The Education Forum

‘My friend was a secret CIA agent – and I think she was the second JFK shooter’

Robin Finn

1 hour ago, Michael Griffith said:

Well now, that's curious, because I can see a resemblance between the two, even though the pictures were obviously taken many years apart, even though the pictures were taken from different angles and from different distances, and even though one photo is color and the other is B&W.

Obviously, no one can say for certain that these are two photographs of the same woman, but as I look at the jawlines (veer to our left, slightly) and the noses (again, a slight tilt to our left), I agree with Michael - it is not impossible this is the same woman in both. It's a "maybe, maybe not" for me.

However, the part in the hair in the color photo is on her left side (our right) and the b/w photo has a part on her right side (our left), which is odd. Women spend lots of time on their hair, but I don't know any who flipped the part line in their hair from one side to the other.

Why would anyone do that? What's the point?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the book. On the photos, the author discusses those, recognizes they are different women, does not claim they are of the same woman. What the author claims is that Jerrie Cobb the aviator was also a covert CIA operative who had cover persona named first “Catherine Taafe” and then the CIA/Cuba/Mexico City “June Cobb”, which took over true life biographies of the real Catherine Taafe and the real June Cobb as part of CIA cover identities under which Jerrie Cobb operated at times.

The author says Jerrie Cobb told her she, Jerrie, was the pilot of the twin-engine plane seen at the Redbird Airport revving its engine on the runway waiting after the assassination. Jerrie told the author that it was a charter flight in which she flew a Life magazine news team from Miami, then when the assassination happened, they flew back. 

So the author is not speculating that identification but reporting Jerrie’s own claim on that.

Edited by Greg Doudna

31 minutes ago, Greg Doudna said:

I have the book. On the photos, the author discusses those, recognizes they are different women, does not claim they are of the same woman. What the author claims is that Jerrie Cobb the aviator was also a covert CIA operative who had cover persona named first “Catherine Taafe” and then the CIA/Cuba/Mexico City “June Cobb”, which took over true life biographies of the real Catherine Taafe and the real June Cobb as part of CIA cover identities under which Jerrie Cobb operated at times.

The argument for that part of the book is a serious argument and should not be mocked or dismissed prior to reading the actual argument. Author claims a distinctive “2” branded scar reported in news accounts at the time as cut into the arm of the cia-linked “Catherine Taafe” in an assault, she, the author, saw on Jerrie Cobb’s arm. 

On the photos, author claims all who knew the CIA “June Cobb” of the early 1960’s, and cites specifics, when shown photos always identified the photos of Jerrie Cobb, not the published photos of June Cobb, as the “June Cobb” they remembered, including the “June Cobb” of New York City of later years that was known to Albarelli. Author is arguing that the NYC “June Cobb” who Albarelli said also spent a lot of time near Tampa FL where he was and he spent a lot of time with, was actually Jerrie Cobb who lived in Tampa, and was not the real June Cobb. 

The familiar published photos of June Cobb, in other words, author denies are of the CIA “June Cobb” who is actually remembered by those who knew that “June Cobb” as looking like the photos of Jerrie Cobb.

The author says Jerrie Cobb told her she, Jerrie, was the pilot of the twin-engine plane seen at the Redbird Airport revving its engine on the runway waiting after the assassination. Jerrie told the author that it was a charter flight in which she flew a Life magazine news team from Miami, then when the assassination happened, they flew back. 

So the author is not speculating that identification but reporting Jerrie’s own claim on that. Was Jerrie truthful to the author on that? That is what author says Jerrie told her.

Then in my opinion author jumps the rails to the speculation that is being cited to discredit the book. Author believed she had figured out (for reasons given which can be assessed) that Jerrie was the CIA “June Cobb” so famously known in the Oswald/Mexico City/JFK docs with which many here are familiar. 

Author therefore didn’t believe Jerrie left Redbird again as Jerrie said, on Nov 22, but instead speculated Jerrie went to Dealey Plaza and shot JFK with a gun out of her camera as the Babushka Lady. Author’s only claim to evidence for that identification is Babushka Lady is a strange figure in the jfk story and looks a little knock-kneed in the photos from the rear, and author says Jerrie was also knock-kneed in her gait from knowing her. 

