The Education Forum

L.A. Times Calls RFK Jr. A "Threat to Democracy"

This sure looks like an intel-state organized strike on the RFK Jr. campaign. Operation Mockingbird on steroids? 

LA Times

Column: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is a threat to your health — and our democracy

Michael Hiltzik
Tue, June 20, 2023 at 4:35 AM GMT+7·7 min read

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., leading anti-vaxxer

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a leading anti-vaxxer and son of the slain U.S. senator, is running for president. (Evan Vucci / Associated Press)

Back in the dawn of the Trump era — just prior to his 2017 inauguration — the line of would-be suck-ups queuing up for face time with the president-elect included a man with a distinguished name.

He was Robert F. Kennedy Jr., scion of one of the leading families of Democratic Party politics. What brought him together with Trump was their shared interest in the anti-vaccination movement.

At least Kennedy, who had been an anti-vaccine crusader for well more than a decade and was pushing a long-discredited claim that the MMR vaccine caused autism, thought so. He announced upon emerging from the meeting that Trump had asked him to chair a commission “on vaccine safety and scientific integrity.”

On this issue, Bobby is an outlier in the Kennedy family.

Trump promptly denied that, but acknowledged that he was “exploring the possibility” of such a commission and "look[ing] forward to continuing the discussion about all aspects of autism with many groups and individuals.”

Kennedy has never backed off from pushing the vaccine-autism link, which can be traced back to a British study that was eventually retracted because of charges that the data were fabricated. Its main author was stripped of his medical license in Britain amid accusations of research fraud.

Kennedy has now paddled back into the American political discourse by announcing his candidacy for president in April on the Democratic ticket. His family connection appears to have brought attention to his campaign; the question is whether the dazzlement of the Kennedy name will be sufficient to blind voters to his history of promoting spectacularly dangerous health policies through misrepresentations and outright lies.

Kennedy certainly can't claim to lack a platform to disseminate his misinformation and disinformation. On June 15 he received a tongue bath on Spotify from that outstanding ignoramus Joe Rogan, who allowed him to spout his anti-science spiel for three hours with virtually no pushback.

After vaccine expert Peter Hotez of the Baylor College of Medicine tweeted a link to a comprehensive takedown of the Spotify webcast by Vice.com, Rogan challenged Hotez to participate in a public debate with Kennedy. Hotez has quite properly refused, which led to his being accosted at his home by some misguided soul demanding that he take the bait.

The dangers from Kennedy's campaign should be clear. One is that a Kennedy candidacy that gains any real traction alone will increase the political credibility of anti-vax claptrap, which already has more than enough.

Another is that it could cut into the vote in 2024 for a responsible Democrat, whether President Biden or anyone else, which could sweep Trump or a Trump clone into office, along with the thuggish attacks on diversity, inclusion and voting rights that have become the alpha and omega of GOP politics.

It's proper, in other words, to take a close look at Kennedy's record on health policy and the real consequences of his anti-vaccination crusade.

Kennedy first made a splash as an anti-vax figure in 2005, when Salon.com and Rolling Stone jointly published an article under his byline headlined "Deadly Immunity." The article asserted a link between a purported increase in autism and the presence of thimerosal, a compound of mercury used as a preservative, in childhood vaccines.

The fact is that there has never been any scientifically valid evidence for this link, and in any case thimerosal ceased to be used in the U.S. in 2001. The rise in autism diagnoses before then or since has been attributed by experts to a broadening of clinical definitions for the condition and more awareness of its multiple manifestations.

Salon ended up appending no fewer than five corrections to Kennedy's article, and finally bowed to proliferating professional critiques of the piece by removing it from its website in 2011.

In trying to make his case, Kennedy misrepresented a conference about vaccines held by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the Simpsonwood conference center outside Atlanta in June 2000. He implied that it was a secret conference, though the entire transcript was published by the CDC later that month. He used selective quotations from participants to suggest that their purpose was to hide evidence about vaccines and autism, when in truth it was nothing of the kind.

Kennedy continued to spread anti-vaccine hysteria, emerging as a walking public health hazard. In June 2019 he visited Samoa, appearing in public with a prominent local anti-vaccination figure.

By that September, the island nation was in the grip of a measles outbreak that eventually took the lives of more than 80 people. Experts blamed the outbreak on a sharp drop in measles vaccination rates, which had fallen to about 34% in 2018 from 74% the year before.

While the epidemic was still in full cry that November, Kennedy wrote to the Samoan prime minister denying that the outbreak could be blamed on "the so-called 'anti-vaccine' movement," and pointed his finger instead at "a defective vaccine" that failed to target a "mutated" virus and allowed it to spread to children.

"It is a regrettable possibility that these children are [casualties] of Merck's vaccine," he wrote. The veteran pseudoscience debunker David Gorski described the letter as "a masterpiece of antivaccine dissembling, misinformation, distortion, and lies," seemingly aimed at providing cover for anti-vaccine quacks trying to deflect responsibility for "discouraging people from vaccinating their children."

