-actu/video/afe85009104/visite-du-president-john-fitzgerald-kennedy-a-paris

I'll attach a screen shot in case the video doesn't work... AND plenty of motorcycles present..

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

I have roughly 150 books and magazines on the JFK assassination, and another 200 or so on related matters. I also have thousands upon thousands of pages of photocopies from articles and printouts from websites.

As far as fun stuff... A friend gave me a non-functioning b and h camera--which was the same model as Abe Z's. Among my many books, moreover, there is one I think quite special. It is a copy of Specter's Passion for Truth, inscribed by Specter to the parents of his co-writer, Charles Robbins. I found it in a used bookstore in New York. I bought it for 2 bucks. I'd already had the book, but I couldn't help myself.

P.S. At one point, I contacted the library where Specter's papers are stored and asked for their help in acquiring copies of his correspondence with Earl Warren. I offered them the autographed copy of his book. But received no response. 

Edited by Pat Speer

20 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

I have roughly 150 books and magazines on the JFK assassination, and another 200 or so on related matters. I also have thousands upon thousands of pages of photocopies from articles and printouts from websites.

As far as fun stuff... A friend gave me a non-functioning b and h camera--which was the same model as Abe Z's. Among my many books, moreover, there is one I think quite special. It is a copy of Specter's Passion for Truth, inscribed by Specter to the parents of his co-writer, Charles Robbins. I found it in a used bookstore in New York. I bought it for 2 bucks. I'd already had the book, but I couldn't help myself.

P.S. At one point, I contacted the library where Specter's papers are stored and asked for their help in acquiring copies of his correspondence with Earl Warren. I offered them the autographed copy of his book. But received no response. 

Wow ! That's a complete library you have there ! 👀

I'm always looking for especially the older books (1960's up to 1980's).

Now, that's because when I'm reading the newer books I often find myself missing big chunks of the story.

Unfortunatley, some of that information will not be in those old books, I'm thinking about all the "interactions" between authors, conventions, the different magazines, etc.  The stories "behind" the case, something like that.

I am looking forward to "Praise from a Future Generation: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy and the First Generation Critics of the Warren Report", that's when I can get it someday... All-in (taxes, duties, ...) it will cost me over 200 USD.   It' probably a very good book, but 200 usd it a little bit over the top for me.   By now I 'm thinking of making a weekend-trip to the US and fill a suitcase full of "used" books 😃    

People here that have read "Praise from a Future Generation" and would like to share their ideas ??

I had a "Hello, My Name Is" nametag both JFK

and Jacqueline Kennedy signed for me at the

climactic rally in the Wisconsin presidential primary

on April 3, 1960. She rarely signed a document

with him. One went many years ago for $100,000.

But mine burned up when my bedroom caught

fire in 1962. That was the only autograph Jackie Kennedy

signed at the rally in 1960 (that rally is

the centerpiece of the classic documentary PRIMARY). I badgered her for about

five minutes as she kept refusing, until one of her

husband's aides said, "For Chrissake, Jackie, give

the kid your autograph." I do have photos I took of JFK

at the big rally. I was a volunteer on his campaign.

Oh, and my mother made me wash

my wrist a week after the big rally, despite my protests,

even though Senator Kennedy had signed my wrist.

My most prized possession is a letter from him

on May 9, 1960, thanking me "for the diligent work

you did in my behalf during the campaign." He signed

it "Jack Kennedy."

Edited by Joseph McBride

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

I had a "Hello, My Name Is" nametag both JFK

and Jacqueline Kennedy signed for me at the

climactic rally in the Wisconsin presidential primary

on April 3, 1960. She rarely signed a document

with him. One went many years ago for $100,000.

But mine burned up when my bedroom caught

fire in 1962.

My God! What a loss!

Some Kennedy memorabilia I missed: On May 12, 1962,

I was part of his "honor guard" at the Milwaukee Auditorium

and Arena for the annual Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner.

After the room cleared, I went up behind the dais to look

at the podium, which still had the presidential seal on it.

I saw that the president had left some notes on his

speech on the podium; I remember he was doodling

sailboats on it.

While I stood there for about five

minutes debating about whether or not to take

the notes (I was a well-behaved Catholic

kid at the time), a Secret Service agent came up to remove

the presidential seal. I asked him if I could have

the notes. He took them and said, "No, because

the president might have been writing something about Berlin."

I was disappointed but moments later heard some commotion

from behind the curtain. I pulled it open, and there was

President Kennedy five feet from my face, passing as he walked

toward a down ramp. I impulsively said, "Hi, Jack!," and

he smiled and nodded. Then he turned and walked

down the ramp into the limousine in which he

would be killed the following year. That was the

last of three times I met him.

4 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Some Kennedy memorabilia I missed: On May 12, 1962,

I was part of his "honor guard" at the Milwaukee Auditorium

and Arena for the annual Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner.

After the room cleared, I went up behind the dais to look

at the podium, which still had the presidential seal on it.

I saw that the president had left some notes on his

speech on the podium; I remember he was doodling

sailboats on it.

While I stood there for about five

minutes debating about whether or not to take

the notes (I was a well-behaved Catholic

kid at the time), a Secret Service agent came up to remove

the presidential seal. I asked him if I could have

the notes. He took them and said, "No, because

the president might have been writing something about Berlin."

I was disappointed but moments later heard some commotion

from behind the curtain. I pulled it open, and there was

President Kennedy five feet from my face, passing as he walked

toward a down ramp. I impulsively said, "Hi, Jack!," and

he smiled and nodded. Then he turned and walked

down the ramp into the limousine in which he

would be killed the following year. That was the

last of three times I met him.

Thanks for sharing those great memories !