The Education Forum

NYT 1995, PBS 2023: Nothing Ever Changes

Sometimes it is instructive to reach back into history and see how the JFKA was treated and if anything has changed in the corporate media, even after so much new JFKA information has become public. 

Recently I came across a simply dreadful review of a dreadful book, Norman Mailer's Oswald's Tale: An American Mystery from 1995, in The New York Times. It is a book about LHO. 

You think the NYT is a class act? 

For whatever reason (including a total amnesia of the 1979 HSCA conclusion that the JFKA was likely the result of a conspiracy) the NYT saw fit to reprint Mailer's creepy, perverted, sordid rank speculation regarding LHO actions in the Philippines, while in the Marines. 

I apologize to readers for this, a portion of the 1995 NYT Review. 

Of the never-quite-explained death of one of Oswald's fellow marines in the Philippines, who died of a gunshot wound entering beneath the arm and exiting through the neck, Mailer writes that it is "an undeclared possibility" that he was murdered by a man performing fellatio! And it is "not inconceivable" that that man was Oswald! For this there is no trace of a wisp of a shred of evidence. But if it were true, imagine what an effect it would have had on him! In Mailer this sort of extravagance is a sign of irrepressible high spirits.

Was Mailer mentally ill? And the NYT reviewer also? And the editors at the NYT? The full 1995 review of the book is hardly any better. 

So it was with corporate media in 1995. Slandering LHO and the JFKA community was vile sport. 

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/98/05/10/specials/mailer-oswald.html?scp=43&sq=case%20schiller&st=cse

How about today, at the federally funded PBS?

The national public TV network on July 14 referred "debunked theories, misleading claims and outright falsehoods" and clumped unofficial explanations of JFKA  into that category.  

(Again, it should be noted the official HSCA did in fact officially conclude the JFKA had been perped by a conspiracy. But PBS evidently considered that an "outright falsehood").  

Notably, neither the NYT or PBS has murmured the slightest protest at the recent suppression of the JFK Records Act. They are not going to bat for transparency in government. 

Dudes, we cannot rely on corporate media. Pravda and Radio Tass could take lessons from these guys. 

It's game over. 

Read the primary docs yourself, when you can, on controversial public events. 

PBS is not run by the evil guv'ment, nor is it government-funded. It used to receive some funding from Uncle Sam but the Repubs put an end to that because they didn't feel their views had received proper representation. And, oh yeah, Elmo is gay. 

The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is an American public broadcaster and non-commercial,[1][2][3][4][5] free-to-air television network based in Arlington, Virginia.[6][7][8][9] PBS is a publicly funded nonprofit organization and the most prominent provider of educational programs to public television stations in the United States,[10][11][12][13] distributing shows such as Frontline, Nova, PBS NewsHour, Arthur, Sesame Street, and This Old House.[14]

PBS is funded by a combination of member station dues, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, pledge drives, and donations from both private foundations and individual citizens. All proposed funding for programming is subject to a set of standards to ensure the program is free of influence from the funding source.[15] PBS has over 350 member television stations, many owned by educational institutions, nonprofit groups both independent or affiliated with one particular local public school district or collegiate educational institution, or entities owned by or related to state government.[4]

As of 2020, PBS has nearly 350 member stations around the United States.[16]

Edited by Pat Speer

14 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

PBS is not run by the evil guv'ment, nor is it government-funded. It used to receive some funding from Uncle Sam but the Repubs put an end to that because they didn't feel their views had received proper representation. And, oh yeah, Elmo is gay. 

The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is an American public broadcaster and non-commercial,[1][2][3][4][5] free-to-air television network based in Arlington, Virginia.[6][7][8][9] PBS is a publicly funded nonprofit organization and the most prominent provider of educational programs to public television stations in the United States,[10][11][12][13] distributing shows such as Frontline, Nova, PBS NewsHour, Arthur, Sesame Street, and This Old House.[14]

PBS is funded by a combination of member station dues, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, pledge drives, and donations from both private foundations and individual citizens. All proposed funding for programming is subject to a set of standards to ensure the program is free of influence from the funding source.[15] PBS has over 350 member television stations, many owned by educational institutions, nonprofit groups both independent or affiliated with one particular local public school district or collegiate educational institution, or entities owned by or related to state government.[4]

As of 2020, PBS has nearly 350 member stations around the United States.[16]

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

CPB (Corp. for Public Broadcasting) receives federal funding from Congress and distributes the vast majority of funds to more than 1,500 locally managed public radio and television stations across the United States. CPB does not produce programming or own, operate, or manage any public media stations.

