The Education Forum

The Witnesses: Acquilla Clemons

Gil Jesus

Acquilla Clemons lived on the north side of Tenth Street in Dallas. On 22nd November, 1963, Clemons was sitting on the porch of her house when she saw Officer J. D. Tippit killed. She was never interviewed by the FBI and never called to give testimony to the Warren Commission. This is her 1966 interview with Mark Lane.

Edited by Gil Jesus

• Gil Jesus changed the title to The Witnesses: Acquilla Clemons
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just never felt her eyewitness sharing story was very reliable.

She saw a man at the scene besides the fallen Tippit. 

Her physical description of this man was just too vague and unsure imo.

"kinda chunky...???"

She did say she saw this man wave his gun holding hand and arm as a type of warning signal to another witness to "go on."

That part of her sharing seems more believable to me.

Edited by Joe Bauer

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

I just never felt her eyewitness sharing story was very reliable.

She saw a man at the scene besides the fallen Tippit. 

Her physical description of this man was just too vague and unsure imo.

"kinda chunky...???"

She did say she saw this man wave his gun holding hand and arm as a type of a warning signal to another witness to "go on."

That part of her sharing seems more believable to me.

The main point is she would not mistake whomever she saw for Oswald.

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

Some points on Aquila from Dale Myers book "With Malice":

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Interesting that so many nearby residents came to their doors within seconds of the shooting and saw what they did. 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:57 AM, Gil Jesus said:

Acquilla Clemons lived on the north side of Tenth Street in Dallas. On 22nd November, 1963, Clemons was sitting on the porch of her house when she saw Officer J. D. Tippit killed. She was never interviewed by the FBI and never called to give testimony to the Warren Commission. This is her 1966 interview with Mark Lane.

"...lived on the north side of Tenth Street..."

"...sitting on the porch of her house..."

FYI... Acquilla Clemons worked at that house, she did not live there.  This is very basic information and is something you should know, especially if you feel qualified to make a post like yours above.  Clemons was a caregiver for the man who owned the home, John Smotherman, who was ill and died about three years later.

I have talked about her on here as well and she just seemed to fade away - I believe she may have moved, but can no one find out when she passed away? Curious, what did she tell her kids. Where are they? Collateral research needs to be done, did she remarry - what did she tell that person, etc... Are any people from that neighborhood still alive?

There is an account somewhere where she specifically says the two people, one waved to the other to "Go on", did NOT know each other which suggested Oswald was telling some bystander to go away. In this account Acquilla stated: "Probably somebody he told to get out of his way or something”. That is the only line I have from the account.

Does anyone know that account? I had assumed it was in Dale Myers book but upon looking at that book I could not find it there. 

Edited by Gerry Down

9 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

There is an account somewhere where she specifically says the two people, one waved to the other to "Go on", did NOT know each other which suggested Oswald was telling some bystander to go away. In this account Acquilla stated: "Probably somebody he told to get out of his way or something”. That is the only line I have from the account.

Does anyone know that account? I had assumed it was in Dale Myers book but upon looking at that book I could not find it there. 

Shirley Martin interview with Acquilla Clemons.