The Education Forum

2024 Democratic Presidential Nominee

Addendum:  Pamela, you also avoided commenting on the Minnesota Reformer's comments about Tim Walz's legislative efforts on behalf of the homeless, while you blamed Tim Walz for homelessness in Minneapolis.*

Can you think of anything Republicans in the U.S. have ever done about the problem of homelessness-- other than persecuting these impoverished people? 

* Housing 

Minnesota lawmakers increased the state’s spending on housing about ninefold with a $1 billion spending package — paid for with part of the $17.5 billion surplus in 2023 — to increase affordable housing, prevent homelessness, expand homeownership opportunities and provide rental assistance to thousands of households.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers aimed to increase housing construction by overriding local zoning laws that restrict development and economic inclusion. Most of those proposals failed to get enough support, however, although Walz did sign a bill ending an environmental lawsuit against Minneapolis over its pro-density 2040 plan.

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Harris/Walz critics around here are simply refusing to engage in intellectually honest discussions of the facts.

23 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

Why are the rights of those housed in this neighborhood being abrogated in favor of those who do not want to go into the shelter system?

Because civilized people choose to help those who are least among us. And this includes those who are homeless... the poor and the mentally ill.

19 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Because civilized people choose to help those who are least among us. And this includes those who are homeless... the poor and the mentally ill.

"Are there no prisons?  Are there no work houses?"

--Ebeneezer Scrooge

3 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I disagree. There are shelters and resources available to them, but they prefer to remain unhoused so that they can continue drug use and other things the shelters would not allow...

W,

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

28 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

W,

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

Pamela,

I was referring to facts, not opinions-- e.g., the facts about Walz's policy record.

Any thoughts about solutions for the impoverished homeless in America?

As for the people sleeping under bridges, it's complicated.

I've worked with them.  Some shun human contact as a result of paranoia and PTSD.

Most lack the executive functions and resources to house themselves.

An AJP study found that a high percentage of chronically homeless adults grew up in foster homes as children.

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

I disagree. There are shelters and resources available to them, but they prefer to remain unhoused so that they can continue drug use and other things the shelters would not allow...

Drug users are also the least among us that civilized people choose to help. In fact, they aren't a whole lot different from mentally ill people.

23 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

And while Mango Mussolini failed it, Vice President Harris did not.

GXzLANfXIAAqk36?format=jpg&name=small

Criticising Trump for not being a kumbaya nitwit is grasping at straws.

“For example, in discussing the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, U.S. President Barack Obama commented that the substantive disagreements between the parties "can't be reduced to somehow a matter of let's all hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya

1 hour ago, John Cotter said:

Criticising Trump for not being a kumbaya nitwit is grasping at straws.

True, John.  I can't picture a white supremacist nitwit like Trump singing kumbaya.  

Trump's problem lately is finding any decent songs that respected artists haven't barred him from playing at his fascist MAGA rallies.

He's almost reduced to playing crap by Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, and the Horst Wessel Song.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxzTzW-JYvK9k5sqikWn2

Edited by W. Niederhut