For all we know, Jerrie could have falsely told author she was the Redbird pilot Nov 22 to produce a wild goose chase on the part of the author. However Jerrie’s claim also could be true. She flew a lot including to Dallas otherwise. The Babushka Lady speculated identity with Jerrie of author is in my opinion outlandish, but does not bear up or down on the substance of the argument for the Jerrie CIA identity cover names of “Catherine Taafe” and “June Cobb” under which author alleges (with some startling arguments) Jerrie may have been operating at times, in which she had her own true identity as Jerrie the famous aviator and then at times used these covert CIA cover identities, never placed identifiably as in different places at the same time. 

Must read: author’s treatment of the Elena Garro story in Mexico City (chap. 4). A different perspective on that than previously written.

Author alleges Jerrie made millions laundered through her charitable fund set up for indigenous tribes in the  Amazon rain forest of South America. 

Closing question of my own: “June Cobb” of NYC, the one well-known to Albarelli whom he spent by his account hundreds of hours interviewing, the famed femme fatale of Castro, Cuba, and CIA, how is it she could die in NYC with no newspaper notice at the time (that I can find), and no obituary ever? Seems unusual. 

Thanks for that informative summary, Greg. Now I am even more anxious to read the book (in this case, listen to the book). 

I note that in the article Haverstick speculates about one of the Cobbs impersonating the other. 

As with most other books, it is entirely possible that Haverstick is right about some things and wrong about other things. 

Thanks again for the helpful summary. 

Edited by Michael Griffith

10 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Well now, that's curious, because I can see a resemblance between the two, even though the pictures were obviously taken many years apart, even though the pictures were taken from different angles and from different distances, and even though one photo is color and the other is B&W.

The author even acknowledges these are two different people, good lord... Look at the distance between each individual's eyes. C'mon lol

On 11/20/2023 at 5:21 PM, Pete Mellor said:

Yes, Hank had some research on Cobb.  I look forward to what you report on these two versions.

Hi Pete.  This won't give away too much of what Leslie might have to say about June Cobb.  After about sixteen months of interviews, she became the godmother of H. P. Albarelli's grandson.  The interviews were twice a week for over two years.  From Coup In Dallas, pg. 179.

I am halfway through Chapter 2 and am already blown away. This is a serious, credible work of scholarship. The similarities between Jerrie Cobb and June Cobb are astonishing, both in their number and in their nature. The odds that these similarities are all just coincidences are too remote to calculate. Consider:

-- Both came from Ponca City, Oklahoma. They were the same height and weight. Both lived for a time in Norman, Oklahoma. Both were in the same Civil Air Patrol unit. Both were fluent Spanish speakers. Both lived extensively in Latin America. Both left home in their twenties for South America. Both lobbied on behalf of the Indigenous tribes at the Amazon headwaters. Both visited the isolated Andes mountains in the early 1950s, when almost no white people had ever been there. Both advocated for causes related to the coca-leaf-chewing habits of the Andean natives. Both exited the jungle from their expeditions burdened by a lifelong jungle-borne disease.

-- Once in South America, both worked for aviation firms serving identical countries—Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Peru. Both traveled into dark corners of the Amazon jungle, and both got there by flying with a dashing new love who was also a pilot. Both considered their respective affairs to be the love of their lives, and both relationships ended tragically. Neither would find true love again, while both carried the emotional and physical scars for years to come. 

I continue by quoting Haverstick:

In their thirties, both women found themselves in lofty company. Both could count among their friends numerous Latin American leaders, titans of industry, and celebrated artists. Both had connections in the White House who were standing by if they had trouble clearing U.S. customs when reentering the country. Incredibly, the two small-town Oklahoma blonds were circulating with the intellectual, political, and industrial elites who were shaping world history, particularly as it pertained to Latin America. The Astonishing List of Similarities had expanded to encompass not only the arcs of their lives and travel itineraries but also the class of influential power brokers with whom they socialized. (pp. 9-10)

We're still not done with the amazing list of similarities between the two women:

-- Both traveled the same geographic circuit of cities in perpetual motion. Both had indications of wealth but no visible means of support. Both disappeared for extended periods of time during their lives. Both were well connected to the national and international press. Both used pseudonyms with the initials “JC.”

-- Both opposed some of John F. Kennedy’s policies. Both were in Mexico City six weeks before Kennedy was killed. Both intersected with events surrounding Kennedy’s death. Both adopted a reclusive lifestyle during the assassination investigations. 

Folks, Haverstick is onto something, and it is important. I haven't gotten to her section on the photographic evidence yet, but I see that it is extensive. 

As I said, I'm only about halfway through Chapter 2, but I am already very impressed with the book.