Kennedy's spiel has become only more febrile and inflammatory over the years.... 

---30---

I understand RFK Jr.'s views on vaccines may be wrong (though certainly the whole C-19-vaccine-and-government- lockdown-policies-fiasco is very debatable). 

But how does that mean RFK Jr. is a "threat to democracy"? 

The LAT writer even links RFK Jr. to Trump and also to right-wing thugs. 

The stalking horse for the anti-RFK Jr. media parade of feculent invective is "vaccines." 

I suspect the real reason is the JFK Records Act and what RFK Jr. would do to the intel state. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

But how does that mean RFK Jr. is a "threat to democracy"? 

Don't know. An egregiously dumb and dishonest way for them to introduce the article.

Make no mistake tho, Ben, his vaccine beliefs will follow him throughout the campaign until he's willing to say that he will leave the decisions about such things to scientists that are well-versed in children's medical care.

He can and should feel fine about sticking to his own personal beliefs, but he's going to have to agree to leave science to the scientists if he wants to get anywhere.

42 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Don't know. An egregiously dumb and dishonest way for them to introduce the article.

Make no mistake tho, Ben, his vaccine beliefs will follow him throughout the campaign until he's willing to say that he will leave the decisions about such things to scientists that are well-versed in children's medical care.

He can and should feel fine about sticking to his own personal beliefs, but he's going to have to agree to leave science to the scientists if he wants to get anywhere.

Matt - probably good advice. I have to say though that this kind of coverage disturbs me more than his personal beliefs. The article is clearly wrong btw about thimerosal. It is still in use. I could have saved myself the trouble I went through a year ago on the cdc website digging that info out. Just look it up on wiki. That doesn’t make it a cause of autism, but too many lazy journalists are repeating this false information without due diligence, and apparently the editors at the LA Times care more about  publishing a hit piece than fact checking. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Matt Allison:

Thanks for your comments. 

I am also a bit taken aback by RFK Jr.'s view on vaccines. There is a reason why many people in my generation and later do not walk about with a limp or worse---the wonderful polio vaccines. I knew a guy in my age bracket who had a lifelong bad back due to polio contracted as a child.  

Smallpox can be disfiguring. And so on. 

It does appear RFK Jr. is moderating his vaccine views. 

But how much damage can RFK Jr. do to the country, due to his views on vaccines? I suspect vaccines will still be available and widely used after RFK Jr. becomes president. 

And how much good could come from a re-assessment of the intel-military state, and globalist US policies? 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Again, what does this have to do with the JFK murder?

I mean declassification of documents with RFK Jr, the Peace Speech scheduled for tomorrow, yes.

But why this?  

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Again, what does this have to do with the JFK murder?

I mean declassification of documents with RFK Jr, the Peace Speech scheduled for tomorrow, yes.

But why this?  

JD-

I posted this as it looks to me like part of an intel-state organized strike on the RFK Jr. campaign.

Similar to what happened to Oliver Stone's film, "JFK."  Before the film was even finished, the critics were savaging the production.

But why are CIA mouthpieces ripping RFK Jr.? Because of his stance on vaccines?

The CIA does not care about vaccines.

I contend it Is because RFK Jr. would open up the JFK Records, and try to curtail the Deep State. 

Why else are CIA lapdogs insinuating RFK Jr. pals around with white supremacists and Trump? 

Will some moderator please finally ban @Benjamin Cole ? He refuses to stop spamming this forum with RFK Jr. articles.

-

Benjamin, please stop. It is clear you are a Trump supporter and that you are here hyping RFK Jr. almost daily on this forum as if it's literally your job. We know you hate President Biden and that you are desperately hoping RFK Jr. will a spoiler for the 2024 election, splitting the vote and allowing a Republican to win.

It's fine if you are a Trump supporter. It's fine if you hate Biden. It's fine if you want to hype RFK Jr. every day. But please take the discussion elsewhere. Facebook, Twitter, other social media, or even the water cooler or political discussion section of this forum are more appropriate.

Let's be honest. You and others do not want to discuss RFK Jr. at the water cooler or political discussion section because there are no readers there. As I see it, you're doing it for readers.

I don't think Ben is a Trump supporter Denny.  I think he is an RFK Jr supporter.

But what is going on is that he and William are at loggerheads on the RFK candidacy. 

And so they have turned this into a to and fro battleground on that issue.

My view is that things like the Peace Speech and RFK's stance on the assassinations are proper for this site.  And in the new article I have up at K and K that is what I try and  focus on and end with.  And the last thing I would do is ban Ben.  he is a valuable researcher and he and Tom Gram have just driven Roe over the edge with their Walker article.

8 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

Will some moderator please finally ban @Benjamin Cole ? He refuses to stop spamming this forum with RFK Jr. articles.

