The Education Forum

Tim Smith's HSCA book

This should be a good book.

I had TIm do a sample for us at Kennedys and King.

Man, was Ida Dox--pseudonym--a ringer or what?

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-mysteries-around-ida-dox

Edited by James DiEugenio

I hope Smith's book doesn't throw out the baby with the bath water and cut off our nose to spite our face. There's a reason that WC apologists universally attack the HSCA, and there's a reason that the HSCA's findings are usually ignored or summarily dismissed in history books. For all of its many faults, all things considered, the HSCA was a huge step forward in the JFK case. It was certainly a substantial improvement over the WC. 

I just hope Smith discusses all the good things that the HSCA did, in addition to the many omissions, distortions, and missed opportunities. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 12:45 PM, Michael Griffith said:

I hope Smith's book doesn't throw out the baby with the bath water and cut off our nose to spite our face. There's a reason that WC apologists universally attack the HSCA, and there's a reason that the HSCA's findings are usually ignored or summarily dismissed in history books. For all of its many faults, all things considered, the HSCA was a huge step forward in the JFK case. It was certainly a substantial improvement over the WC. 

I just hope Smith discusses all the good things that the HSCA did, in addition to the many omissions, distortions, and missed opportunities. 

CTers throw out the HSCA findings too. I've never heard a CTer back up the shooting sequence as laid out in the HSCA. Cant quiet remember the timing but it was something like this:

• 1st Shot (Oswald): Z190
  • 2nd Shot (Oswald): Z224
  • 3rd Shot (Grassy Knoll Gunman): Z300
  • 4th Shot (Oswald): Z313

Does anyone know the exact Zapruder frames the HSCA aligned to each shot? In any case, i've never heard anyone stand behind such a shooting sequence except Blakey himself. 

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

CTers throw out the HSCA findings too. I've never heard a CTer back up the shooting sequence as laid out in the HSCA. Cant quiet remember the timing but it was something like this:

• 1st Shot (Oswald): Z190
  • 2nd Shot (Oswald): Z224
  • 3rd Shot (Grassy Knoll Gunman): Z300
  • 4th Shot (Oswald): Z313

Does anyone know the exact Zapruder frames the HSCA aligned to each shot? In any case, i've never heard anyone stand behind such a shooting sequence except Blakey himself. 

That's a gross exaggeration and really rather ridiculous. Just because most CTers reject the HSCA's specific shooting sequence does not mean that "CTers throw out the HSCA findings too."

Virtually all CTers accept and cite the evidence that the HSCA developed on Ruby's Mafia ties, on how Ruby entered the DPD basement, on Oswald's association with David Ferrie, on the Clinton Louisiana witnesses who reported seeing Oswald with Ferrie and Clay Shaw, on Silvia Odio's credibility, on the WC's failure to pursue conspiracy-indicating leads, on the eyewitness evidence of a grassy knoll shot, on more than three shots having been fired, on the presence of two gunmen in the plaza, on the indications that Oswald was being impersonated in Mexico City, on a shot being fired at or before Z190, etc., etc.

CTers have also made extensive use of the released HSCA interviews with the autopsy personnel and with others who were present at the autopsy. Those interviews have revealed a mountain of crucial, historic information. If the HSCA had not done those interviews, the ARRB could not have released them in the 1990s because they would not have existed.

Edited by Michael Griffith

This book should be pretty interesting. I haven’t seen anyone mention this, but the book is not on the HSCA as a whole as far as I know, it’s only about the 50ish witnesses who testified in televised hearings, hence the title “Hidden in Plain Sight”. I’ve posted this before, but Smith’s Black Op Radio appearance on Umbrella Man was one of the most entertaining episodes of 2022, IMO:

https://www.blackopradio.com/archives2022.html (Episode 1083)

Yes, I think you are right Tom. 

Its not on the whole HSCA inquiry, but the witnesses to testify in public.

Kind of interesting approach.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:45 AM, Michael Griffith said:

Didn't the good guys step down or get fired?

I know that in Gaeton Fonzi's book,he didn't really have good things to say about them & also said that they were cheap.

Edited by Michael Crane