The Education Forum

2017: Smithsonian Mag Compares JFK/Elvis Death Conspiracy Theories

The government-funded Smithsonian Magazine, which once printed a lie about a bullet that passed through General Walker's scalp, compares JFK conspiracy theories to Elvis Presley conspiracy theories. 

Evidently the article was re-excreted from The Conversation. 

---30---

The Release of JFK Assassination Files Later This Month Has Conspiracy Theorists On the Edge of Their Seats

The material is expected to spark new interest in the 35th president’s death

Ken Drinkwater and Neil Dagnall, The Conversation

October 16, 2017

John F. Kennedy Will the files show who was really behind the assassination of John F. Kennedy? White House Press Office photograph

It’s 2017, and conspiracy theorists around the world are eagerly awaiting the release of thousands of never seen before government documents related to the assassination of president John F. Kennedy. Due out in late October, the new material will no doubt reignite interest in the JFK assassination and it is likely that a host of new conspiracy theories will come to light as a result.

Ironically, author Jim Marrs, who wrote the bestselling book Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy, sadly passed in August, and will be unable to add to this discussion. But of course like all good conspiracy theorists, Marrs is now at the centre of one. His death is one of several recent prominent conspiracy theorists, who are now the subject of intrigue, machination and conspiracy.

Marr consistently backed the theory that there wasn’t just a lone gunman involved in the shooting and claimed that Kennedy was murdered by high ranking officials and businessmen – who all wanted to see the president dead because they didn’t like his policies.

Seeing is believing

Conspiracies also frequently emerge during times of fear and uncertainty – such as disasters, financial crisis, deaths. This suggests that conspiracy theories provide a sense of individual control by enabling people to make sense of the world.

Although belief in conspiracy theories is often criticised, many are widely endorsed, and even accepted by the general population. These theories can then go on to influence perceptions of important contemporary and historical events – as seen with the moon landings and the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The persistence and generation of conspiracy theories demonstrates their individual and social significance, and people endorse conspiracies for a variety of reasons. This is usually, when either no definitive explanation for an event exists, or the official account appears inadequate.

The year of conspiracy?

But the JFK files aren’t the only thing to get conspiracy theorists excited in 2017. A number of other landmarks in conspiracy theories have also happened this year – August 16 was the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death, and August 30 marked 20 years since the tragic passing of Diana Princess of Wales. Both deaths over the years have similarly developed their own folklore and debates. Some Elvis Presley conspiracies claim the singer faked his own death to escape the pressures of fame, while others have suggested Elvis was a government informant, under threat from the mob. And there have been numerous reported sightings of Elvis alive and well. The most common theory about Diana is that she did not die accidentally, but was murdered.

The king is alive. The king is alive. Shutterstock

But as a celebrity, you don’t have to be dead to be caught up in a conspiracy – as the singer Avril Lavigne has discovered. May marked 15 years since the “Avril is dead story” first came to light. This 2003 conspiracy theory proposed that the singer died that year – aged 18 – and a doppelganger took her place. The anniversary, of course, caused the story to return. Other celebrities, such as Paul McCartney and Eminem have also been the focus of similar conspiracies.

Fans think Avril Lavigne died and was replaced by a clone named Melissa. Fans think Avril Lavigne died and was replaced by a clone named Melissa. Shutterstock

New conspiracies have also emerged this year. The solar-eclipse was said to be the start of the end of the world, while the Charlottesville riots were purportedly orchestrated by the American liberal left to discredit President Donald Trump. Then there was the Oscar mix-up – when Warren Beatty wrongly announced La La Land rather than Moonlight as the winner of the best picture. This generated an array of conspiracy theories, the best of which was that it was calculated revenge by a previously overlooked actor.

No possible explanation

Sometimes though, conspiracy theories on occasion do turn out to be true. For instance, in the 1950s and 1960s the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) covertly conducted studies using mind control techniques. This was known as Project MK- Ultra and because of its theme and the destruction of records that was part of it, continues to be at the centre of many conspiracy theories. But it’s existence proves that sometimes fact can be stranger than fiction.

Michael Shermer, the US science writer and founder of The Sceptics Society argues that the brain acts as a belief generator, which is continually attempting to provide explanations to account for events. This explains why conspiracy theories draw causal connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena.

In this way, simple solutions appear implausible. For instance, in the case of the Oscar mix-up the idea that the envelopes were accidentally swapped seems incredibly simple and improbable. Frequently though, conspiracy theories tend to act as nothing more than a form of gossip and rumour.

Ultimately, people have always shared these theories because they are interesting – truthfulness and accuracy are less important and often incidental. So whatever the outcome of the soon to be released JFK files, as is most likely the case with many longstanding conspiracies, they won’t get in the way of what is already a good story.

Isn't this from 2017?

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Isn't this from 2017?

Yes. I note so in the post title. 

I am running reviews of past media coverage...hopefully instructive as we approach the big 60. 

