The Education Forum

Playboy

My father is cleaning out his house and prepping to sell.  They've been there 40+ years.  I've been hearing from him about things I might want.  He had subscriptions to many magazines.  Karate...Vietnam... National Geographic...many others.  Then he mentioned Playboy.  Guess what!!! I have a pristine copy of the Garrison issue coming to me!!

1 hour ago, William Paris said:

My father is cleaning out his house and prepping to sell.  They've been there 40+ years.  I've been hearing from him about things I might want.  He had subscriptions to many magazines.  Karate...Vietnam... National Geographic...many others.  Then he mentioned Playboy.  Guess what!!! I have a pristine copy of the Garrison issue coming to me!!

WOW!!! 

That is a famous issue because of Garrison isn't it?

Maybe you can share some of Garrison's words from that interview?

Uh...just curious...who was the centerfold in that issue? 

Was it ...Phyllis Diller...Nancy Kulp...or Kim Farber?

The winning guess gets to ask me any question they would like.

Jim Garrison: Interview with Playboy:
Introduction

On February 17, 1967, the New Orleans States–Item broke a story that would electrify the world — and hurl district attorney Jim Garrison into a bitter fight for his political life. An enterprising reporter, checking vouchers filed with the city by the district attorney’s office, discovered that Garrison had spent over $8000 investigating the assassination of President Kennedy.

“Has the district attorney discovered valuable additional evidence,” the States–Item asked editorially, “or is he merely saving some interesting new information that will gain for him exposure in a national magazine?” Stung, Garrison counter–attacked, confirming that an inquiry into Kennedy’s assassination was under way and charging that the States–Item’s “irresponsible” revelation “has now created a problem for us in finding witnesses and getting cooperation from other witnesses and in at least one case has endangered the life of a witness.”

New Orleans and the JFK Assassination

On February 18, newsmen from all over the world converged on New Orleans to hear Garrison announce at a press conference: “We have been investigating the role of the city of New Orleans in the assassination of President Kennedy, and we have made some progress — I think substantial progress.… What’s more, there will be arrests.”

As reporters flashed news of Garrison’s statement across the world, a 49–year–old New Orleans pilot, David Ferrie, told newsmen that the district attorney had him “pegged as the getaway pilot in an elaborate plot to kill Kennedy.” Ferrie, a bizarre figure who wore a flaming–red wig, false eyebrows and make–up to conceal burns he had suffered years before, denied any involvement in a conspiracy to kill the President. Garrison, he said, was out to frame him.

Four days later, Ferrie was found dead in his shabby three–room apartment in New Orleans, ostensibly of natural causes — though he left behind two suicide notes.

The press had greeted Garrison’s initial claims about a conspiracy with a measure of skepticism, but Ferrie’s death was front–page news around the world. Garrison broke his self–imposed silence to charge that Ferrie was “a man who, in my judgment, was one of history’s most important individuals.” According to Garrison, “Mr. Ferrie was one of those individuals I had in mind when I said there would be arrests shortly. We had reached a decision to arrest him early next week. Apparently we waited too long.”

You might want to get the Mark lane interview also.

8 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

William, Joe - Kim Farber and Mark Lane in the February 1967 issue:

https://archive.org/details/youtube-rjEfn_qFCJE

The Nancy Kulp issue is, unfortunately for comedy, MIA.

Then, what year and month is the Garrison Playboy issue?

Looks like it was the October 1967 issue.

I stand corrected from my earlier post citing the February Issue.

I believe the February, 1967 issue is the "Mark Lane" issue.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 12/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, Joe Bauer said:

I stand corrected from my earlier post citing the February Issue.

I believe the February, 1967 issue is the "Mark Lane" issue.

Joe, I didn't notice, and wasn't correcting.  I was just unexpectedly seized by Kim Farber fever this morning, a disorder that hasn't reappeared since my pre-adolescence.  No cures, please.

Edited by David Andrews

For a time, Playboy marketed a CD-ROM package featuring .PDF facsimiles of its 1960's issues. I reckon they intended to issue similar sets for issues earlier and later, but never did, that I know of. I got the sixties collection at a close-out, bargain price. The Garrison interview I also once found posted on the Internet. I had forgotten about the Mark Lane interview. I wonder, are there any more JFKA-related interviews or articles included in that sixties set? I should boot that CD-ROM. Anything for research!