The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

34 years ago tonight.  The last song Stevie Ray Vaughn ever played.  With this lineup.  I can't remember who the guy in the coveralls with the polka dot guitar is though I know I know!  It will come to me.  A real downer hearing about it on the way to work the next morning.  Brought tears to a coworkers eyes when he heard at work.  Along with denial, no, no, no, not Stevie Ray.

Edited by Ron Bulman

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

That's interesting W. I've been thinking of taking one of these to lose 35 lbs. I'm concerned about 2 things. 1)The loss of muscle mass. And 2) With the side effects I've heard, Would I have to take it for life?  This weight gain happened as result of selling my house in late 2019 and traveling. found myself in hotels eating out a lot. Then one day, I was able to weight myself and I was up 35 Lbs.  even though honestly I felt no different and I was physically just as active. So I feel I had a "set weight" that was constant for 15 years.  So if I could get back there, I wonder if I could stay at that weight and discontinue usage?   I immediately stopped eating out so much and if I travel in car I carry a rice cooker and buy vegetables and fish.  Hotels since covid are much more likely to now have to have refrig and microwave now, so Iv'e kept my diet constant to what it was before. Still the most I've lost is 5-10 lbs. 

So metformin is not a GLP-1?  I've been told by my physician that I could get wegovy for $250 a month. That strikes me as a somewhat high, considering I don't feel any different, but I should really start looking ahead.

Whatever info you can give me W. would be greatly appreciated!

Kirk,

Metformin is not a GLP-1 drug, like Ozempic.   It's a much older Diabetes Type II drug that was actually marketed back in 1957, and it's cheap.  Now it is in demand as a drug that increases longevity.

Metformin reduces glucose storage in the liver, (as glycogen) and potentiates insulin activity.

The downsides are;

1) Users have no glycogen storage for intermediate use.  So, if I exercise two or more hours after my last dose, I can tank my blood glucose.  I work around this by exercising after carbo intake.  (I also keep some candy in my golf bag or hiking backpack.)

2)  It is very hard on the gut.  I'm willing to live with the iatrogenic "irritable bowel" syndrome, because the drug works so well, but my wife keeps urging me to switch to one of the new wonder drugs.

These new miracle (GLP-1) drugs act on the Glucagon hormone receptors.

Kirk, the muscle mass/weight-lifting stuff is very important.  My blood sugar levels went up significantly after I broke my collar bone (roller blading in 2020) and couldn't work out for three months.

Muscle tissue burns a lot of glucose, and helps keep your blood sugar (and weight) down.

Steve, I never ran out of Metformin during the shortages.  Knock on wood.

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

34 years ago tonight.  The last song Stevie Ray Vaughn ever played.  With this lineup.  I can't remember who the guy in the coveralls with the polka dot guitar is though I know I know!  It will come to me.  A real downer hearing about it on the way to work the next morning.  Brought tears to a coworkers eyes when he heard at work.  Along with denial, no, no, no, not Stevie Ray.

Ron,

I think that's a young-looking, long-haired Buddy Guy, playing his polka dot Fender Strat.

Edited by Ron Bulman

22 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

I think that's a young-looking, long-haired Buddy Guy, playing his polka dot Fender Strat.

Yeah, if I'd pay attention, it lists him at the top of the video before it starts.  I did correct the 24 years to 34, half my life ago come the end of October.

8 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I use sugar sparingly.  I try to avoid ice cream, sugary drinks, and the "whites"-- potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc.  Using that approach, and Metformin, I've been able to stay on the type II borderline, with HbA1Cs at 5.9 to 6.0 for the past decade.

So much label reading has to be done now with food, re: sugar; the stuff is insidious. They sneak it into so many things it doesn't need to be in.

I have followed 2 approaches that actually worked as far as diet is concerned.

4 day rotation - no corn

I was diagnosed with food allergies, especially corn in the clinic in KC after 3 days of testing back in the 80s.

According to the doctor at the clinic, foods that your immune system identifies as something it should fight cause cravings for that food.  In my case corn.  This explained why I would eat Fritos corn chips even though I don't like the taste.

I was put on a 4 day rotation diet for 6 weeks to identify any other possible foods I was allergic to while not eating those foods containing corn + potatoes + coffee.  Eliminating corn basically eliminates everything usually in the middle of supermarkets.  You have to read all the labels.  You just buy in the dairy, meat, fish, veggie & fruit sections.  Sugar has cornstarch in it to prevent clumping so baked goods are out too.

The rotation part meant you could only eat any 1 item every 4 days.  This was to be able to identify other foods that I might be allergic to.  It turned out I had a real bad reaction to shrimp - so that was eliminated too.  Each fish species was considered different so I could have say cod and salmon on the same day.

This led to some interesting food choices - for example, microwaved sweet potatoes or trout for breakfast on some days.

