The Education Forum

Oswald's Minox camera

My God, can someone really be that misinformed about this at this late date?

That is just mind boggling.

The truth about this has been out there in the documents and the property lists for well over a decade.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

James,

As I showed last year, Carol Hewett is notoriously imprecise in her reporting.  She makes dozens of errors due to sloppy research.

I'm sure she's a competent lawyer, but clearly her heart was never involved in JFK Research, and she dropped out long ago.

So, it's useless to refer to her "article."

There was ALLEGEDLY a Minox camera found by the Dallas Police.   Where?   At Oswald's rooming house, or in the Paine garage?

Get the facts straight.

Paul, I'm having a hard time figuring out where you're going with your statement.  Josephs just posted the DPD inventory list and it clearly shows there was a Minox cam. Maybe you don't agree with Hewitt's writings, but the doc proves it was there.

Also, FWIW, here's an interesting link about that cam from back then. Sounds like the government was restricting its sale back then because it was after all used as a spy cam.

http://www.pimall.com/nais/pivintage/minox.html

363-375.thumb.GIF.767179a555446894c3853f

4 hours ago, Michael Walton said:

Paul, I'm having a hard time figuring out where you're going with your statement.  Josephs just posted the DPD inventory list and it clearly shows there was a Minox cam. Maybe you don't agree with Hewitt's writings, but the doc proves it was there.

Also, FWIW, here's an interesting link about that cam from back then. Sounds like the government was restricting its sale back then because it was after all used as a spy cam.

http://www.pimall.com/nais/pivintage/minox.html

Michael,

I do believe that a Minox camera was found inside Ruth Paine's garage.   That's not the question.  The question is whether this camera belonged to the Oswald family or to the Paine family.

Many items belonging to the Paine family were also confiscated in the search.  For example, "five or six metal file BOXES" filled with papers written in Russian, from Ruth Paine's high school and college homework, along with Russian Folk Song records.

The Minox camera was a luxury item -- but Michael Paine was very wealthy.   In 2017 dollars, Michael would be a millionaire today.  It was his.

This is the obvious reason that it fell off of the Oswald list -- it didn't belong to the Oswald family. 

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Thanks Mike.

I have Paul on ignore and am enjoying the forum a lot more.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks Mike.

I have Paul on ignore and am enjoying the forum a lot more.

Jim,

That's fine, but it sure doesn't answer the objection that the Minox camera was found inside Ruth Paine's garage, and thus the likelihood that it belonged to the Paine family, like many other items on that Police confiscation list.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

14 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Jim,

That's fine, but it sure doesn't answer the objection that the Minox camera was found inside Ruth Paine's garage, and thus the likelihood that it belonged to the Paine family, like many other items on that Police confiscation list.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul,

why would Michael Paine take photos of military installations?

5 hours ago, Mathias Baumann said:

Paul,

why would Michael Paine take photos of military installations?

To help frame Oswald of course....

For a lowly day worker making the bare minimum... his assortment of camera equipment is quite impressive...

Where did he do his developing work?   I don't remember ever reading about a "dark room" set-up for Ozzie....

Just curious if anyone knows

"Foreign coins in a Kodak film bag with address Corporal Michael Paine."  

Exactly who owned what among those police confiscated Paine garage items still seems a somewhat unanswered question.

Will go back and review Michael Paine's Warren Commission testimony to see if he was asked about the items removed from the Garage including the Minox camera.

Edited by Joe Bauer

A couple hundred items were taken to DC...

Over 450 are returned....  many not taken from DPD but added in after - they do not have the initials of the DPD taking the photos.

The film of the evidence was also mostly ruined and blamed on the DPD...

https://statick2k-5f2f.kxcdn.com/images/pdf/JosephsBYP.pdf  - I get in pretty deep with what happened in that garage and at the Paine's...

They repeatedly refer to this box in the residence which had a camera and other photographic equipment... claimed to be the Paine's.

No mention is ever made of Minox other than in Hill's statement I posted earlier...

Edited by David Josephs

Michael Paine says in his Warren Commission testimony that "they ( Dallas police ) removed Ruth's files and a drawer full of cameras most belonging to me."

Even if Michael Paine owned that Minox camera and Minox light meter, is that a kind of camera a person interested in common average family photographic activity would need?

Paine mentions having camping gear in the garage as well.  One assumes that he did go camping with this stuff. That might explain the binoculars, pedometer, compass and even telescope. Things that people who camp and hike would use. Even the box or bag of medicines like Lanacane and sting or scrape medicines.

The Commission hardly goes into asking about anything taken out of the Paine's garage except for the Oswald rifle.

You would think someone with the FBI or in the Commission working staff would have found the rather rare and specific use Minox camera find worth investigating no matter whether Michael Paine owned it or Oswald.  But not one mention of or about it was ever presented to Michael Paine by the WC.

20 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Michael Paine says in his Warren Commission testimony that "they ( Dallas police ) removed Ruth's files and a drawer full of cameras most belonging to me."

Even if Michael Paine owned that Minox camera and Minox light meter, is that a kind of camera a person interested in common average family photographic activity would need?  ...

Joe,

I think you're forgetting that Michael Paine was a Corporal in the US military. 

The thing to do would be to date those photographs, and not presume that they were recent -- or taken on a family camping trip.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

2 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

I think you're forgetting that Michael Paine was a Corporal in the US military

So Minox cameras are standard issue for Corporals - are they?

Especially the ones with serial numbers NOT to be sold to the public...

A model "III" was produced from 1951 thru 1953 with serial numbers 31275 thru 58499.  (p169 H&L)

5a1c620e867a2_57-23MinoxCamera.thumb.jpg.971e79f4bd9bc75d3667912101e07209.jpg

The Minox camera is so clearly listed on the inventory sheet It seems very hard to say it wasn't actually found and listed.

And what became of the Minox camera?  Was it just another item "conveniently missing" later on?

Has anyone ever asked Michael Paine if it was his camera all along? And if so, where did he get it and what did he use it for as it wasn't a camera one would normally use for normal everyday picture taking.

Mr. Paine is still alive...correct?

The second Minox camera was created after Oswald's  was made to disappear.

I mean both John Armstrong and Carol Hewett went over this years ago.

It is in his book and a couple of lectures he did and Carol's milestone essay is in the book The Assassinations.

Hoover was very troubled by the fact that the DPD had confiscated Oswald's MInox camera. So he did three things to attempt to neutralize the problem.  

1. He changed the camera into a light meter

2.  He altered the original property list to deep six it

3.  He told the local FBI to get together with Ruth Paine to help solve the problem.  Which they did. They created a second Minox and deep sixed the first one.  This is some of the strongest evidence of an FBI cover up and the Paines' participation in it.  Because it is so well documented.

Edited by James DiEugenio