The Education Forum

John Newman on the JFK assassination coverup

John posted this on Facebook today. 

In Volume III (“Into the Storm”) I deconstructed CIA officer Samuel Halpern’s four-decades long campaign to convince the world that Attorney General Robert Kennedy ran a super-secret operation (unknown to Harvey and the rest of the CIA leadership) to use the Mafia to murder Fidel Castro—and that RFK used another CIA officer, Charles Ford, as his liaison to the mob to achieve that nefarious objective. Halpern’s RFK-Mafia myth has played a significant role in the continuing use of the old canard that Castro (with a KGB assist) was responsible for the Kennedy assassination. That canard lies at the heart at the successful coverup of the murder of JFK. For these reasons, Chapter Seven of Volume III opens with an essay addressing the strategy and tactics of the coverup. I have accepted a request to share that short essay with my FB friends:

THE JFK ASSASSINATION—A TAXONOMY OF THE COVERUP

The coverup of the president’s murder was carefully prepared well before the event itself. In the days immediately following the shooting in Dealey Plaza, both overt and covert components of the coverup were put into play. Overt is what the public sees; covert is what people with appropriate security clearances see. The overt component created a calming public spectacle by framing Oswald as a crazy lone nut with communist sympathies but no direct connection to a larger conspiracy. The covert component created a threatening top-secret crisis by framing Oswald as a witting agent of an international communist conspiracy.  

The overt component was a messy but straight-forward public exhibition of fabricated evidence in Dealey Plaza. The covert component was an intricate secret “need-to-know” exhibition of fabricated evidence in Oswald’s top-secret government files. The fabricated top-secret evidence was weaponized to create a frightening impression of an impending crisis: The U.S. was facing a possible nuclear war with the USSR because the FBI and CIA had failed to connect the dots in their secret files on Oswald. In this manner, our national security institutions were incentivized to cooperate in the unfolding coverup.  

The symbiotic relationship of these false conspiracies in the overt and covert components of the coverup was an ingenious fit. The calming effect of the lone nut non-conspiratorial overt scenario—itself part of the true conspiracy—was the antidote for the false conspiratorial crisis scenario unfolding inside of the government. The key to the long-term success of the coverup was the continuing survival of the covert component of the plan. As long as the covert communist conspiratorial scenario remained viable, the feasibility of the overt lone nut (apparently) non-conspiratorial component became less important over time.  

The importance of the role that these discrete conspiracies played in the hierarchy of false conspiracies cannot be overemphasized. In the long run, it didn’t matter how many holes were poked in the Dealey Plaza scenario. The coverup of the true conspiracy—the Wizard of Oz cabal behind the curtain—was dependent on a continuing staunch defense of the covertly engineered false conspiracy: especially the RFK-Mafia myth. The permanence of that covert false conspiracy permitted the dismissal of the less important fabricated evidence in Dealey Plaza as a benign conspiracy to save America.  

How that plan was accomplished is the subject of this chapter and Chapters Nine, Ten, and Fifteen. In a nutshell, this was the plan: An international communist conspiracy to assassinate President Kennedy was the result of the Kennedy brothers’ collusion in a plan to assassinate Fidel Castro. The key element in the plan was this ominous false scenario: Robert Kennedy got his brother killed and almost started World War III. A secret RFK-Mafia plot to assassinate Castro was turned around by Fidel and—with an assist by the KGB—used to assassinate President Kennedy instead.  

The alleged involvement of the Kennedy brothers’ collusion in Castro assassination plotting is the indispensable and inseparable foundation for the false international communist conspiracy scenario. To prevent the deaths of forty million Americans in a thermonuclear war, the apparent Castro-Kremlin role in the Kennedy assassination had to be suppressed by Chief Justice Earl Warren at the secret level. Today, this permits the CIA to characterize that suppression by the Warren Commission as a benign but necessary conspiracy to save us all.  