---30---

OK, the federal government gives money to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and they give money to PBS stations. That is federally funded. 

More importantly----

I would prefer the federal government get out of anything to do with media, from PBS stations, to Op Mock (now a huge alliance of intel-state with media) to the attempted, somewhat successful and now illegal manipulation of social media.

Sadly, my view is not popular with New Donks. 

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

CPB (Corp. for Public Broadcasting) receives federal funding from Congress and distributes the vast majority of funds to more than 1,500 locally managed public radio and television stations across the United States. CPB does not produce programming or own, operate, or manage any public media stations.

---30---

OK, the federal government gives money to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and they give money to PBS stations. That is federally funded. 

More importantly----

I would prefer the federal government get out of anything to do with media, from PBS stations, to Op Mock (now a huge alliance of intel-state with media) to the attempted, somewhat successful and now illegal manipulation of social media.

Sadly, my view is not popular with New Donks. 

Yes, there is a middle man. The CPB receives a relatively small amount of funding from the Federal Government, and disperses this funding among hundreds of stations. There is no one in the Federal government barking out orders as to what PBS' position should be on this or that--much to the chagrin of Republicans. As stated, they cut CPB funding under Trump (although apparently they didn't cut it all), in no small part because Trump and his acolytes hate the fact PBS has been so gol-darned progressive for the past 60 years or so--and has been pro-diversity, from Mr. Rogers on down to Sesame Street and Sid the Science Kid. 

As to the whether or not PBS should receive any funding...yes, yes , yes. We give billions to farmers NOT to grow crops. So why can't we give less than 1% of that amount of money to PBS stations to support quality children's programs, etc. As a father, and my son's primary care-taker, I can state that the best kid's programs were on PBS. There were a few on Nick as well. But the PBS programs--Sesame Street, Sid the Science Kid, Dinosaur Train, Word World, Super Why, etc, were far better and helped prepare my son for Kindergarten. 

Now, the MAGA folks hate these programs because they support diversity and fairness. God forbid. I mean, the mama pterosaur on Dinosaur Train just so happened to be raising a baby T-Rex whose egg ended up in her nest. Eegads!

Edited by Pat Speer

4 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Yes, there is a middle man. The CPB receives a relatively small amount of funding from the Federal Government, and disperses this funding among hundreds of stations. There is no one in the Federal government barking out orders as to what PBS' position should be on this or that--much to the chagrin of Republicans. As stated, they cut CPB funding under Trump (although apparently they didn't cut it all), in no small part because Trump and his acolytes hate the fact PBS has been so gol-darned progressive for the past 60 years or so--and has been pro-diversity, from Mr. Rogers on down to Sesame Street and Sid the Science Kid. 

As to the whether or not PBS should receive any funding...yes, yes , yes. We give billions to farmers NOT to grow crops. So why can't we give less than 1% of that amount of money to PBS stations to support quality children's programs, etc. As a father, and my son's primary care-taker, I can state that the best kid's programs were on PBS. There were a few on Nick as well. But the PBS programs--Sesame Street, Sid the Science Kid, Dinosaur Train, Word World, Super Why, etc, were far better and helped prepare my son for Kindergarten. 

Now, the MAGA folks hate these programs because they support diversity and fairness. God forbid. I mean, the mama pterosaur on Dinosaur Train just so happened to be raising a baby T-Rex whose egg ended up in her nest. Eegads!

I can't speak for MAGA folks. 

I can say I find the idea of government-funded news organizations dubious at best, and certainly Op Mock and manipulation of social media content appalling. 

If children's educational programs become didactic, then that is of concern also. 

Anyway my post was about PBS declaring those who believe the JFKA resulted from conspiracy believed in a "debunked" theory, or "outright falsehood." 

That certainly seems like content for ERF0JFKA. 

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

This sort of nonsensical GOP propaganda, that Pat has rightfully mocked, belongs in Political Discussions, not the JFK forum.

My post was about PBS declaring those who believe the JFKA resulted from conspiracy in fact believed in a "debunked" theory, or "outright falsehood." 

