The Education Forum

Witness Helen Markham

For those who want to hear Joseph Ball's description of Helen Markham as an "utter screwball" you can skip to the 1 hour and 43 minute mark of the recording to hear Ball say this.

Edited by Joe Bauer

I too often actually listen to posted links like the Ball/Lane debate above in their entirety.

Sacrificing time I should be using to get some needed fresh air and exercise.

Like this Occidental College debate however, most of the linked pieces are still just too damn compelling for me to walk away from.

Ball does a good job in this debate. Lane has to fight more aggressively to get his points in than usual.

Ball's "Spencer Tracy" wise man movie role tone and speaking manner helps him in his audience approval responses.

Lane is fiery though and matches up decently well in his strong logic tennis match return strokes and even aces Ball several times.

I want to comment more on this debate later today.

It's basic debate argument is a foundational one that is so important in over-all assessment of JFK event truth. 

I would like to interject some larger story dynamics which I believe prove that there was a conspiracy versus the WC finding of just one lone assassin who got incredibly lucky in defeating an army of security and initiating the ultimate worst possible defeat against them they could imagine.

And minutes after doing so, the president's shooter simply saunters a few blocks away to catch a city bus, then catches a cab back to his dinky boarding room miles away?

In this debate, Ball himself just trashes the Dallas Police and even Henry Wade regarding their actions the weekend of the assassination. Important stuff there.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 1/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, Charles Blackmon said:

Markham is the epitome of an unreliable witness, with all the changes in her identification of the Tipitt shooter. Her adult son being in trouble with the law may also have compromised her.

Please explain how the obvious confusion between her and Ball during her testimony given many months later negates that, on 11/22/63, Markham picked out Oswald as the cop-killer.

7 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Please explain how the obvious confusion between her and Ball during her testimony given many months later negates that, on 11/22/63, Markham picked out Oswald as the cop-killer.

You mean she picked out the guy who was "short, on the heavy side and with bushy hair " as she had described the killer to police?

Oh yea she picked the guy who had a look of guilt in his eyes.

Strange you would be so desperate to prop up possibly the worst witness in the entire case.

8 hours ago, Charles Blackmon said:

You mean she picked out the guy who was "short, on the heavy side and with bushy hair " as she had described the killer to police?

Oh yea she picked the guy who had a look of guilt in his eyes.

Strange you would be so desperate to prop up possibly the worst witness in the entire case.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that Markham picked out Oswald at the lineup in November of '63.  That positive identification has nothing to do with whatever it is you think she told Lane and/or she testified to many months later.

12 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that Markham picked out Oswald at the lineup in November of '63.  That positive identification has nothing to do with whatever it is you think she told Lane and/or she testified to many months later.

My bad the description of the killer's appearance was to journalist Mark Lane. The taped transcript of her interview with him is on the record. She lied about talking to Lane once the word got out. Wonder what else she lied about?   

Its hard to fathom why she would pick Oswald out at the lineup when she later said she did not recognize any of the men in the lineup (per her WC testimony).

She is just a bad witness all around. The WC counsel said as such.

• 10 months later...

Are any photos of James Markham available?

Also, I've read that he was facing some "serious criminal charges" around the time of the assassination but cannot find information regarding these - is there any information available?

3 hours ago, Ian Lloyd said:

Are any photos of James Markham available?

Also, I've read that he was facing some "serious criminal charges" around the time of the assassination but cannot find information regarding these - is there any information available?

Here is one.

https://postimg.cc/t1JPtr79

The audience in this Occidental College debate favored Lane. One would assume the audience was made up of mostly college age young people?

This was a real "Rock Em - Sock Em" debate.

A 12 round slugfest.

Helen Markham lied so much when questioned she had to be the worst witness of them all.

The woman seemed highly traumatized to me. Lot of exaggerated fears. No hesitation in changing her story regardless of the consequences.

My guess is that she had a very abusive childhood and/or was abused in some other way, such as an assault or abusive husband?

Edited by Joe Bauer