Therefore, as these complicated components of the hierarchy of false conspiracies evolved over the last fifty years, it is not at all surprising that the Kennedy brothers’ alleged participation in Castro assassination plotting has become even more important than the issue of whether the manufactured evidence in Dealey Plaza points to a conspiracy.  

So, in recent years, a peculiar new paradigm of benign conspiracy has emerged. That paradigm goes something like this: If the Kennedy assassination was a conspiracy, then the Kennedy brothers were themselves to blame. And so, today, many mainstream observers, researchers, and authors have become inescapably attracted to the view that a Kennedy involvement in Castro assassination plots is the reason that President Kennedy was assassinated.  

However, the Kennedy collusion subterfuge brought an element of risk with it. Baking Kennedy collusion into Castro assassination plotting left this otherwise cunning coverup with an Achilles heel: The demonstrably false RFK narrative had to be left in the open. Take it away and the role of both brothers vanishes with it, the nakedness of the emperor is exposed, and the light of truth illuminates one of the worst disasters ever to befall the American republic.

Edited by Anthony Thorne

Your post has made me consider that there may have been layers of cover-up.  Immediately after the assassination, in NYC anyhow, it seemed that LHO as a Commie was the big thing.  One could not disagree with the WCR when it was published, or you were a Commie.  You could not go to meetings of dissenters without preparing to be logged as a Commie by the infiltrators and possibly tracked.  It was the 'accepted' position at that time that anyone who disagreed with the very respected men of the WC fell into the same category as LHO -- untrustworthy malcontents, etc.  This did not change until Mark Lane's Rush to Judgment was published.  But then, other levels appeared -- one of them being the Mafia involvement, another being RFK and Castro.  

Edited by Pamela Brown

It seems apparent that another fatal flaw (literally fatal in some cases) with the "covert" aspect of the cover up was that, over time, many "insiders" must have learned that Oswald had, in fact, been working for U.S. intelligence, and was not a lone assassin. Is that, perhaps, why C.D. Jackson died in September of 1964?

As I recall, the Warren Commissioners, themselves, learned as early as January of 1964 that Oswald had been an FBI informant, rather than a KGB, pro-Castro asset.

11 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

It seems apparent that another fatal flaw (literally fatal in some cases) with the "covert" aspect of the cover up was that, over time, many "insiders" must have learned that Oswald had, in fact, been working for U.S. intelligence, and was not a lone assassin. Is that, perhaps, why C.D. Jackson died in September of 1964?

As I recall, the Warren Commissioners, themselves, learned as early as January of 1964 that Oswald had been an FBI informant, rather than a KGB, pro-Castro asset.

I don't happen to think LHO was an FBI informant, but do agree that there was a lot of intelligence interest in him.

Oswald was an FBI informant. The FBI admitted he spoke to them in their

office around Nov. 12 (at which time he was variously reported

as making a threat or leaving the note for Agent James Hosty; but the FBI

is unreliable, and the note, if it existed, was destroyed on Nov. 24, later

in the day Oswald was killed). The Dallas Morning News on the morning he

died (an issue that hit the streets before that shooting) said he had

met with the FBI on Nov. 16. Former Dallas DA Henry Wade told me Oswald had

met with Hosty a day before the assassination. I questioned Wade on that,

and he said, ""Within a day or two, I don't know exactly." I believe the evidence (there are other indications as well) indicates Oswald

was monitoring the plot and did not know he was being set up as the patsy.

Edited by Joseph McBride

I always thought that the date of November 16th was really something.

That was only a few days before D Day.

Plus Wade said he met with Hosty about 48 hours before.

BTW Joe, don't you also have a later date for the  whole LHO leaving the note at FBI HQ also or is that the late date for him leaving the note?