This year and next promises to be doozies.

We have the JFK Records Act, the 60th anniversary of the JFKA, and RFK Jr. running for president, and publicly stating the CIA was connected to the JFKA, and that LHO was a CIA asset. 

Op Mock on steroids, coming your way. 

The article mentions the conspiracy theories about Princess Diana's death. Well, just remember that Fletcher Prouty said, in writing, that he would not be surprised to learn that the Secret Team assassinated Princess Diana. It is exactly that kind of nutjob material that makes all conspiracy theorists look like crackpots, like uneducated people on the fringe of society.

Of course, Prouty said nuttier things than that, yet we have a number of conspiracy theorists who continue to quote him and defend him.

Edited by Michael Griffith

4 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

The article mentions the conspiracy theories about Princess Diana's death. Well, just remember that Fletcher Prouty said, in writing, that he would not be surprised to learn that the Secret Team assassinated Princess Diana. It is exactly that kind of nutjob material that makes all conspiracy theorists look like crackpots, like uneducated people on the fringe of society.

Michael,

I became interested in the JFK assassination because of inexpiable things that were reported about it.

Because of your Prouty comment about his saying that he wouldn't be surprised if the Secret Team assassinated Princess Diana, I was curious and checked to see if there were likewise inexplicable things reported about her death. Without much effort I discovered the allegation that Diana's ambulance took her to the hospital that was the fourth farthest away from the accident site, and actually drove past the front door of one of nearer hospitals. That seems pretty suspicious.

What this means to me is that I should at least read one well respected conspiracy book on Princess Diana's death before I make up my mind whether or not there was likely a conspiracy behind her death.

Your statement above indicates that you have already decided there was no such conspiracy. My question for you is, how did you decide there was no conspiracy?

On 7/28/2023 at 7:39 AM, Michael Griffith said:

Of course, Prouty said nuttier things than that, yet we have a number of conspiracy theorists who continue to quote him and defend him.

Princess Diana did pretty much predict what was supposed to happen to her and why...and that's what we're living with now...

On 7/28/2023 at 3:08 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

Yes. I note so in the post title. 

I am running reviews of past media coverage...hopefully instructive as we approach the big 60. 

This year and next promises to be doozies.

We have the JFK Records Act, the 60th anniversary of the JFKA, and RFK Jr. running for president, and publicly stating the CIA was connected to the JFKA, and that LHO was a CIA asset. 

Op Mock on steroids, coming your way. 

RFK Jr. also stated that he thought the Corona plague was designed in such a way as to protect Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese...

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

RFK Jr. also stated that he thought the Corona plague was designed in such a way as to protect Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese...

As I understand it, RFK Jr. referenced a research paper that discussed how COVID may have disparate ethnic resilience and, importantly, RFK Jr. did not assert that any potential disparate impactof COVID across ethnicities was a design intention.

5 hours ago, K K Lane said:

As I understand it, RFK Jr. referenced a research paper that discussed how COVID may have disparate ethnic resilience and, importantly, RFK Jr. did not assert that any potential disparate impactof COVID across ethnicities was a design intention.

"Engineered to spare..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/15/us/politics/rfk-jr-remarks-covid.html

5 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

In context, RFK Jr's comments were not offensive. 

Neither were his comments about C19 regimes and Nazi Germany. 

RFK Jr. is not perfect; none of us are. 

IMHO, he is better than the options and has not done an illegal snuff job on the JFK Records Act, ala the Puppet-Dictator-in-Chief. 

So...who do we vote for? 

7 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

In context, RFK Jr's comments were not offensive. 

Neither were his comments about C19 regimes and Nazi Germany. 

RFK Jr. is not perfect; none of us are. 

IMHO, he is better than the options and has not done an illegal snuff job on the JFK Records Act, ala the Puppet-Dictator-in-Chief. 

So...who do we vote for? 

I find them startling.  I am curious, as they may point to a connection as yet concealed that may come to light...

On 7/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Michael,

I became interested in the JFK assassination because of inexpiable things that were reported about it.

Because of your Prouty comment about his saying that he wouldn't be surprised if the Secret Team assassinated Princess Diana, I was curious and checked to see if there were likewise inexplicable things reported about her death. Without much effort I discovered the allegation that Diana's ambulance took her to the hospital that was the fourth farthest away from the accident site, and actually drove past the front door of one of nearer hospitals. That seems pretty suspicious.

What this means to me is that I should at least read one well respected conspiracy book on Princess Diana's death before I make up my mind whether or not there was likely a conspiracy behind her death.

Your statement above indicates that you have already decided there was no such conspiracy. My question for you is, how did you decide there was no conspiracy?

You discovered the "allegation" that the ambulance took Diana to the hospital that was the fourth farthest away. And this is supposed to be some kind of indication that she was assassinated? Who made the allegation? Was it confirmed? Was she taken to that hospital because it was considered to be better than the others? Was she taken there because that is where the ambulance driver usually took patients? 