That certainly seems like content for EF-JFKA. I also criticized the privately funded NYT

Or, has the belief that the JFKA resulted from conspiracy now become a "MAGA talking point"? 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:04 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

I apologize to readers for this, a portion of the 1995 NYT Review. 

Of the never-quite-explained death of one of Oswald's fellow marines in the Philippines, who died of a gunshot wound entering beneath the arm and exiting through the neck, Mailer writes that it is "an undeclared possibility" that he was murdered by a man performing fellatio! And it is "not inconceivable" that that man was Oswald! For this there is no trace of a wisp of a shred of evidence. But if it were true, imagine what an effect it would have had on him! In Mailer this sort of extravagance is a sign of irrepressible high spirits.

Was Mailer mentally ill? And the NYT reviewer also? And the editors at the NYT? The full 1995 review of the book is hardly any better. 

Just some context...  don't shoot the messenger

Uh, not so far fetched. (See reports below)  It was well known that Shaw, Ferrie, Ruby, Senator, Russo,... and others in their circle were homosexual as well as involved with young hispanic men.

The other Hoover supposedly said, is written within 3 hours of Ruby killing Oswald.  3rd paragraph, 4th sentence.

Don't know about the act involved at the time of death... 

From H&L:
On the night of January 5, 1958 Martin E. Schrand (a member of the 6-man squad who was with Lee Oswald at radar school, El Toro, and on the ship to Japan), was guarding two of rows of 80 trucks near the waters edge at Subic Bay. About 8:00 pm the riot gun (Winchester Model 12 shotgun) issued to Schrand for his watch discharged into the left side of his rib cage, underneath his armpit. A guard, patrolling in a boat near the waters edge heard the blast, but saw no activity in the vicinity of the waterfront.
LCDR Clark B. Walbridge was the Security Officer on duty that night and ar­rived at the scene within minutes. He immediately called in three vehicle patrols and 10 Marines to seal off the general area and then began a search for an assailant. The search continued throughout the night and ended the following day at dawn with nega­tive results.
A subsequent investigation revealed powder burns on the inside of Schrand's left arm and his left rib cage, which indicated the shotgun had discharged when aligned vertically with his body, while the butt of the gun was on or near the ground. Drop tests were conducted on similar shotguns to determine the likelihood of the weapon discharg­ing when the butt of the gun impacted on the ground. The tests revealed that in 9 out of 30 drop tests the weapon would have discharged had it been loaded. Schrand's death, therefore, was ruled "accidental" and thought to have been the result of his loading a live round into the chamber of the weapon and then impacting the butt of the gun on the ground, which caused the weapon to discharge into his left rib cage.
Zack Stout was due to relieve Schrand at midnight but was called in early, af­ter the accident occurred. He remembered seeing a piece of candy laying on the ground in the middle of Schrand's coagulated blood, and never forgot his long night on guard duty. A Marine acquaintance of Oswald's, Donald Camarata, told the FBI that he heard "rumors" Oswald had in some way been involved or was responsible for Schrand's death. Stout, who was with Lee Oswald when Schrand was shot told me, "Anyone who claimed Oswald was in some way responsible was crazy.....Oswald and I were far away from Schrand when he was shot." 1 (Author's interview with Jack Stout)

image.gif.44f9c4f04500f064b0d80cbff562eede.gif

5a4ebcbabb2e8_63-12-02OswaldandRubyhomosexualloversDallasT-1Summer1963beforeMexico.thumb.jpg.6cc9777b65332722a383b16dae34c545.jpg1502070636_OswaldandRubyhomosexualloversDallasT-1Summer1963beforeMexico-RubygetsLeeanapartmentinhisbuilding-web-redconvertibleVaganov.jpg.6cb9e9a122e32848e554b78228d7a3dd.jpg

3 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Just some context...  don't shoot the messenger

Uh, not so far fetched. (See reports below)  It was well known that Shaw, Ferrie, Ruby, Senator, Russo,... and others in their circle were homosexual as well as involved with young hispanic men.

The other Hoover supposedly said, is written within 3 hours of Ruby killing Oswald.  3rd paragraph, 4th sentence.

Don't know about the act involved at the time of death... 