I was especially intrigued to read that a CIA officer posing as a DoD agent befriended Haverstick and then told her that her information on Jerrie Cobb was "classified" and tried to intimidate her from completing her movie about Cobb (she did stop working on the movie, but not because of the CIA officer). 

And, importantly, Jerrie Cobb admitted to Haverstick that she was the pilot of the mystery plane at Red Bird Airport on 11/22/63.

Edited by Michael Griffith

On 11/21/2023 at 8:33 AM, Greg Doudna said:

The argument for that part of the book is a serious argument and should not be mocked or dismissed prior to reading the actual argument. Author claims a distinctive “2” branded scar reported in news accounts at the time as cut into the arm of the cia-linked “Catherine Taafe” in an assault, she, the author, saw on Jerrie Cobb’s arm. 

On the photos, author claims all who knew the CIA “June Cobb” of the early 1960’s, and cites specifics, when shown photos always identified the photos of Jerrie Cobb, not the published photos of June Cobb, as the “June Cobb” they remembered, including the “June Cobb” of New York City of later years that was known to Albarelli. Author is arguing that the NYC “June Cobb” who Albarelli said also spent a lot of time near Tampa FL where he was and he spent a lot of time with, was actually Jerrie Cobb who lived in Tampa, and was not the real June Cobb. 

The familiar published photos of June Cobb, in other words, author denies are of the CIA “June Cobb” who is actually remembered by those who knew that “June Cobb” as looking like the photos of Jerrie Cobb.

So the author is not speculating that identification but reporting Jerrie’s own claim on that. Was Jerrie truthful to the author on that? That is what author says Jerrie told her.

Then in my opinion author jumps the rails to the speculation that is being cited to discredit the book. Author believed she had figured out (for reasons given which can be assessed) that Jerrie was the CIA “June Cobb” so famously known in the Oswald/Mexico City/JFK docs with which many here are familiar. 

Author therefore didn’t believe Jerrie left Redbird again as Jerrie said, on Nov 22, but instead speculated Jerrie went to Dealey Plaza and shot JFK with a gun out of her camera as the Babushka Lady. Author’s only claim to evidence for that identification is Babushka Lady is a strange figure in the jfk story and looks a little knock-kneed in the photos from the rear, and author says Jerrie was also knock-kneed in her gait from knowing her. 

For all we know, Jerrie could have falsely told author she was the Redbird pilot Nov 22 to produce a wild goose chase on the part of the author. However Jerrie’s claim also could be true. She flew a lot including to Dallas otherwise. The Babushka Lady speculated identity with Jerrie of author is in my opinion outlandish, but does not bear up or down on the substance of the argument for the Jerrie CIA identity cover names of “Catherine Taafe” and “June Cobb” under which author alleges (with some startling arguments) Jerrie may have been operating at times, in which she had her own true identity as Jerrie the famous aviator and then at times used these covert CIA cover identities, never placed identifiably as in different places at the same time. 

Must read: author’s treatment of the Elena Garro story in Mexico City (chap. 4). A different perspective on that than previously written.

Closing question of my own: “June Cobb” of NYC, the one well-known to Albarelli whom he spent by his account hundreds of hours interviewing, the famed femme fatale of Castro, Cuba, and CIA, how is it she could die in NYC with no newspaper notice at the time (that I can find), and no obituary ever? Seems unusual. 

Do you have a copy of “A Secret Order”? Surely no one is suggesting Hank didn’t know who he was talking to all that time or was oblivious to the true identity of his grandson’s godmother?  If you haven’t, I urge you to review a couple of videos featuring pilot Geraldine Cobb (available on YouTube). It’s unfortunate Mary Haverstick didn’t have a chance to interview Hank to at least ask if his dear friend June had that unusual speech pattern and the heavy Oklahoma country accent. I think I know the answer.   

Before delving into the serious issues raised by the hypotheses presented in Ms. Haverstick’s book, Gregg, I assume you read her excellent research into the strange and convoluted nickel deals post-Castro’s nationalization of Freeport / Nicaro? You might recall that in his 1963 datebook, Pierre Lafitte indicates he was privy to a shipment of nickel in 1963 involving none other than Ilse Skorzeny (in concert with John Wilson-Hudson who is mentioned again in another entry with Ruby).  Haverstick’s assumptions regarding Ilse’s beloved Otto Skorzeny are perplexing as well and will be addressed in a future post. For now, it’s nonetheless noteworthy that her research uncovered the manipulation of nickel — which for obvious reasons draws us not only to the Soviets (I refer you to associate of Wilson-Hudson, Canadian and alleged Soviet spy Burt Sukarov), but to the assassination of Lumumba, the Friends of Katanga Freedom Fighters and Jack Alston Crichton, another name in the records maintained by Pierre Lafitte. 