After 6 weeks I could eat anything without any reaction as my immune system no longer recognised corn, for example, as something it should attack.  

I lost enough weight that colleagues at work asked me what sort of workout I was following even though I had no workout program at all at the time.

keto + intermittent fasting

I tried this last year and lost 25lbs.  Like Kirk, I had put on weight while travelling for work & was eating too much rice & bread.  I found this easier to follow than the 4-day-rotation-no-corn diet.   After the 3rd day it seems the urge to eat is significantly diminished, just as it was on the 4-day diet. I followed this for about 6 weeks again and did do one 3-day water fast.  My doctor was impressed with the weight loss but doesn't like keto.

On this one I sub cauliflower-rice for rice with curries, etc.

I've had no success with other diets for weight loss.

Edited by Bill Fite

28 minutes ago, Paul Bacon said:

It's six am. here, and you've just given me a craving for Fritos corn chips.  Thanks a lot...

🤣 Excellent, Paul .... my work in this topic is done!

Seriously,  when the doctor told me I was allergic to corn, I told him that can't be -- because if I eat 1 corn chip then I'll eat the whole bag.  He explained how my immune system mis-recognized corn as an invader and was reacting by producing antibodies to fight it.  And that counterintuitively in this process a craving for corn (Fritos) was also produced.   When I would eat food with corn I could feel my energy slipping away and actually felt very tired and sometimes had headaches.

Edited by Bill Fite

15 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

I have followed 2 approaches that actually worked as far as diet is concerned.

4 day rotation - no corn

I was diagnosed with food allergies, especially corn in the clinic in KC after 3 days of testing back in the 80s.

According to the doctor at the clinic, foods that your immune system identifies as something it should fight cause cravings for that food.  In my case corn.  This explained why I would eat Fritos corn chips even though I don't like the taste.

I was put on a 4 day rotation diet for 6 weeks to identify any other possible foods I was allergic to while not eating those foods containing corn + potatoes + coffee.  Eliminating corn basically eliminates everything usually in the middle of supermarkets.  You have to read all the labels.  You just buy in the dairy, meat, fish, veggie & fruit sections.  Sugar has cornstarch in it to prevent clumping so baked goods are out too.

The rotation part meant you could only eat any 1 item every 4 days.  This was to be able to identify other foods that I might be allergic to.  It turned out I had a real bad reaction to shrimp - so that was eliminated too.  Each fish species was considered different so I could have say cod and salmon on the same day.

This led to some interesting food choices - for example, microwaved sweet potatoes or trout for breakfast on some days.

After 6 weeks I could eat anything without any reaction as my immune system no longer recognised corn, for example, as something it should attack.  

I lost enough weight that colleagues at work asked me what sort of workout I was following even though I had no workout program at all at the time.

keto + intermittent fasting

I tried this last year and lost 25lbs.  Like Kirk, I had put on weight while travelling for work & was eating too much rice & bread.  I found this easier to follow than the 4-day-rotation-no-corn diet.   After the 3rd day it seems the urge to eat is significantly diminished, just as it was on the 4-day diet. I followed this for about 6 weeks again and did do one 3-day water fast.  My doctor was impressed with the weight loss but doesn't like keto.

On this one I sub cauliflower-rice for rice with curries, etc.

I've had no success with other diets for weight loss.

Very interesting stuff, Bill.  Thanks for posting this.

I need to learn more about corn, and other food, allergies.

(Never studied the subject in medical school!)

We just learned this summer that my youngest daughter (28) has celiac disease-- gluten intolerance.

Blew my mind.  (My wife and I both, subsequently, tested negative for celiac disease.)

Astonishing that Indo-Europeans still have recessive genes for gluten intolerance 5,000+ years after the Neolithic era domestication of wheat, barley, and rye in Mesopotamia!

As for corn, if I recall correctly, (from Jared Diamond's terrific book, Guns, Germs, and Steel) corn (maize) is indigenous to the Americas, and was domesticated and developed most ingeniously, by the Olmecs, Mayans, and Aztecs.

I need to look up the Indo-European population prevalence of corn intolerance.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Trump Shares Crude Sexual Remark About Kamala Harris

August 28, 2024 at 5:39 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard

“Donald Trump used his social-media website on Wednesday to amplify a crude remark about Vice President Kamala Harris that suggested Ms. Harris traded sexual favors to help her political career,” the New York Times reports.

“The post, by another user on Truth Social, was an image of Ms. Harris and Hillary Clinton, Mr. Trump’s opponent in 2016. The text read: ‘Funny how blowjobs impacted both their careers differently.'”

“Mr. Trump’s repost was the second time in 10 days that the former president shared content from his personal account making sexually oriented attacks on Ms. Harris.”

7b0e6d23208763ee32bd3832d053a6a31336dc22