From H&L:
On the night of January 5, 1958 Martin E. Schrand (a member of the 6-man squad who was with Lee Oswald at radar school, El Toro, and on the ship to Japan), was guarding two of rows of 80 trucks near the waters edge at Subic Bay. About 8:00 pm the riot gun (Winchester Model 12 shotgun) issued to Schrand for his watch discharged into the left side of his rib cage, underneath his armpit. A guard, patrolling in a boat near the waters edge heard the blast, but saw no activity in the vicinity of the waterfront.
LCDR Clark B. Walbridge was the Security Officer on duty that night and ar­rived at the scene within minutes. He immediately called in three vehicle patrols and 10 Marines to seal off the general area and then began a search for an assailant. The search continued throughout the night and ended the following day at dawn with nega­tive results.
A subsequent investigation revealed powder burns on the inside of Schrand's left arm and his left rib cage, which indicated the shotgun had discharged when aligned vertically with his body, while the butt of the gun was on or near the ground. Drop tests were conducted on similar shotguns to determine the likelihood of the weapon discharg­ing when the butt of the gun impacted on the ground. The tests revealed that in 9 out of 30 drop tests the weapon would have discharged had it been loaded. Schrand's death, therefore, was ruled "accidental" and thought to have been the result of his loading a live round into the chamber of the weapon and then impacting the butt of the gun on the ground, which caused the weapon to discharge into his left rib cage.
Zack Stout was due to relieve Schrand at midnight but was called in early, af­ter the accident occurred. He remembered seeing a piece of candy laying on the ground in the middle of Schrand's coagulated blood, and never forgot his long night on guard duty. A Marine acquaintance of Oswald's, Donald Camarata, told the FBI that he heard "rumors" Oswald had in some way been involved or was responsible for Schrand's death. Stout, who was with Lee Oswald when Schrand was shot told me, "Anyone who claimed Oswald was in some way responsible was crazy.....Oswald and I were far away from Schrand when he was shot." 1 (Author's interview with Jack Stout)

image.gif.44f9c4f04500f064b0d80cbff562eede.gif

5a4ebcbabb2e8_63-12-02OswaldandRubyhomosexualloversDallasT-1Summer1963beforeMexico.thumb.jpg.6cc9777b65332722a383b16dae34c545.jpg1502070636_OswaldandRubyhomosexualloversDallasT-1Summer1963beforeMexico-RubygetsLeeanapartmentinhisbuilding-web-redconvertibleVaganov.jpg.6cb9e9a122e32848e554b78228d7a3dd.jpg

DJ-

The odious paragraph in Mailer's book, and re-excreted the NYT book review, regarding the death of a Marine in the Philippines, who was on the same base as LHO---the lone connection between the two men---is contemptible at best. 

19 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

DJ-

The odious paragraph in Mailer's book, and re-excreted the NYT book review, regarding the death of a Marine in the Philippines, who was on the same base as LHO---the lone connection between the two men---is contemptible at best. 

As we discuss the horrific assassination of the 35th POTUS your sense of morality is bothered by reference to Oswald as homosexual with the possibility there was much more to this story than Zack Stout replayed to John A.

These men were homosexual.  These men were seen together at New Orleans bath houses doing what Mailer claims in the first part of his accusation.  
What, one wonders, would cause this man to drop his rifle butt first to the ground...?

Not really the point here Ben...  I don't think Mailer is trying to disparage the dead soldier - and one would have thought if this was so egregious to the Schrand family something would have been done about the terrible libel on either the Schrand or the Oswald family...

A lot of this was going on - and many lives ruined over such a thing.  I'd need to do more research on Schrand...  but the context rings true based on what is reported and witnessed later on in Dallas and New Orleans.

hoovertolson.jpg.7324bb9aadc72f2818a2226b6b304e72.jpg

10 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I can't speak for MAGA folks. 

I can say I find the idea of government-funded news organizations dubious at best, and certainly Op Mock and manipulation of social media content appalling. 

If children's educational programs become didactic, then that is of concern also. 

Anyway my post was about PBS declaring those who believe the JFKA resulted from conspiracy believed in a "debunked" theory, or "outright falsehood." 

That certainly seems like content for ERF0JFKA. 

