Jump to content
The Education Forum

Umbrella Man revisited . . .


Recommended Posts

@Mervyn Hagger Most are aware that Louis Steven Witt worked for Rio Grande National Life Ins. founded by South Texas businessman Robert Wiley Baxter.  (Roy Truly who hired LH Oswald lived in the same block of Jade St. as the secretary/treas. of Baxter's RGNLI.)

Dallas INS office was located in Baxter's Rio Grande, compelling Oswald to have been inside the building.  In 1963, the SW region commissioner of INS was Harlon B. Carter, former head of Texas Border Patrol who was a close friend of fellow border patrol and infamous sharpshooter Charles Askins. Following the war, Army Col. Askins was posted in the US embassy in Madrid. Government records indicate Col. Askins was assigned to keep tabs on the arms dealings conducted by Hitler's one time favorite commando Otto Skorzeny from his base in the Spanish capital. Reports of Skorzeny's activities were also crossing the desk of chief of Western European division Office of Special Operations, Winston Scott. At the time, CIA agent Al Ulmer — who on November 22 was visiting his brother Dan in Tyler Texas along with George and Barbara Bush — was also posted in Madrid.

Fast forward, Witt's boss R.W. Baxter was on the board of Texas Bank and Trust with Robert Baxter Garrett who lived at 3525 Turtle Creek Blvd., home of Clint Murchison's notorious gambling venue and residence of Sun Oil Co. Jack and Roberta Pew, long time business mentor of Ilya Mamantov who, at the behest of Pew's good friend Jack Crichton of Empire Trust, served as Marina's initial translator in the hours following her husband's arrest.  Crichton, along with Joe Zeppa of Tyler who on that fateful Friday flew Barbara and George from Tyler to catch a flight out of Love Field, played integral roles in the 1952  Skorzeny - Meadows oil scheme blessed by Spanish-fascist dictator Franco.  In October of 1963, Algur H. Meadows — board member of Republic National Bank and primary source of the bank's hidden assets filed under the Howard Corporation,  along with a cadre of Dallas independent oilmen returned to Madrid to receive an award for his efforts. Is it reasonable to suspect Meadows et al had a reunion with Otto and Ilse Skorzeny in Madrid just weeks before the assassination on their home turf?

Has it been determined why Baxter's employee at Rio Grande Louis Steven Witt waited years to come forward to claim that he walked all the way from Field St., carrying an umbrella and by-passing numerous opportunities along the way only to settle on 411 Elm to harass the president's motorcade?

Edited by Leslie Sharp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my scenario it would be Vidal's close friend and operational partner in anti-Castro activities Roy Hargraves.  Not sure who Steve would propose in his scenario?   Both Hargraves and Vidal were both almost killed in a mysterious boat explosion not long after the assassination,  Hargraves moved out to California and Vidal ended up on the boat mission into Cuba that resulted in his capture and death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

In my scenario it would be Vidal's close friend and operational partner in anti-Castro activities Roy Hargraves.  Not sure who Steve would propose in his scenario?   Both Hargraves and Vidal were both almost killed in a mysterious boat explosion not long after the assassination,  Hargraves moved out to California and Vidal ended up on the boat mission into Cuba that resulted in his capture and death.

Alan K. has made the same argument.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Has it been determined why Baxter's employee at Rio Grande Louis Steven Witt waited years to come forward to claim that he walked all the way from Field St., carrying an umbrella and by-passing numerous opportunities along the way only to settle on 411 Elm to harass the president's motorcade?

Witt’s HSCA testimony (emphasis added):

Mr. GENZMAN. What did you do when you arrived at Elm Street? 
Mr. WITT. Well, I ended up turning left and going down into what is known as Dealey Plaza. The only reason I can think that I ended up down there was possibly I looked down there and saw an area where there were not a large group of people. There were people in that area but there was also in this area which later became known as the grassy knoll, there was no one out in that area in any great number. 
Mr. GENZMAN. What did you do when you reached the grassy knoll? 
Mr. WITT. I think I went sort of maybe halfway up the grassy area, somewhere in that vicinity. I am pretty sure I sat down. 
Mr. GENZMAN. Were you waiting for the motorcade? 
Mr. WITT. Yes. 
Mr. GENZMAN. Do you recall how long you waited? 
Mr. WITT. I really couldn't say. I don't think I was there very long. Since I was not that all-fired determined to carry out what I set out to do, I am sure I didn't wait a great length of time. 
Mr. GENZMAN. Did the motorcade come soon thereafter? 
Mr. WITT. Yes, it apparently did. 
Mr. GENZMAN. What did you do when you saw the motorcade coming into the area? 
Mr. WITT. Well, as I recall, the motorcade had already made the turn and was coming down Elm Street going west on Elm before I became aware it was there, and it would have been from a straight- line position off to my left about like this [indicating] when I saw it. 
Mr. GENZMAN. What did you do when you saw it approaching you? 
Mr. WITT. I think I got up and started fiddling with that umbrella trying to get it open, and at the same time I was walking forward, walking toward the street. 
Mr. GENZMAN. You testified that you were opening the umbrella to use it as a symbol hoping to catch the President's eye? 
Mr. WITT. Yes, sir. </q>

HSCA Report (emphasis added)

