The Education Forum

Buell Frazier on Oswald package: "there was no gun"

A broken down rifle and associated tools carried in in a paper bag would be, let’s say, quite noticeable….both visibly & audibly. And I’m sure assembling a rifle takes time and tools, both unaccounted for. 
BWF gets my vote.

Edited by Sean Coleman

3 minutes ago, Sean Coleman said:

A broken down rifle and associated tools carried in in a paper bag would be, let’s say, quite noticeable….both visibly & audibly. And I’m sure assembling a rifle takes time and tools, both unaccounted for. 
BWF gets my vote.

CA8342A6-D7BE-4568-9F43-01FEABF9F05C.thumb.jpeg.fdd685100753a36785ae9b1bfe681c2a.jpeg

Not sure that full disassembly would be needed.

That said, the wooden stock of the gun looks long. I can't read the measuring rod.

What is the wooden barrel in inches? Doesn't look like an object that could fit in a small-ish bag. 

On 6/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

Not sure that full disassembly would be needed.

That said, the wooden stock of the gun looks long. I can't read the measuring rod.

What is the wooden barrel in inches? Doesn't look like an object that could fit in a small-ish bag. 

Quite right, steps 1-6 seem only to be required for barrel removal. 

I’m 6’1”, my maximum carrying abilities, underarm, from pit to cupped hand, a la LHO, is 23”. 

Edited by Sean Coleman

29 minutes ago, Sean Coleman said:

4D718DE5-3AB4-4B03-A014-4A936379585A.thumb.jpeg.f512a8b5edc9382e695b471285ff7668.jpeg

I’m 6’1”, my maximum carrying abilities, underarm, from pit to cupped hand, a la LHO, is 23”. 

Verily, it sure looks like even with a disassembled M-C, LHO could not whistle his way into the TSBD with a near three-foot long package the morning of 11/22. 

My guess is the rifle was brought in the night before. 

9 hours ago, Sean Coleman said:

And if LHO had assembled the gun inside the TSBD then it would be reasonable to expect that the tools used to have been found (as you imply) near to the snipers nest and there to have been finger prints on the metal parts of the rifle as well as the tools.  

Edit: having done some searches I have learnt that it is difficult to get finger prints from metal surfaces. 

Edited by Mart Hall
update

1 hour ago, Sean Coleman said:

Kind of says it all doesn't it?

A 34 inch long package laid sideways on the back seat of Frazier's car would have covered over half the length of the seat...no?

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Verily, it sure looks like even with a disassembled M-C, LHO could not whistle his way into the TSBD with a near three-foot long package the morning of 11/22. 

My guess is the rifle was brought in the night before. 

I forget the name of the company (Smith Detective?), but there was a private security company with keys to the TSBD that supposedly checked on the building every night. This was never investigated, and I think all we have for documentation is a single worthless 302 report. 

Considering how unbelievably shady the whole private detective scene was in New Orleans, with CIA connections up the wazoo and at least one still unidentified firm providing non-official cover for agency personnel, I think this is an angle worth exploring.

This is also why we need a complete list of proprietary cover companies in Dallas and New Orleans in 1963. I don’t think any of that stuff has been released, and I honestly doubt it’s even in the ARC at this point. The agency 100%, unquestionably worked with proprietary firms in Dallas, but to my knowledge not one company name has ever been released. 

Edited by Tom Gram

17 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

I forget the name of the company (Smith Detective?), but there was a private security company with keys to the TSBD that supposedly checked on the building every night. This was never investigated, and I think all we have for documentation is a single worthless 302 report. 

Considering how unbelievably shady the whole private detective scene was in New Orleans, with CIA connections up the wazoo and at least one still unidentified firm providing non-official cover for agency personnel, I think this is an angle worth exploring.

This is also why we need a complete list of proprietary cover companies in Dallas and New Orleans in 1963. I don’t think any of that stuff has been released, and I honestly doubt it’s even in the ARC at this point. The agency 100%, unquestionably worked with proprietary firms in Dallas, but to my knowledge not one company name has ever been released. 

Wasn't Dougherty responsible for opening the TSBD everyday? If he did, wouldn't he had access or knowleged of the company and people?

Just days before 11,22,1963 didn't Roy Truly himself bring in a high powered rifle or two to show off to his employee buddies?

Hey Bill Shelley...check this baby out!

Texas Rifle Club Depository Building.

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Just days before 11,22,1963 didn't Roy Truly himself bring in a high powered rifle or two to show off to his employee buddies?

If I ever get around to it, I will update my post on the strange person behind a locked door on the second floor of the TSBD during and in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. It was into that office that two cartons of rifles were brought a few days before the JFKA. 

For some reason content I created before April 2021 has disappeared...not sure why.

I remember now: It was Warren Caster, who brought two rifles into the TSBD to his second floor publishing office on Nov. 20.  The rifles were examined by admirers. He was seen leaving the building with two cartons late that day. Was anything inside the cartons? Who knows? 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

There was once an argument cited that disassembling a rifle not designed for it ruins the accuracy for the next firing.  Albeit that it's the "humane" Carcano...does that argument apply?

If so, could Oz have re-calibrated the scope on the sixth floor without test firings?

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Warren Caster...

1 minute ago, Ian Lloyd said:

Warren Caster...

Right. The dangest thing: I posted on this very topic but posts before April 2021 are gone into the ether. 

The strange thing is that during the JFKA, there was a person in Caster's second floor office, with an open window unto Elm, who did not open the locked door to her/his office in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA, despite urgent knocking. A female form in the office was seen through gauzy curtains. 

A female employee of that very office left the TSBD within one-to-two hours of the JFKA, unsearched. 

Other oddity: Many people in the TSBD, on floors above the second, described the sound of JFKA shots as coming from below them. 

Maybe David Von Pein can dredge up the post, since he found my commentary lacking. 

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Right. The dangest thing: I posted on this very topic but posts before April 2021 are gone into the ether. 

The strange thing is that during the JFKA, there was a person in Caster's second floor office, with an open window unto Elm, who did not open the locked door to her/his office in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA, despite urgent knocking. A female form in the office was seen through gauzy curtains. 

A female employee of that very office left the TSBD within one-to-two hours of the JFKA, unsearched. 

Other oddity: Many people in the TSBD, on floors above the second, described the sound of JFKA shots as coming from below them. 

Maybe David Von Pein can dredge up the post, since he found my commentary lacking. 

Any idea if any of these details were in the Warren Report, or do we only know this because of assassination researchers?