The possibility that Jerrie Cobb may have also taken cover under the identity of Florida arms dealer Catherine Taaffe (spelled with two Fs) is equally intriguing. Records confirm Taaffe’s association with gun runner Jesse Vickers — another name  identified in the Lafitte datebook.  Vickers crossed paths with among others, John Wilson-Hudson.

As an aside, Jerrie Cobb’s professed faith and subsequent work in the Amazon beg review of SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) covered in-depth in Colby & Dennet’s “Thy Will Be Done.” She has only a cameo appearance, but knowing that Lafitte mentions J.C. King at a critical moment in August 1963, and that H. L. Hunt provided significant funding to Wycliffe Bible Translators, those dots also warrant further consideration.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

9 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Do you have a copy of “A Secret Order”? Surely no one is suggesting Hank didn’t know who he was talking to all that time or was oblivious to the true identity of his grandson’s godmother?  If you haven’t, I urge you to review a couple of videos featuring pilot Geraldine Cobb (available on YouTube). It’s unfortunate Mary Haverstick didn’t have a chance to interview Hank to at least ask if his dear friend June had that unusual speech pattern and the heavy Oklahoma country accent. I think I know the answer.   

Before delving into the serious issues raised by the hypotheses presented in Ms. Haverstick’s book, Gregg, I assume you read her excellent research into the strange and convoluted nickel deals post-Castro’s nationalization of Freeport / Nicaro? You might recall that in his 1963 datebook, Pierre Lafitte indicates he was privy to a shipment of nickel in 1963 involving none other than Ilse Skorzeny (in concert with John Wilson-Hudson who is mentioned again in another entry with Ruby).  Haverstick’s assumptions regarding Ilse’s beloved Otto Skorzeny are perplexing as well and will be addressed in a future post. For now, it’s nonetheless noteworthy that her research uncovered the manipulation of nickel — which for obvious reasons draws us not only to the Soviets but to the assassination of Lumumba, the Katanga Freedom Fighters and Jack Alston Crichton, another name in the records maintained by Pierre Lafitte. 

The possibility that Jerrie Cobb may have also taken cover under the identity of Florida arms dealer Catherine Taaffe (spelled with two Fs) is equally intriguing. Records confirm Taaffe’s association with gun runner Jesse Vickers — another name  identified in the Lafitte datebook.  Vickers crossed paths with among others, John Wilson-Hudson.

As an aside, Jerrie Cobb’s professed faith and subsequent work in the Amazon beg review of SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) covered in-depth in Colby & Dennet’s “Thy Will Be Done.” She has only a cameo appearance, but knowing that Lafitte mentions J.C. King at a critical moment in August 1963, and that H. L. Hunt provided significant funding to Wycliffe Bible Translators, those dots also warrant further consideration.

Nickel?

From the Pugibet datebook: undated, but in the month of July, in the maginalia:  "J'aurais aimé avoir un centime pour chaque nickel que j'avais"

Also, a reference to "J Mr. Emer'ld".  I think that is code for Jack Ruby. Emerald is a code word for Ruby. 

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Nickel?

From the Pugibet datebook: undated, but in the month of July, in the maginalia:  "J'aurais aimé avoir un centime pour chaque nickel que j'avais"

Also, a reference to "J Mr. Emer'ld".  I think that is code for Jack Ruby. Emerald is a code word for Ruby. 

You pounced sooner than I expected.  “Doth protest too much, methinks”

@Michael Griffith I too find it compelling that Mary Haverstick did not set out in pursuit of a woman she thought might be implicated in events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas.

Coincidentally, nor did Hank Albarelli set out in pursuit of who killed JFK when he launched his investigation into the murder of Frank Olson.  He tells the story that when he first realized Lafitte might be the through line  and shared his suspicion with one of the asst. DAs, the DA said (paraphrasing), I was just waitin’ for the Kennedy assassination to rear its head. 

16 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Do you have a copy of “A Secret Order”? Surely no one is suggesting Hank didn’t know who he was talking to all that time or was oblivious to the true identity of his grandson’s godmother?

That's a good question Leslie--what do you think?

