The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When things have gotten so bad that you can't even slant the polls in your favor anymore...

https://newrepublic.com/post/184489/new-poll-conservative-group-disaster-trump-kamala

New Poll From Conservative Group Spells Disaster for Trump

The results show Kamala Harris enjoying significant momentum in several key swing states.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Matt - I followed the 2016 campaign very closely.  Nate Silver at one point put out a 95% probability Hillary would win.  On Twitter - Nassim N. Taleb, the author of the Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness basically called him an idiot and pointed out how mathematically at that point in time the odds should have been around 50-50.  There followed a lot of interesting posts on Twitter.  

I, around that time, had pointed out to my family that Hillary would probably lose based on the articles I was reading on left-leaning sites, causing them to insult me by calling me a Trump supporter.

I remember Silver one time saying that it was amazing to him how much money you could make just by calculating simple averages.  538 is only interesting for looking at polling results not for projections.  I think Taleb is correct.

Happy Jerry Garcia Day, folks!   Should it be a national holiday?  😎

I'm heading up to Gunnison County for a week-- no television, internet, or phone service.

It's 100 F here in Denver and we've got forest fire smoke from four different fires along the Front Range.

Stay cool.

Stephen Bonell  who also goes by the name of "Destiny," which sounds very egotistical,but nonetheless is a stud in these debates below! Bonnell  was born of super right wing  Anti Castro parents who fled Cuba in the 60's .

This is a Piers Morgan podcast involving on one side Bonnell and Cenk Uygur against 2 Trumpists I don't know the name of.  Morgan is really a pro Trumpist masquerading as some twisted sort of "enlightened centrist. "

I'm aware of the meaning of the term "flake" to describe a person but not as aware of the current extrapolation into "snowflake" but I think the libertarian women here who seems to love Marilyn Monroe falls perfectly into what I envision the term snowflake should be, in that it's still flaky, but conveys a general harmlessness. The other Trumpist is a black body builder with lots of tattoos. There was an instance with both of them where I did agree with but in general they  were fodder for Bonnell and Uygur.

Then they bring in snotty Toni Lahren of blonde women Fox news in  a setting like out of a beauty pageant. My only regret is that there wasn't time to completely grill her!

One wasted segment about Pier's Catholic sensitivities,  Get over yourself Piers.

W. I don't know if Piers just recently moved to Denver but I've never seen majestic mountains like that in the U.K.!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

An interesting development:

Harris has cut her unfavorable poll numbers in more than half:

July 1:    54% Unfavorable   36% Favorable   Net: -17%

Aug 3:    49% Unfavorable   42% Favorable   Net: -6.5%

Meanwhile:

Biden's net has stayed relatively constant at -17% to -18% over the same period.

Trump's has decreased from -11% to -9%.  

Link to favorability polling at 538