The Education Forum

Merry Christmas

Ron Bulman

10 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Is that you on the guitar, William?

Yes, Sandy.

I was playing around with my classical guitar the year I recorded these polyphonic versions of some old Gregorian hymns, and I decided to use the guitar as an accompaniment for the chants.

Of course, traditional Gregorian chants are monophonic, but composers since the time of Palestrina have composed polyphonic variations on the traditional chants.

The American composer, Gerald Near, sang in our Gregorian schola here in Denver for a year or two in the early 90s.  Some of his compositions have been performed at Cambridge.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merry Christmas to all...

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Post Christmas quiz.  What is the name of the club in White Christmas where Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) goes to meet Ed Harrison, and watches George Clooney's aunt Rosemary sing You Done Me Wrong?

No bites?  Not even a W A G?

46 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

No bites?  Not even a W A G?

I watched it on Christmas Eve. Haven't seen it for a few years. Used to be like a religious ceremony when my dad was alive..

I say "watched it" In the sense that it was on while dogs and kids were getting under my feet, and I'm not going to cheat and Google it.

I *think*... is it the Pine Lodge? Or something like that?

Sorry Ron, misread the question. I thought you mean the Hotel.

No idea on the name of the club/bar.

Edited by Tommy Tomlinson
Misread the question.

10 hours ago, Tommy Tomlinson said:

I watched it on Christmas Eve. Haven't seen it for a few years. Used to be like a religious ceremony when my dad was alive..

I say "watched it" In the sense that it was on while dogs and kids were getting under my feet, and I'm not going to cheat and Google it.

I *think*... is it the Pine Lodge? Or something like that?

Sorry Ron, misread the question. I thought you mean the Hotel.

No idea on the name of the club/bar.

My favorite Christmas movie. 

On 12/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Yes, Sandy.

I was playing around with my classical guitar the year I recorded these polyphonic versions of some old Gregorian hymns, and I decided to use the guitar as an accompaniment for the chants.

Of course, traditional Gregorian chants are monophonic, but composers since the time of Palestrina have composed polyphonic variations on the traditional chants.

The American composer, Gerald Near, sang in our Gregorian schola here in Denver for a year or two in the early 90s.  Some of his compositions have been performed at Cambridge.

Well you are very talented. You play beautifully.

BTW I've always liked polyphonic chants. I like it when one is a part of a song, movie, or play. They are very effective at setting a mood.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:08 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Good voices, Tommy, but their Latin pronunciation needs work.

I used to sing Latin Gregorian chants in a schola here in Denver, and I posted some of my own Latin Christmas recordings at Soundclick.com earlier this month.  I arranged and recorded these for guitar and two-part vocal harmony.

These are two of the oldest Christmas "carols" in Western Christendom.

Creator Alme Siderum by Guillermo Ambrose | SoundClick

Corde Natus by Guillermo Ambrose | SoundClick

Liked the first track a lot. For some reason, even after not watching the film in two decades or more, the guitar playing made me think of the sad theme from the 1979 Michael Chimino film “The Deerhunter”. 

Great work. 

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks.

Chris, your John Williams clip reminded me of one of my favorite old CDs...

John Williams and Itzhak Perlman performing duets for violin and guitar composed by the great Italian violinist, guitarist, and composer, Niccolo Paganini.

Niccòlò Paganini, Mauro Giuliani, Itzhak Perlman, John Williams - Duos for Violin & Guitar - Amazon.com Music

On 12/28/2022 at 11:00 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks.

Chris, your John Williams clip reminded me of one of my favorite old CDs...

John Williams and Itzhak Perlman performing duets for violin and guitar composed by the great Italian violinist, guitarist, and composer, Niccolo Paganini.

Niccòlò Paganini, Mauro Giuliani, Itzhak Perlman, John Williams - Duos for Violin & Guitar - Amazon.com Music

Excellent, too. The Youtube algorithm kindly thew up this:

Exceptional with headphones in. So very sad.