Anyway, how have I decided there was no conspiracy in Diana's death? One, no one had a motive for assassinating her. Two, there is no rational doubt that she died in a car accident. Three, her driver was drunk and on drugs and was driving exceedingly fast and just lost control of the vehicle. Four, there is no evidence of any conspiracy to kill her. 

9 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

Anyway, how have I decided there was no conspiracy in Diana's death? One, no one had a motive for assassinating her. Two, there is no rational doubt that she died in a car accident. Three, her driver was drunk and on drugs and was driving exceedingly fast and just lost control of the vehicle. Four, there is no evidence of any conspiracy to kill her. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/oct/20/2

Diana 'told of plot to kill her'

Princess Diana warned of a plot to kill her in a car crash 10 months before her death, it was claimed today.

In a letter that her former butler, Paul Burrell, says she told him to keep "just in case", she writes that a crash was being planned so Prince Charles could remarry.

Diana names who or what she believes is masterminding a car crash. For legal reasons, that detail is omitted from a version of the letter published today in the Daily Mirror, which is serialising Mr Burrell's book about his life with the princess.

She writes: "[Word omitted] is planning 'an accident' in my car, brake failure and serious head injury in order to make the path clear for Charles to marry."...

https://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/10/20/diana.letter/index.html

Diana letter 'warned of car plot'

13 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/oct/20/2

Diana 'told of plot to kill her'

Princess Diana warned of a plot to kill her in a car crash 10 months before her death, it was claimed today.

In a letter that her former butler, Paul Burrell, says she told him to keep "just in case", she writes that a crash was being planned so Prince Charles could remarry.

Diana names who or what she believes is masterminding a car crash. For legal reasons, that detail is omitted from a version of the letter published today in the Daily Mirror, which is serialising Mr Burrell's book about his life with the princess.

She writes: "[Word omitted] is planning 'an accident' in my car, brake failure and serious head injury in order to make the path clear for Charles to marry."...

https://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/10/20/diana.letter/index.html

Diana letter 'warned of car plot'

Oh my goodness. Is Elvis still alive? Were the Moon landings faked? Were the WTC towers brought down by controlled demolitions? Did a missile, and not an airliner, hit the Pentagon on 9/11? Did Churchill poison FDR? Did Paul McCartney really die in 1966 and get replaced by a lookalike? Is everything a conspiracy?

Princess Diana did not die because her brakes were tampered with. She died because her driver was drunk and high on drugs and was dangerously speeding. 

How does Prouty's nutcase speculation that the "Secret Team" whacked Princess Diana garner any support from the alleged Princess Diana letter, which says that she believed that Prince Charles was going to have her car brakes tampered with to kill her in a car accident so that Charles could marry again. Did the "Secret Team" really care whom Charles married or whether he could remarry? Really?

Is it not much more likely that Princess Diana was being a bit paranoid and was voicing unfounded fears in the letter?

What do we expect regular educated people to believe about the case for conspiracy in the JFK case when they see JFKA conspiracy theorists peddling nutty conspiracy theories that range from fake Moon landings to WTC controlled demolitions to Princess Diana's and John Lennon's alleged assassinations by intelligence agencies? It is just nutty and embarrassing.

Edited by Michael Griffith

38 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

Oh my goodness. Is Elvis still alive? Were the Moon landings faked? Were the WTC towers brought down by controlled demolitions? Did a missile, and not an airliner, hit the Pentagon on 9/11? Did Churchill poison FDR? Did Paul McCartney really die in 1966 and get replaced by a lookalike? Is everything a conspiracy?

Funny that the David Cole of the Vietnam war is going to start off with insults instead of researching the topic, lol! 

You literally sound like Jim Moore with your lame insults..  

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/princess-diana-death-conspiracy-theories-b2248362.html

I don't start researching conspiracies until there is a pattern and Princess Diana saying they are plotting to kill her in a car accident and that's how she died and the fact that all the cameras in the tunnel malfunctioned and didn't record the event.. I'd say there is two highly unlikely things coming together and that tends to only happen in conspiracies.. You know like molten metal pouring out of the WTC building before the "collapse" which isn't scientifically possible and NORAD doing drills for the same thing happening at the same time so they responded to phantoms in the drill instead of the hijacking, and we won't get started on Norman Menetta and the "Do the orders still stand?" with Dick Cheney that's obviously way over YOUR head...

Prouty is referring to British SAS not that there is one secret team that does conspiracies all over the world like the watchmen..  It's rather humorous that you will entertain there being people involved with the Dallas Police that were Military Intelligence but that British SAS might have been among the paparazzi that chased the car and may have helped cause the crash (since the cameras went out, we don't know) 

I don't know if it is a conspiracy, but my scales definitely tip towards conspiracy considering Diana predicted her own death and it happened in the same manner she said..