A final thought on this, Ben. I taught my son to read when he was 2. By the time he was 5, he was reading at a faster rate than any adult I knew, and with better comprehension on topics he cared about. So I was and remain very active in my son's education. And I can tell you this. ALL children's stories have an agenda. They always have, and always will. For many years the moral was to listen to your parents, or love your country, etc. But, from Dumbo on, the moral has been to not judge a book by its cover, to not be prejudiced, to be fair, to believe in yourself...etc. Progressive ideas. It's not a mistake that the characters on Sesame Street come in an assortment of colors, and that the humans on Sesame Street come in a variety of tones. It's by design. And it's not a mistake that the central characters of Disney, Pixar, you name it, children's films are now mostly female. They are sending a message. And the message is that little girls need no longer feel inferior, in any way. 

Now, a certain percentage of the population is terrified by this, and would like us to go back to a time that never really existed. I mean, I always preferred Nancy Drew to the Hardy Boys anyhow, and I always thought Gretel was the hero of Hansel and Gretel. So Girl power rah rah! 

5 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

A final thought on this, Ben. I taught my son to read when he was 2. By the time he was 5, he was reading at a faster rate than any adult I knew, and with better comprehension on topics he cared about. So I was and remain very active in my son's education. And I can tell you this. ALL children's stories have an agenda. They always have, and always will. For many years the moral was to listen to your parents, or love your country, etc. But, from Dumbo on, the moral has been to not judge a book by its cover, to not be prejudiced, to be fair, to believe in yourself...etc. Progressive ideas. It's not a mistake that the characters on Sesame Street come in an assortment of colors, and that the humans on Sesame Street come in a variety of tones. It's by design. And it's not a mistake that the central characters of Disney, Pixar, you name it, children's films are now mostly female. They are sending a message. And the message is that little girls need no longer feel inferior, in any way. 

Now, a certain percentage of the population is terrified by this, and would like us to go back to a time that never really existed. I mean, I always preferred Nancy Drew to the Hardy Boys anyhow, and I always thought Gretel was the hero of Hansel and Gretel. So Girl power rah rah! 

Congratulations on raising a literate son. 

My son prefers video games, but seems to realize there is more in the world, now that he is in the Thai Army (they take away the smartphones). There is universal (male) conscription in Thailand, and for many reasons that is a practice I endorse. 

But none of this has anything to do with my post, that a government-funded news organization was defining as "debunked" all JFKA conspiracy theories. 

In brief, we have a government-sponsored "news" organization declaring that a government-affiliated JFKA was done by a lone-nut assassin, and that conspiracy theories have been "debunked." Or, were outright falsehoods. 

Even in this day that is tenor of coverage at the NYT, WaPo, PBS et al. 

Crazier still, we are hearing it is "MAGA talk" that the JFKA was perped by government-affiliated individuals or groups. 

You might think Op Mock is going on, and that is relevant to the EF-JFKA. 

6 hours ago, David Josephs said:

As we discuss the horrific assassination of the 35th POTUS your sense of morality is bothered by reference to Oswald as homosexual with the possibility there was much more to this story than Zack Stout replayed to John A.

These men were homosexual.  These men were seen together at New Orleans bath houses doing what Mailer claims in the first part of his accusation.  
What, one wonders, would cause this man to drop his rifle butt first to the ground...?

Not really the point here Ben...  I don't think Mailer is trying to disparage the dead soldier - and one would have thought if this was so egregious to the Schrand family something would have been done about the terrible libel on either the Schrand or the Oswald family...

A lot of this was going on - and many lives ruined over such a thing.  I'd need to do more research on Schrand...  but the context rings true based on what is reported and witnessed later on in Dallas and New Orleans.

hoovertolson.jpg.7324bb9aadc72f2818a2226b6b304e72.jpg

Well, we are on different pages on this one. 

Even if LHO was gay, to imply he murdered another human while performing fellatio...really, this is too foul a calumny to contemplate.

It is a way to befoul the image of LHO. That was Mailer's purpose. 

Ponder....

Oddly, after two years in Russia, not one person there ever said LHO was homosexual, although he hotly pursued a number of women.

No one in the Marines, in which he camped in close quarters and showered etc with many other males for a couple of years, ever even hinted LHO was homosexual. Not one. 

There is no evidence LHO was a homosexual. Not one male has ever stood up and said, "I was LHO's boyfriend." 

Better asked is, "Why would Mailer print such stool-droppings, and why would the NYT stoop to ingest and re-excrete it?"