The Education Forum

The Anonymous Phone Call to the Tippits of Connecticut

On 3/16/2024 at 8:30 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

Fred Blair (aka Carroll Blair?)
Louis Weinstock
Edwin Ekdahl, and
Emil and/or Grace Gardos (Grace Gardos was in the 1945 directory at 217 E 86th)

NYPL have these directories on microfilm. I placed an order for them for the years 1946-1949.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, John Kowalski said:

Jim:

Was Robert Oswald's wife Hungarian? if yes add her to your list.

John,

It wasn't Robert Oswald's wife who had Hungarian ancestry, it was John Edward Pic's wife, Margaret Dorothy Fuhrman. For some unexplained reason, Albert Jenner was very interested in her parents. Jenner targeted John Pic's knowledge of their background with his very first questions . . . 

Why?

https://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh11/pdf/WH11_Pic.pdf

1 hour ago, John Kowalski said:

NYPL have these directories on microfilm. I placed an order for them for the years 1946-1949.

Hi Jim:

Sent you a link for ordering the NYC telephone directories. You will have to login and create an account then place your order.

I ordered documents and photographs from the Louis Weinstock collection and will upload them when I receive them.

44 minutes ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

John,

It wasn't Robert Oswald's wife who had Hungarian ancestry, it was John Edward Pic's wife, Margaret Dorothy Fuhrman. For some unexplained reason, Albert Jenner was very interested in her parents. Jenner targeted John Pic's knowledge of their background with his very first questions . . . 

Why?

Jenner had been a member of the Civil Service Commission Loyalty Review Board beginning in 1951.  One explanation for his questioning would be to cover his tail, so that it could not be said that he had not explored the origins of Pic's wife.  It would be basic and obvious due diligence on his part.

See:

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKjennerA.htm

See also:

"Sir: . . . FBI Chief Hoover says, "This whole network has been under intensive investigation since November 1945 . . ." Thereafter in 1948 you state that the New York grand jury did not indict him, nor have they done anything to all his pals, still living and pursuing various vocations. I am astounded to think Mr. Hoover had White and his cohorts under surveillance for three years, believing them to be spies, and still could not get enough competent evidence on them to get a grand jury to say he or they were probably guilty. Mr. Jenner should certainly investigate Mr. Hoover . . . NAT ALLEN Ryegate, Mont."

https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,806751-3,00.html

51 minutes ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

Why?

Paul:

Jenner was very interested in her background even though it should not have been relevant to someone investigating JFK's assassination.

9 minutes ago, John Kowalski said:

Paul:

Jenner was very interested in her background even though it should not have been relevant to someone investigating JFK's assassination.

"should not have been relevant?"  Why not?  Says who?  Evidently by this thread alone, and your contributions to it looking up Hungarians in NYC, there is reason to believe of a Hungarian aspect to the Oswald Project.

17 hours ago, John Kowalski said:

Jim:

Very interesting post. This could be a source for learning more about young Harvey. Have you or John A attempted to find out anything about the DPC? It should be on the list.

Thanks.  I just checked, and DPC was created in 1948.  It was organized at the tail end of the process John A. was describing in his write-up on the Frank Wisner activities.  

If Georgia Bell and her neighbor Otis Carlton are correct, by the summer of 1947 Harvey was living at 101 San Saba in Benbrook, Texas with his caretaker “mom” and attending Benbrook Common School.  Remarkably, John A. researched the Tarrant County land records and discovered that  Marguerite C. Ekdahl had purchased the home at 101 San Saba on July 7, 1947, but she and her family continued living in the upstairs apartment at 1505 8th Ave. in Fort Worth.

101_San_Saba.jpg

This is the earliest direct knowledge we have of Harvey Oswald and suggests an economic connection even back then between the “families” of the two Oswalds.

So …. The evidence indicates that the Russian-speaking LHO came to the U.S. shortly before the creation of the Displaced Person’s Commission, though the organization may have played a role in his subsequent resettlements.

Also….

Thanks for emailing me the NYPL research information.  Since you’ve ordered the microfilm for the Manhattan phone books in question, I’ll hold off on ordering scans from the NYPL. The fee seems reasonable enough, but I’m not sure how many payments would be required to cover my numerous requests. 

15 hours ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

John,

Why?

Paul,

Megathanks for reminding us of that!

Fuhrman.jpg

The Hungarian coincidences in this saga are extraordinary.  In 1952, American-born LEE and his mother moved temporarily into the apartment on 92nd St. in Manhattan that was owned by Mrs. Mary Fuhrman.

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Since you’ve ordered the microfilm for the Manhattan phone books in question, I’ll hold off on ordering scans from the NYPL.

Jim:

I did not order copies of the NYC telephone directory. You can use the link I sent you to login and place your order. Provide them with the names and dates and they will tell you how much it will cost to copy them.

12 hours ago, John Kowalski said:

Bentley's left everything to her cousin Edwin Burdick or his descendants.

https://archive.org/details/bentley-will

Thanks, John.

What’s weird about this Connecticut Yankee’s will is that it was executed and signed by five witnesses “all of whom are residents of the Parish of St. Landry, State of Louisiana….”  

This Vassar College and Columbia University educated woman spent practically her entire life in New England and nearby.  The longest exception I see is her brief stay in Italy, but I may well be missing something.  

Edwin Burdick, the sole beneficiary of her will, lived at “8=buttonball (sic) Lane, Glastonbury, Connecticut. “ 

What brought her to Louisiana, birthplace of Classic Oswald®, to execute this will?

Also, I obviously misread what you wrote about the Manhattan phone books.  I’ll find out the total cost for researching our queries.  Thanks again for the leads.

1 hour ago, Jim Hargrove said:

What brought [Elizabeth Bentley] to Louisiana, birthplace of Classic Oswald®, to execute this will?

According to:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68358663/elizabeth-turrill-bentley

Bentley taught at various schools in Louisiana and Connecticut "later in life."

While I was looking around, I found this compilation of communications between Bentley and the FBI:

https://vault.fbi.gov/rosenberg-case/elizabeth-bentley/elizabeth-t.-bentley-part-02-of-1

In one of the messages Bentley sent to headquarters, she commented that the INS wanted her to do some work for them when she "return[ed] to New Orleans." Which implies that that was her residence at the time. (I wish I would have made a note of the date.)

BTW, Bentley wrote an autobiography which can be bought in Kindle format for $3.

https://www.amazon.com/Out-Bondage-Story-Elizabeth-Bentley/dp/1258668866

3 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

In one of the messages Bentley sent to headquarters, she commented that the INS wanted her to do some work for them when she "return[ed] to New Orleans." Which implies that that was her residence at the time. (I wish I would have made a note of the date.)

I found the message. It is dated May 11, 1953. She said she didn't have time to work for the INS, given her teaching position there in New Orleans.

So Bentley was living in New Orleans three years prior to writing her will, which she did in New Orleans. Or near there.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

Just got back from an appointment and received Geo's note above.   My first question involves whether "Gardosh" is another version of "Gardos?"  Anyone know?

The LETTER "S" in HUNGARIAN IS pronounced SH.

I live in BudapeSHT.  So it is just the HUNGARIAN version of the name GARDOS..it sounds GARDOSH....that is why it is written with an SH in the TIPPIT CALL transcript by the way.