Rosemary Willis...noticed two persons who looked "conspicuous." One was a man near the curb holding an umbrella, who appeared to be more concerned with opening or closing the umbrella than dropping to the ground like everyone else at the time of the shots.  </q>

Free Louis Witt!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. WITT. Let me go back a minute. As I was moving forward I apparently had this umbrella in front of me for some few steps. Whereas other people I understand saw the President shot and his movements; I did not see this because of this thing in front of me, The next thing I saw after I saw the car coming down the street, down the hill to my left, the car was just about at a position like this [indicating] at this angle here. At this time there was the car stopping, the screeching of tires, the jamming on of brakes, motorcycle patrolman right there beside one of the cars. One car ran upon the President's car and a man jumped off and jumped on the back. These were the scenes that unfolded as I reached the point to where I was seeing things.
Mr. GENZMAN. What did you hear at that time? Did you hear voices?
Mr. WITT. I don't recall any voices at that particular time. After I finally became aware that something had happened, you know, something terrible had happened, I just sat down. I was standing on the retaining wall, and I just sat down, just right straight down, and apparently--I don't know if I had laid the umbrella down or dropped it or what I did. Nevertheless, I think it ended up on the sidewalk and I just sat there. Some of the things that I recall, one of the things I remember seeing while standing, there was a couple, I looked down to the right and there was a man and a woman, and they were covering some children, they were lying down and they were covering the children with their bodies and this may have caused me to sit down or I may have just sat down because I was stunned. Because there for a few minutes or for a few seconds at least I didn't seem to be able to collect my thoughts. Sometime later after the cars moved out, this is when all this activity in the cars stopping and the cars moved out, I recall a man sitting down to my right and he said something like: They done shot them folks. He repeated it two or three times but it was repetitious of him saying the same thing.
Mr. GENZMAN. What was he saying?
Mr. WITT. They done shot them folks--something to this effect.
Mr. GENZMAN. Can you describe this man?
Mr. WITT. I remember him as being a Negro man. I don't know if I ever actually looked at him for any length of time or not.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

September 12

 

Askins?

 

 

September 13

 

vu je Rudel

 

 

September 14

 

Canon — S + V?  
 



October 2

 

Askins — Willoughby- ok.

 

 

 

November 5

 

(Meet with Crichton at

Tech building}

(Walker)

O says Lancelot = go

phone booth

Edited by Leslie Sharp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chris Davidson said:

Mr. WITT. Let me go back a minute. As I was moving forward I apparently had this umbrella in front of me for some few steps. Whereas other people I understand saw the President shot and his movements; I did not see this because of this thing in front of me, The next thing I saw after I saw the car coming down the street, down the hill to my left, the car was just about at a position like this [indicating] at this angle here. At this time there was the car stopping, the screeching of tires, the jamming on of brakes, motorcycle patrolman right there beside one of the cars. One car ran upon the President's car and a man jumped off and jumped on the back. These were the scenes that unfolded as I reached the point to where I was seeing things.
Mr. GENZMAN. What did you hear at that time? Did you hear voices?
Mr. WITT. I don't recall any voices at that particular time. After I finally became aware that something had happened, you know, something terrible had happened, I just sat down. I was standing on the retaining wall, and I just sat down, just right straight down, and apparently--I don't know if I had laid the umbrella down or dropped it or what I did. Nevertheless, I think it ended up on the sidewalk and I just sat there. Some of the things that I recall, one of the things I remember seeing while standing, there was a couple, I looked down to the right and there was a man and a woman, and they were covering some children, they were lying down and they were covering the children with their bodies and this may have caused me to sit down or I may have just sat down because I was stunned. Because there for a few minutes or for a few seconds at least I didn't seem to be able to collect my thoughts. Sometime later after the cars moved out, this is when all this activity in the cars stopping and the cars moved out, I recall a man sitting down to my right and he said something like: They done shot them folks. He repeated it two or three times but it was repetitious of him saying the same thing.
Mr. GENZMAN. What was he saying?
Mr. WITT. They done shot them folks--something to this effect.
Mr. GENZMAN. Can you describe this man?
Mr. WITT. I remember him as being a Negro man. I don't know if I ever actually looked at him for any length of time or not.

 

He then follows up with re-enforcing the previous description(limo stopping) and adds another action to it.

Mr. WITT. No, sir. I--my view of the car during that length of time was blocked by the umbrella being open. And my--the next time I saw the car after I saw it coming down on my left traveling west, the next time I saw the car was when this activity of the car stopping, one car rushing up on another, the motorcycle patrolman stopping, there was this screeching of tires, this sort of thing. One thing I recall there was a movement in the President's car. By this time--I don't recall seeing the President. He must have--I am sure he was down. The only thing I recall was the--there was a sort of a pink movement, and it was--that was Jackie Kennedy, I think, wearing a pink dress or something. This pink thing stood out in my mind, and all of this happened in very rapid order. The--as soon as the one car ran up behind this one, a man jumped off and I think the first car was pulling out about the time he had jumped on the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

He has a corroborating witness, that’s for sure.  Yeah.

Did you once think umbrella man was firing a flechette? Or was that someone else with a high tech military weapon?
of course Leslie’s question ‘why’ did he come forward at that time is a good one. 
in the excerpts posted here the idea that Mr Witt was intending a symbolic act (Chamberlain?) doesn’t come from him. Could someone post a link to the complete testimony? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...