-

Benjamin, please stop. It is clear you are a Trump supporter and that you are here hyping RFK Jr. almost daily on this forum as if it's literally your job. We know you hate President Biden and that you are desperately hoping RFK Jr. will a spoiler for the 2024 election, splitting the vote and allowing a Republican to win.

It's fine if you are a Trump supporter. It's fine if you hate Biden. It's fine if you want to hype RFK Jr. every day. But please take the discussion elsewhere. Facebook, Twitter, other social media, or even the water cooler or political discussion section of this forum are more appropriate.

Let's be honest. You and others do not want to discuss RFK Jr. at the water cooler or political discussion section because there are no readers there. As I see it, you're doing it for readers.

DZ-

I am not a Trump supporter. 

I supported a few of his policies, and found his non-globalist approach, and Southern border policies, to be better than the status quo.

But Trump has a perfectly awful character and personality. 

There is also a difference between concluding the establishment had long knives out for Trump, and was willing to use media, prosecution and investigation to further those knives, and believing that Trump was a good President.

Yes, Russiagate was a hoax, but that not make Trump a good president. 

I suspect you will survive my posts on RFK Jr., who is another non-establishment candidate getting the "Trump treatment." 

I post on RFK Jr. as I see known CIA media mouthpieces---such as The Rolling Stone---doing hit pieces on him. 

You think the CIA cares about RFK Jr.'s vaccine policies? Or rather, his likely JFK Records Act and intel-state policies? 

I do not hate Biden, or other candidates (including Trump) although I am appalled by the unforgivable Biden snuff job on the JFK Records. 

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I don't think Ben is a Trump supporter Denny.  I think he is an RFK Jr supporter.

But what is going on is that he and William are at loggerheads on the RFK candidacy. 

My view is that things like the Peace Speech and RFK's stance on the assassinations are proper for this site.  And in the new article I have up at K and K that is what I try and  focus on and end with.  And the last thing I would do is ban Ben.  he is a valuable researcher and he and Tom Gram have just driven Roe over the edge with their Walker article.

JD--

I contend RFK Jr.s stance on the JFK Records Act is very noteworthy and at the crux of matters...and why would CIA-mouthpieces, such as The Rolling Stone, care about vaccines? 

They do not...they care about what RFK Jr. would do on the JFK Records, and the intel-state at large. 

The vaccine stuff is just a stalking horse....you know that. 

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim,

I don't want to unnecessarily clutter the JFKA forum with old baggage from the 56 Years thread, but you are, evidently, unaware of Ben's lengthy, redundant history of bending over backwards to cover Donald Trump's derriere on the Education Forum.

Let's set the record straight, in the context of understanding Ben's numerous, daily RFK, Jr./Biden snuff job threads here promoting RFK, Jr.'s anti-Biden candidacy.

Ben doth protest too much about allegedly being non-partisan, while repeatedly bashing the "Donks," denying Trump's J6 coup attempt, Trump's Russia-gate scandal, etc., prior to the closure of the 56 Years thread.  You, yourself, encouraged Ben to finally watch the Congressional J6 hearings last summer, after he repeatedly, erroneously dismissed them as a "circus."

So, in fact, Denny Zartman is correct.  Ben's daily RFK, Jr. threads on this forum are redundant, indirect attacks on Biden and the Donks, in the guise of references to the JFK records.

Edited by W. Niederhut

55 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Jim,

I don't want to unnecessarily clutter the JFKA forum with old baggage from the 56 Years thread, but you are, evidently, unaware of Ben's lengthy, redundant history of bending over backwards to cover Donald Trump's derriere on the Education Forum.

Let's set the record straight, in the context of understanding Ben's numerous, daily RFK, Jr./Biden snuff job threads here promoting RFK, Jr.'s anti-Biden candidacy.

Ben doth protest too much about allegedly being non-partisan, while repeatedly bashing the "Donks," denying Trump's J6 coup attempt, Trump's Russia-gate scandal, etc., prior to the closure of the 56 Years thread.  You, yourself, encouraged Ben to finally watch the Congressional J6 hearings last summer, after he repeatedly, erroneously dismissed them as a "circus."

So, in fact, Denny Zartman is correct.  Ben's daily RFK, Jr. threads on this forum are redundant, indirect attacks on Biden and the Donks, in the guise of references to the JFK records.

W-

You are wrong. 

Many sensible, independent observers have concluded Russiagate was a hoax.  I have too.

None of those independent observers is a Trump supporter. Neither am I. 

I support neither major political party, nor the divisive, wearisome blue-red pissing wars.

I recognize when there is a collusive media, investigation and prosecution effort that has become politicized. 

BTW, that collusion happened in the 'Phant impeachment of Bill Clinton, who I rate as a pretty good President.

RFK Jr. supporters, Trump supporters, Biden supporters, Donks, 'Phants, the independent (that's me!) should all be treated civilly on this board.

We should invite the entire political spectrum. 

The JFKA ,and the JFK Records Act, is not about petty, partisan politics.