That Nov. 16 meeting between Oswald and the FBI was largely ignored until I dug

it out of the Dallas Morning News, where it was hiding in plain sight. I am surprised more

notice has not been given to Wade's revelation. It is quite

startling. It jibes with what Hosty reportedly told the DPD's Jack Revill, which

caused such an uproar, and Wade is a good corroborating source for this. Wade (a former FBI agent himself)

was evasive to some extent in my interview with him but surprisingly revealing on certain questions. Differing

dates have been given for the delivery of the note that Oswald reportedly left at the FBI office (the note that was destroyed on Nov. 24). I would

have to check further, but I think Nov. 6 is the earliest date, and around Nov. 12 is the latest.

Edited by Joseph McBride

21 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Oswald was an FBI informant. The FBI admitted he spoke to them in their

office around Nov. 12 (at which time he was variously reported

as making a threat or leaving the note for Agent James Hosty; but the FBI

is unreliable, and the note, if it existed, was destroyed on Nov. 24, later

in the day Oswald was killed). The Dallas Morning News on the morning he

died (an issue that hit the streets before that shooting) said he had

met with the FBI on Nov. 16. Former Dallas DA Henry Wade told me Oswald had

met with Hosty a day before the assassination. I questioned Wade on that,

and he said, ""Within a day or two, I don't know exactly." I believe the evidence (there are other indications as well) indicates Oswald

was monitoring the plot and did not know he was being set up as the patsy.

LHO did not have to be an FBI informant to leave a note for Hosty.

What evidence did DA Wade have that Hosty met LHO prior to his arrest?  That is not what Hosty said.

Pamela Brown, do you believe the report that Oswald ( after he was arrested in NO on August 9th, 1963 after his fight with Carlos Bringuier ) asked to speak from someone from the FBI before he left the police station?

On August 9, 1963, Oswald was spotted by Celso Hernandez (a friend of Bringuier) handing out pro-Castro Fair Play for Cuba leaflets at the intersection of Canal Street and St. Charles. Hernandez told Bringuier of Oswald's leafleting and the two of them, along with another anti-Castro militant, Miguel Cruz, decided to confront Oswald over his duplicity. As the Cubans accosted Oswald, a crowd began to gather. Bringuier attempted to incite the crowd with his story that Oswald had tried to join his anti-Castro movement and that Oswald was actually a communist and supporter of Castro.[5][7][8] Hernandez grabbed Oswald's leaflets and a fight broke out. Oswald and the three Cubans were arrested for disturbing the peace.[5][9][10] After the arrest, Bringuier and his Cuban friends were able to post bail, whereas Oswald's bond was posted by supporters of the mob.[2] Oswald was found guilty, fined $10, and released.[11] Before leaving the police station, Oswald asked to speak with an FBI agent. Agent John Quigley arrived and spent over an hour talking to Oswald.[8][9][12]

Oswald just wanted to shoot the breeze with someone from the NO FBI office?

Quigley's WARREN COMMISSION testimony about this meeting with Oswald is ambiguous imo.
Mr. STERN. Mr. Quigley, will you look, please, at Commission Exhibit No. for identification, at the fourth page from the end of that exhibit? Can you identify that page for us? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. Yes; I can. This is an affidavit that was prepared at the FBI office, Dallas, Tex., on February 17, 1964, which bears my signature as well as the signature of Miss Matty Havens, the notary public. 
Mr. STERN. What was the occasion for your making this affidavit, Mr. Quigley? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. I was instructed to proceed to our Dallas office to prepare such a document. This document relates to informant material. This is the general context of it. Did you care for me to read the document? 
Mr. STERN. No; we have it. Does informant mean to you only a person who gives information in return for money or some other valuable consideration, or does it have a broader meaning as far as you are concerned? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. It would have a broader meaning as far as I was concerned. 
Mr. STERN. What would that mean when you used the word in this affidavit? What did you mean by "informant"? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. One who furnishes information. 
Mr. STERN. For whatever reason? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. Whatever may be the reason; yes. 
Mr. STERN. And you did not, according to your affidavit, ask Mr. Oswald---- 
Mr. QUIGLEY. I did not ask or suggest that Mr. Oswald become an informant of the FBI nor did I offer him any money or any other inducements to become an informant. 
Mr. STERN. Did you say anything to him at all about getting in touch with you or the FBI again about any matter? 
Mr. QUIGLEY. I did not. 
The CHAIRMAN. Mr. Quigley, if you will, we will recall you if a document comes just for your identification. It will only take a few moments, I am sure. Thank you very much for your coming and helping us. 
Mr. QUIGLEY. Thank you very much, sir.

