The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

21 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Cliff and Bill- as you know, Steve Goodman was a gifted songwriter, and I think it's super-cool that his name lives on here in Chicago via the fact that a song he wrote for the Chicago Cubs is still played over the PA in Wrigley Field immediately after every Cubs win. He tragically passed in the summer of 1984 when the Cubs were in the hunt for their first pennant since 1945. He was a huge Cubs fan.

As a Cardinal fan - I always preferred his first Cubs song to the current one.  Back then the Cardinals had an awful song they played - kinda like a middle school fight song.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Kamala Harris Trump again confronts his worst nightmare

By Austin Sarat 07/33/24

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/22/in-kamala-harris-again-confronts-his-worst-nightmare/

“With Vice President Kamala Harris as the likely Democratic nominee, our politics will bring into sharp relief, indeed sharper relief than ever,  a choice between embracing America as a multicultural democracy or pursuing a White Christian nationalist future. Harris is the living embodiment of the best of the American experiment.  

And former President Trump can’t stand it.

Another strong, accomplished woman threatens to stand between him and his ability to satisfy his lust for power. First Hilary Clinton, then Fani Willis, now Kamala Harris. It drives him crazy.

By looking at the playbook Trump used against Clinton and  Willis we can get a preview of what is to come in our politics.

Clinton, Willis and Harris represent the kind of strong women who threaten Trump’s manhood and attachment to a bygone patriarchy.”

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

In Kamala Harris Trump again confronts his worst nightmare

By Austin Sarat 07/33/24

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/22/in-kamala-harris-again-confronts-his-worst-nightmare/

“With Vice President Kamala Harris as the likely Democratic nominee, our politics will bring into sharp relief, indeed sharper relief than ever,  a choice between embracing America as a multicultural democracy or pursuing a White Christian nationalist future. Harris is the living embodiment of the best of the American experiment.  

And former President Trump can’t stand it.

Another strong, accomplished woman threatens to stand between him and his ability to satisfy his lust for power. First Hilary Clinton, then Fani Willis, now Kamala Harris. It drives him crazy.

By looking at the playbook Trump used against Clinton and  Willis we can get a preview of what is to come in our politics.

Clinton, Willis and Harris represent the kind of strong women who threaten Trump’s manhood and attachment to a bygone patriarchy.”

Steve Thomas

Steve,

I've been thinking about this subject a lot lately.

This election is about MANY things...

-- patriarchy vs. women's rights

--white supremacy vs. racial equality

-- oligarchy vs. democracy

-- plutocracy vs. the public good

--capital vs. labor

--homophobia vs. LGBT rights

--climate change vs. mitigation

Edited by W. Niederhut

On 7/27/2024 at 12:33 PM, Matt Allison said:

Thanks so much for posting this, Doug; this was truly a fantastic read. I think Buttigieg is one of the most gifted, straightforward political communicators we've had in my lifetime.

That's right Matt. Watch Buttigieg  in this Fox interview. This guy could take on anyone now in  politics and 60 years ago could even absolutely  wipe JFK's ass in any debate!                    OMG!, did I say that!

The demands on candidates, the varieties of questions are unlike anything back in the 60's. The scope of Presidential debates back then were like electing  Andy of Mayberry to office compared to now. By today's standards the Kennedy Nixon debates were child's play between the 40 yard lines, it was very civil and they hardly disagreed about anything.

Excellent post W.!  We'll see how this develops but the Harris campaign does draw lines very clearly,and mostly to the Dems advantage. Imagine the nerve racking spectacle of still playing between the 40 yard lines with Biden, and I think inevitably losing and greatly hastening the end of his life on the planet!

I don't know  how the electoral politics would work. Is America ready  for the Black/Asian/ Woman/Gay ticket ? Would Buttigieg though being a Gay from Indiana make inroads into the battleground states?  

But for debate, I don't think there could be any better.

Not just against J.D. Vance. But the entire Fox network!

Just watch as Buttigieg stays on message.

https://youtu.be/t48d7JkkFyk

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

But for debate, I don't think there could be any better.

