The Education Forum

Give Peace A Chance

Ron Bulman

14 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Give peace a chance, man!  :angel

Sandy,

I think Mark Ulrik would prefer that we discuss John Lennon, the American military industrial complex, and Lennon's low opinion of metaphysics, at the Water Cooler.

6 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Sandy,

I think Mark Ulrik would prefer that we discuss John Lennon, the American military industrial complex, and Lennon's low opinion of metaphysics, at the Water Cooler.

Well sure. And maybe religion too.

But all I am saying, is give peace a chance.  :peace

(Which I can keep saying since I'm no longer a moderator.)

5 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Well sure. And maybe religion too.

But all I am saying, is give peace a chance.  :peace

(Which I can keep saying since I'm no longer a moderator.)

I think Ron's "Give Peace a Chance" thread originated in response to our discussions about James DiEugenio's, "JFK and the Neocons" essays-- and the grim trajectory of modern U.S. militarism.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Long as I'm on a musical roll from long ago, I would not give you false hope.  A song I never knew until tonight Paul Simon wrote about his first personal encounter with death, that of his dog being run over.  Which I can personally relate to recently.  How he got this out of that I'm not sure.

17 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Sandy,

We could also redefine the purpose of this forum. I mean, why should everything be about the JFKA when there are so many other interesting topics to discuss?

2 hours ago, Mark Ulrik said:

We could also redefine the purpose of this forum. I mean, why should everything be about the JFKA when there are so many other interesting topics to discuss?

Mark,

The Education Forum has a wide array of boards on a variety of subjects.

The most popular EF board is the JFKA board, but we've also had informative discussions about current events at the Political Discussions and Water Cooler boards.

10 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Mark,

The Education Forum has a wide array of boards on a variety of subjects.

The most popular EF board is the JFKA board, but we've also had informative discussions about current events at the Political Discussions and Water Cooler boards.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. What you call "the JFKA board" is what I referred to as "this forum." Please feel free to read my post again with that in mind.

2 hours ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Thank you, Captain Obvious. What you call "the JFKA board" is what I referred to as "this forum." Please feel free to read my post again with that in mind.

Well, Captain Marvel, perhaps you're just sore that we don't have a "Vintage Comics" board.

But, no, the JFKA board is one of many boards on "the forum."

On 7/17/2024 at 11:17 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Paul Simon wrote about his first personal encounter with death, that of his dog being run over.  How he got [Mother and Child Reunion] out of that I'm not sure.

Ron,

I like that song and was curious how he got "it out of that," as you put it. So I did a little research.

According to Wikipedia, when Paul Simon 's dog died he wondered how he would react if his wife died. Also from Wikipedia, Simon liked the phrase "mother and child reunion" which he got from a Chinese dish made with chicken and egg. (Mother/child, chicken/egg... get it?)

"Mother and child reunion" represents the two reuniting once both have died, just as is the case with the Chinese dish. (Both the chicken and the egg are dead.)

mother and child reunion (metaphor) ---> afterlife reunion (literal meaning)

Replacing the metaphor with literal meaning in the lyrics, we get:

No, I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reunion afterlife reunion
Is only a motion away

Simon doesn't want to give himself false hope that he will reunite with his wife in the afterlife (because that is just something some people believe), but it could happen and it's only "a motion" (an accident, stroke, etc.) away.

If you read the full lyrics after that single exchange of words, it all makes sense.

Makes me want to write to Simon and let him know what his song means.  ;)

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Ron has synchronicity.  Allowing for the 5 hours time difference from U.K. & Texas, when his thread was posted I was just completing my presentation on 'The Assassination of John Lennon' to an audience of over two hundred.

Hi Cam - Gail here.
As you know I am also a member of Todmorden and was telling the person who organises their monthly speakers about the excellent talk we had last Tuesday on the ' Assassination of John Lennon'.
Would it possible for you to send me the name and contact details of the person who gave the talk - I remember his first name was Pete- so I can pass them on to  Todmorden to see if Pete would be willing to give a talk to this group. 
Many thanks- no worries if you can't re confidentially. 

Hi Gail, the speaker was Pete Mellor who is one of our committee members, I've copied him in as I think he likes giving talks to other groups. Did you see the one he did about the assassination of JFK? Which was also very good. 
Feel free to contact Pete