The Education Forum

Did David Josephs leave the forum?

54 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

I get you Steve... My concern arrises from the fact that all three appear to be carbon copies of each other based on the image at the far right which has none of those numbers.

David,

I think the one on the far right is the original, and then with each time they wanted to use it, somebody said, "No, we've got to jazz it up a little. Make it look more official."

Wasn't the charge for the assault on Connolly added a little afdter the initial charge for the murder of JFK?

The one on the extreme left reminds me a little of the documents I was looking at when I was poring over the Henry Wade documents related to the Jack ruby trial Those stray numbers floating around on the page could relate to Exhibit numbers Wade was going to present at trial.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Steve Thomas said:

David,

I think the one on the far right is the original, and then with each time they wanted to use it, somebody said, "No, we've got to jazz it up a little. Make it look more official."

Wasn't the charge for the assault on Connolly added a little after the initial charge for the murder of JFK?

Steve Thomas

I thought so re Connally...  It makes sense to me that on 11/22 all three would have looked the same - far right.

The case number is written on the other two while Fritz signs the bottom - which of course could have been anytime after the fact - which based on what we see on the middle copy - may very well have been the case in line with your "making it more official"

You're amazingly good at finding things.. any chance you can set your sights on what the "ID Number 54018" might reference and lead to, as that last entry on the copy on the left?

19 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

You're amazingly good at finding things.. any chance you can set your sights on what the "ID Number 54018" might reference and lead to, as that last entry on the copy on the left?

David,

No, but it;s larger than the number above it, and looks like it might be written in the same hand as the person who wrote

"Assault to Murder OFF# (offense #?) F85964" about 2/3 of the way down the page.

That's kind of what makes me think it's a District Attorney's reference number, rather than a Department of Police number

Steve Thomas

11 hours ago, David Josephs said:

You're amazingly good at finding things.

Steve, along this line.  As Fritz and Wade fit together like a hand and glove in the murder conviction rate.  And Wade worshiped LBJ I wonder if you might have ever come across this.

Wade and LBJ corresponded in the 1950's, him fawning over LBJ.  This is established by copies of the letters from the LBJ library in the back of Mark North's Betrayal In Dallas.  No, the mafia did not do it, but the letters from Wade to LBJ and vice versa are there (Wade visited LBJ at his ranch).

I've searched the internet for them to share with others unsuccessfully . . .  I think others would find them interesting.  I've not looked at the LBJ library yet myself.  But since Wade-Fritz came up and it made me think of Wade-LBJ I wonder if you as the Premier Librarian on the forum might have any suggestions in my search.

Not to distract from the flow of the thread, but a Fritz-Wade-LBJ connection is interesting to me at least.

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I wonder if you m might have any suggestions in my search.

Ron,

Outside of the LBJ Library (with is a good bet), you might also try here:

A Guide to the Henry Wade Papers, 1927-2009 - University of Texas
legacy.lib.utexas.edu 
"Henry Menasco Wade was born on Nov. 11, 1914, in Rockwall, Texas, and studied at the University of Texas. He worked as an F.B.I. agent before becoming an Assistant DA in 1947. Three years later Wade ran for district attorney of Dallas Wade held the position for 36 year, retiring in 1987."

(I tried going there online, but it kept telling me I had tried doing too many searches, so I don't know what's going on there).

Steve Thomas

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Not to distract from the flow of the thread, but a Fritz-Wade-LBJ connection is interesting to me at least.

In the Ruby threat I recently started for that work there is a passage related to GRIFFIN's attack of DEAN for which WADE steps in, calls his buddy LBJ, and Griffin is sent back to be scolded by WARREN.

And Ruby down the Ramp becomes the Urban Legend.  Just so seedy... ugh.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:16 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

Outside of the LBJ Library (with is a good bet), you might also try here:

A Guide to the Henry Wade Papers, 1927-2009 - University of Texas
legacy.lib.utexas.edu 
"Henry Menasco Wade was born on Nov. 11, 1914, in Rockwall, Texas, and studied at the University of Texas. He worked as an F.B.I. agent before becoming an Assistant DA in 1947. Three years later Wade ran for district attorney of Dallas Wade held the position for 36 year, retiring in 1987."

(I tried going there online, but it kept telling me I had tried doing too many searches, so I don't know what's going on there).

Steve Thomas

I believe I got the same result.  Not that I tried too many searches but it says:

This page isn’t working right now

www.lib.utexas.edu redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
Edited by Ron Bulman

1 minute ago, Ron Bulman said:

I believe I got the same result.  Not that I tried too many searches but it says:

This page isn’t working right now

www.lib.utexas.edu redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

It does the same thing when I click on the guide to the papers of Henry Smith.

It's really kind of funny where a simple internet search can take you sometimes.  Like Henry Wade letters to Lyndon Baines Johnson.  Nothing about their letters.  But the letters of Hunter S Thompson to LBJ did pop up.  Which I'd never seen before.  They are something special in their own right. 

Fire McNamara at once. 

“If wanting to avoid an Asian war makes me a subversive, then you have my address and you can put me in the file with Eisenhower and MacArthur.”

"your hysterical Vietnam policy"

"my sensibilities are grossly offended by the spectacle of a small group of men whose mania for blood and bombing will inevitably cause thousands of young men to be killed for no good reason."

More worth reading, enjoy.  I did.

Read Hunter S. Thompson’s correspondence with LBJ on their original letterhead • MuckRock  

This is frustrating.  Most of the letters from Wade to Johnson are on official DA letterhead, some of LBJ's are.  They range from 1950-1961.  Additional letters between LBJ and Hoover are as well, and, stamped: Copy LBJ Library.  Plus one from Wade to John Connally and one from Barefoot Sanders to LBJ.  

One more time, I am not convinced by Betrayal in Dallas that LBJ and the mafia assassinated JFK.  However, the book has some really interesting information on Jack Ruby, the mafia in Dallas, and RFK's investigation of them.  

In addition it has 88 pages of exhibits, 32 pages of source notes, a glossary of names and a bibliography.  The exhibits are sectioned A-F.  Section D is letters to-from Wade-Johnson, Johnson-Hoover, 25 in all plus one from Wade to John Connally and one from Barefoot Sanders to LBJ.  10 from Wade to LBJ, 5 from LBJ to Wade, 5 from him to Hoover, 4 in response.  

As many are on official government letterhead, stamped Copy LBJ Library, and published in a book are they not part of the public domain by now?  Why are they not easily accessible?

I guess my next step should be to contact the libraries.  If anyone wants to see for themselves for now a used hardcover is $5.72 including shipping, plus tax at amazon.

Amazon.com: Betrayal in Dallas: LBJ, the Pearl Street Mafia, and the Murder of President Kennedy: 9781626361225: North, Mark: Books

Again, frustrating.  Error message when Henry Wade entered in the UT library search.  Again, when Henry Wade letters entered LBJ library site.  i guess I shouldn't be surprised.  

North himself tells of filing a request for a search of US District Court files in 1996 about the indictment of Eli Stone on 10/23/1963.  Nothing.  Barefoot Sanders, Appointed US attorney for the north Texas district in 1961 by JFK, (at the behest of LBJ I believe) later a federal judge by Carter dies in 2008.  A 2010 request?  There's the indictment. ` All documented.

A little deep for here.  I've started to start a thread before but have reservations as it's a mob did it book.  

But the Ruby RFK connection may bear its own thread.  I need to re-read a bit.

Edited by Ron Bulman