Yes, he is quite amazing. And very popular as well; he was on the Daily Show tonight and got a standing ovation that lasted for almost 2 minutes

12 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Cliff- Yes, I saw the Effigies and Naked Raygun back in the day. I got to work with NR lead singer Jeff Pezzati in 2004 when he sang backup on one of the Alkaline Trio records I did; a genuinely stellar human.

Never saw Big Black, but I would run into Steve a lot at his studio, Electrical Audio, as it's my favorite place to track drums.

I saw Big Black on their last tour, summer '87, at the I-Beam on Haight St.  Great band, great set.  My only disappointment was they didn't do "Sleep!"

Jeff Pezzati plays bass::

Steve Albini RIP

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

This election is about MANY things...

-- patriarchy vs. women's rights

--white supremacy vs. racial equality

-- oligarchy vs. democracy

-- plutocracy vs. the public good

--capital vs. labor

--homophobia vs. LGBT rights

--climate change vs. mitigation

If the Dems run on that list it will be great.  

IMO:  The Democratic Party (especially the Clintonians) hasn't been especially anti-oligarchy pro-labor.  

IMO, Putin is pulling a Russian version of CIA Operation Gladio here-- trying to frame "left wing radicals" for FSB black ops in France.

New sabotage claims at Paris Olympics and the alleged Russia plot unmasked by drunkenness (msn.com)

New sabotage claims at Paris Olympics and the alleged Russia plot unmasked by drunkenness

July 30, 2024

According to a joint investigation by France's Le Monde newspaper and Germany's Der Spiegel, a weekly magazine, one such Russian was a 40-year-old, Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef named Kirill Griaznov.

Griaznov lived legally in France for over a decade until he was arrested on July 19 with incriminating "diplomatic material," according to those outlets, citing French investigators as well as Griaznov's own emails.

Protecting Paris: Police snipers and AI cameras will watch over Olympic Games

Before he turned to high-end cooking, Griaznov was a bespectacled lawyer. French prosecutors, according to Le Monde and Der Spiegel, allege he also worked on behalf of the FSB, Russia’s domestic security service.

He was arrested and charged over allegations he aimed, at the direction of the Kremlin's intelligence services, to stage "large-scale" acts of "destabilization" at the Games' opening ceremony Friday. France's authorities have not said what those "destabilization" acts might be, specifically. Only that they may have had "serious consequences."

In recent months, according to the outlets, France has exposed other alleged Russian plots connected to the Olympics including one that involved laying coffins in front of the Eiffel Tower, draped in French flags that read "French soldiers of Ukraine," an apparent reference to French President Emmanuel Macron's suggestion that French troops could one day be sent to Ukraine to help it defend itself against Russia's unprovoked war there.

Griaznov denies any wrongdoing. If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has called the case "quite curious."

According to phone intercepts viewed by Le Monde and Der Spiegel, Griaznov, who was also a onetime reality-TV star in Russia, blew his cover when he got kicked off a flight from Istanbul to Paris. Stranded in Bulgaria, he drunkenly called his handlers in Russia and boasted he was going to give Paris an "opening ceremony like no other."

While on vacation in the Black Sea, Griaznov also got drunk in a beach-side restaurant and let it slip that he had a special assignment this summer in Paris, according to the investigation by Le Monde and Der Spiegel.

The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast. Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.

Follow Kim Hjelmgaard on social media @khjelmgaard

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: New sabotage claims at Paris Olympics and the alleged Russia plot unmasked by drunkenness

J.D. Vance Proves It: Trump Hires the Very Worst People

Trump’s new running mate will haunt him just like all of the fools and weasels from his first administration.”

By Robert Schlesinger July 29, 2024

https://newrepublic.com/article/184328/jd-vance-trump-hires-terrible-judgment

“That’s too many steps down the road in this crazy election year to usefully speculate on, but we can say one thing for certain: If Trump does dump Vance, he will make clear that his latest bad hire has one thing in common with all the others—it wasn’t Trump’s fault."

Steve Thomas