Edited by Joe Bauer

From my book INTO THE NIGHTMARE:

THE WADE REVELATION

The FBI’s jeopardy over its relationship with Oswald could have been even worse if Henry Wade had told the media in 1963 what he told me three decades later. The former Dallas County district attorney revealed a piece of information that, if true, would be an indication of an deeper relationship between Oswald and the FBI than has ever been acknowledged. A former FBI agent himself, Wade told me in 1993 that Oswald may have given information to the FBI only a day or two before the assassination.

“We weren’t getting much -- full cooperation from some of the federal authorities,” Wade said. “You know Jack Revill said when he walked into the jail up there, an agent of the FBI said, ‘We know Oswald well. I talked with him yesterday.’ Or something similar to that. And then it got into a big fuss with the FBI and the Dallas police, [over] who was telling the truth. Hosty’s the agent.” I asked Wade to clarify if Hosty indeed said he talked with Oswald the day before the assassination, and the former DA replied, “Within a day or two, I don’t know exactly.” Wade then recounted the story about Oswald going to the FBI office to tell them to leave his wife alone. Wade seemed uncertain whether or not Oswald had left a note or how that story came out; Wade said, “I don’t know who said he went there. The only one I could think of was his wife.” Whether or not Wade was mixing up the timeline of Oswald’s visit to the FBI office with a subsequent encounter with the FBI was unclear.

But a report from a well-placed source such as Henry Wade about possible contact between Oswald and the FBI a day or two before the assassination would (if accurate) seriously contradict even the belated official version, revealed twelve years after the assassination, of the latest date on which Oswald had contact with the FBI (November 12, the approximate date Hosty said Oswald left the note) as well as the virtually forgotten newspaper report of the Bureau’s interview with Oswald on November 16. Wade’s revelation, especially when added to those other reports, would make it even more likely that Oswald had an informant relationship with the FBI, and would make the destruction of the note (with its contents that remain uncertain) a matter of even more critical importance to maintaining the coverup.

Of course, it is possible that in our interview, the seventy-eight-year-old Wade, who had retired as DA in 1987 but was still practicing law, misremembered the date of Oswald’s last contact with the FBI, placing it closer to the time of the assassination than earlier reported. Nevertheless, Wade still appeared sharp-witted, and he seemed emphatic about the close proximity of Oswald’s contact with the FBI and the assassination, although uncertain whether the contact came on November 20 or 21. It is also conceivable that Wade might have been consciously or subconsciously exaggerating the proximity of the acknowledged and unacknowledged contact(s) with Oswald in order to spite the FBI. This could have been a further sign of the resentment felt by the Dallas law enforcement community over its fraught relationship with the FBI. . . . 

Fascinating stuff from all in this thread.

Also from John on Facebook - 

[In response to a question from Jack Kaninberg about Angleton's role] - Given the dam that broke at the end of Volume III (Chapters 14-15) all bets are off on where things ultimately lead. But let me add here that, at this point, I see no reason to change my view on the role Angleton played in the coverup.

I just posted this on Ted Rubinstein's thread:

Lansdale knew exactly what Veciana was up to--sinking Soviet ships to push JFK into a war. And Lansdale hid what Veciana was up to from the CIA and everyone else except who he (Lansdale) was really working for--General Lemnitzer, JCS Chairman. See Chapter Fourteen in Into the Storm.

It's also on twitter--on which Vol III has been going viral for the last 48 hours. Several threads going on there at the same time. If you are on twitter check it out. Basically, the Veciana story is breaking now. We are still awaiting the second Veciana installment on WHOWHATWHY.