Do you know who has Hank's June Cobb manuscript? I would like to ask for access to it to find out if Hank knew.

A whole lot of people in the JFK research community who knew you for the past ten years didn't know your true identity. Not so hard to imagine, if you never tell them.

So it can happen, even to the best of us, to believe someone is one name and they are really secretly some other name. I agree it is unusual and doesn't happen often, but in the world June Cobb operated that kind of thing did happen. I wouldn't hold it against Hank if he didn't know June Cobb's true identity. But maybe his June Cobb manuscript would tell whether he did? Maybe you have knowledge and can speak for what Hank had in his June Cobb manuscript on this?

@Greg DoudnaGreg, as anticipated, you dodge discussion of any overlap of research found in Haverstick's book with Lafitte's personal datebook entries, regardless of the potential for further breakthroughs in the case.  You apparently work to another agenda.

Before you advance misinformation, Hank did not engage with Jerrie Cobb The Pilot thinking she was June Cobb. The suggestion is preposterous.

June was the retired intel employee Hank  befriended and provided with practical assistance and support.

Hank was aware of pilot Jerrie Cobb as evidenced in his reaction to a researcher who phoned to tell him he had "found Cobb." Hank asked with a laugh, "which one?" 

The chapter in "A Secret Order" is about June Cobb, not Jerrie Cobb.  I urge you to read it lest you sow additional confusion.  Hank spells out in detail June's corroboration of her friend's claim that Oswald was in MC in late September and that he was spotted with Thomas Eli Davis.  As unsettling as it is for June's many detractors, Hank also discovered that her account is borne out in Lafitte's datebook.

FYI, Hank's primary works-in-progress were under contract.  I'm curious why you think that you of all people might be entitled to access any of his unpublished work or research? Do you think his estate is oblivious to your veiled attacks on Hank's professionalism and discernment and your unfounded attacks on "Coup"?

In case there is any doubt, and for the public record, the joint-work copyright of "Coup" covers all material meant for the paperback or sequel including certain Cobb records. I'm sure you can appreciate that you are not on the list to.preview those files.

I'm prepared to further pursue the possibility that Mary Haverstick's research and informed speculation might converge with Hank's investigation if you or anyone else is interested. 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

34 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

FYI, Hank's primary works-in-progress were under contract.  I'm curious why you think that you of all people might be entitled to access any of his unpublished work or research? Do you think his estate is oblivious to your veiled attacks on Hank's professionalism and discernment and your unfounded attacks on "Coup"?

In case there is any doubt, and for the public record, the joint-work copyright of "Coup" covers all material meant for the paperback or sequel including certain Cobb records. I'm sure you can appreciate that you are not on the list to.preview those files.

I did not say I feel entitled, I said I wanted to request, in light of four years since Albarelli's death and no sign of any prospect of publication or archiving of that manuscript.

You say you control certain Cobb records which you may publish in the future.

Who controls his June Cobb manuscript in full itself?

Is it a secret? 

When you say his works-in-progress "were" under contract, are they under a publishing contract now? 

I believe his June Cobb work and manuscript could be extremely important, and that it would be a loss if it were to be deep-sixed or suppressed, if not brought to publication then archived at a university with access to legitimate researchers.

Are there plans to publish or archive that manuscript, now that four years have passed?

Is the estate interested in having Hank's full June Cobb manuscript brought to daylight?

Does your copyright assert exclusive control over portions of the June Cobb manuscript which you deem selected for the paperback or sequel to Coup? That sounds like nothing can happen in terms of publication or archive-access arrangements of the full manuscript without your sayso or approval, as that would violate your assertion of copyright over whatever portions you decide are intended for your Coup sequel. Is that correct?

Leslie and Greg - if you are both truth seekers, as I am, you could try trusting a bit. Leslie - I too want to see everything you have on June Cobb. It’s vitally important that Hank’s June story be compared to Haverstick and Jerrie. You have a different vantage point obviously. If you want to hold those cards close to your vest you could empathize with others that want to see those cards. Can we at least all agree that Ms Cobb is integral to the story? You say Hank was aware of Jerrie. She goes unmentioned in Coup, and up until now in your posts. Haverstick has done some remarkable work comparing itineraries. I consider it absolutely tragic that she and Hank never compared notes. You have the power to begin the process of comparing, and my bet is you are already doing so. Do you know whether they ever met or talked? I’ve not finished the book yet so I don’t know if she mentions Hank or his research.