[[The funny thing is that 90% of what I used on Veciana in Into the Storm has been available for twenty-five years. Veciana certainly did NOT work for the CIA in 1963; not in 1962 either, nor in 1964, 1965, and 1966. He worked exclusively with the Army. In fact, and his activity with the Army before and during the 1962 Missile Crisis was under the prevue of General Lansdale. I deal with these matters in great detail in Chapters Fourteen and Fifteen in Into the Storm. When Veciana got out of jail in February 1974 and told Gaeton the 1963 "Bishop"-Oswald story, he, Veciana, was desperate to concoct a false story that he was a "CIA agent" at that time and get Castro to back it up! To achieve this, Veciana arranged a caper through his best friend, Felix Zabala, whose sister was married to the Cuban interior minister. All of this and much more is fully documented in Into the Storm. Veciana had a pretty good idea about how we (the JFK researchers) would fall for this caper--hook, line and sinker.]]

[In response to a question as to who shot Veciana} - Good question. One that needs a closer look BEFORE we finish up the 1963 business--Because it all started at the end--when Veciana got out of jail in February 1973 and talked to Fonzi a couple weeks later. Those weeks and the hit on AV you mention are pregnant with implications for how we understand all of the changes in Veciana's story over the past 40 years.

[In response to a link provided by David Boylan, with the note 'I'm not sure what is going on in this, it was an NSA intercept. John, can you help us out']

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/NARA-Nov9-2017/144-10001-10172.pdf

Interesting. A month after the Missile Crisis. NSA intercept of someone who wants Veciana dead. I'll have to look at this for Volume IV. Thank you.

Lansdale knew exactly what Veciana was up to--sinking Soviet ships to push JFK into a war. Lansdale hid what Veciana was up to from the CIA and everyone else except who he (Lansdale) was really working for--General Lemnitzer, JCS Chairman. See Chapter Fourteen in Into the Storm. Once Dulles was fired in December 1961, Lansdale cast his lot with the Joint Chiefs, headed by Lemnitzer. Dulles was no longer around to protect Lansdale; Lansdale refused to let the CIA know how the Veciana was working with the Army and Navy to push JFK and RFK into war.

In Chapter Fourteen of Into the Storm it is clear that Lansdale was the stalking horse for Lemnitzer's Operation Northwoods. Lemnitzer chose Lansdale for this role because JFK and RFK had chosen Lansdale as the Mongoose Operations Chief. As the Missile Crisis approached, JFK fired Lemnitzer on 1 October 1962; a few weeks earlier, JFK and RFK kneecapped Lansdale because they discovered he was in cohoots with Lemnitzer. Lansdale would retire in 1963 and then head to Dallas. In Chapter Fourteen of Into the Storm, I show the documents proving that Lansdale's 28 Janaury 62 proposed Mongoose actions were exactly what Lemnitzer would put in front of JFK on 13 March--Operation Northwoods.

Edited by Anthony Thorne

On 2/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, Pamela Brown said:

I don't happen to think LHO was an FBI informant, but do agree that there was a lot of intelligence interest in him.

I probably know less about this stuff than anyone on the forum, but I do recall reading about a 1978 HSCA file that was declassified in October of 2017 regarding a Cuban American, Orest Pena, who owned a bar n New Orleans in 1963.

Pena testified to the HSCA that he had observed Oswald meeting with an FBI agent in his bar-- the same FBI agent that Pena, himself, reported to. I can't remember the FBI agent's name, but I think it was De Brueys (?)

Its not just Pena, its also William Walter from the Garrison inquiry.

And its also the info from McBride above. 

Joe Bauer said:

"Pamela Brown, do you believe the report that Oswald ( after he was arrested in NO on August 9th, 1963 after his fight with Carlos Bringuier ) asked to speak from someone from the FBI before he left the police station?"

I don't 'believe' or 'disbelieve' anybody , I do my best to weigh and evaluate information.  There is primary documentation that LHO asked to speak with Quigly and I accept that happened.  

What is your point?