The Education Forum

Oswald, the Cubans and the house on Harlandale

Hey there Doug...  do I have this right?  it seems they got the wrong house in that article... Walthers' note says 3114 Harlendale...??

Plus, I guess this is a duplex? as the address on the post out front is 3126....  was this just more ASCI planted evidence against Ozzie?  I do think I found an image of Oswald at one of these meetings... but can't be sure...

That sure looks like CRUZ in the front row...  I think that's Oswald by the way he is standing and holding his body

FWIW  DJ

1169606432_HarlendaleAlpha66meeting-isthatCRUZSr..thumb.jpg.aaa02cdc86f8e2bc8df776f35d9fe135.jpg597167196_Alpha66meeting-maybeHarlendale-isthatOswald.thumb.jpg.ee6b05a44c8186d019da427907d7e224.jpg

A point of interest has resurfaced again of late; that being a Nov. 23, 1963, report made by Dallas County Sheriff’s Department Deputy E.R. “Buddy” Walthers. In his report to Dallas County Sheriff Bill Decker, Walthers said that “at a house at 3128 Harlandale, some Cubans had been having meetings on the weekends and were possibly connected with the ‘Freedom for Cuba Party,’ of which Oswald was a member.” Walthers got the name wrong. Oswald was a self-proclaimed member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC), which he set up while in New Orleans in the summer of 1963.

681297934_Page2ofWalthersnoteaboutHarlendaleandtheFPCC.jpg.f044d60840c05c18b85b13c2b9b7bbff.jpg

We'll know a lot more when Part II of this article comes out. The last sentence in this article says, "So where does all this lead? See Part II in the next issue of the Hot Springs Village Voice. All footnotes/documentation for this 2-part article can be found in the online version."

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

"...some Cubans had been having meetings on the weekends and were possibly connected with the ‘Freedom for Cuba Party,’ of which Oswald was a member.”

David,

Here's a question for you...

What was the name of the organization that Henry Wade gave out at Oswald's midnight press conference, and which Jack Ruby corrected him?

What are the chances that Buddy Walthers and Henry Wade both made the same mistake?

And, if not a mistake, what was the common source of information for both Walthers and Wade?

Steve Thomas

15 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

What was the name of the organization that Henry Wade gave out at Oswald's midnight press conference, and which Jack Ruby corrected him?

This is what I've found... I didn't know off the top of my head....

Doesn't seem to be the same mistake...  btw - what was the correct Harlendale address?
DJ

Wiki - District Attorney Henry Wade briefed reporters at the press conference telling them that Lee Oswald was a member of the anti-Castro Free Cuba Committee. Ruby was one of several people there who spoke up to correct Wade, saying, "Henry, that's the Fair Play for Cuba Committee," a pro-Castro organization.

Article by Mike Sylwester, "Mob Connections: Jack Ruby, Smuggling With and Spying on Communists, 1938 - 1958"   http://www.jfklancer.com/jackruby.html 

3cbulgrDuring the Friday night "press conference" with Lee Oswald at the Dallas Police Station, then District Attorney Henry Wade said that Lee Oswald was a member of the "Free Cuba Movement," Ruby corrected him, stating: Fair Play for Cuba." As Ruby testified to Chief Justice Warren:

And they questioned Henry Wade, "what organization did he belong to," or something. And if I recall, I think Henry Wade answered, "Free Cuba." And I corrected Henry Wade, because listening to the radio or KLIF, it stood out in my mind that it was "Fair Play Cuba." There was a difference. So he said, "Oh yes, Fair Play Cuba," and he corrected that.

We left out in the hallway, and I saw Henry Wade standing there, and I went over to him and said, "Henry, I want you to know I was the one that corrected you." I think it is a childish thing, but I met Henry Wade sometime back, and I knew he would recognize me. By the way, it was "Fair Play Cuba," or something to that effect.

Actual newsreel footage. 

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

not being cheeky here....  why do we see 3114 Harlendale in Walthers' notes? 

Where did 3126 come from?

DJ

David,

I don't know who Dalman is and can't tell you about 3114.

On May 20, 1964, Manuel Rodriguez voluntarily appeared at the Dallas FBI offices and spoke to Wallace Heitman. He told Heitman that the members of SNFE met at bi-weekly meetings at 3126 Harlandale. (Although in his Report, Heitman spelled it Hollandale.)

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11481#relPageId=222&tab=page

This Report was dictated on May 22nd and typed up on May 25, 1964.

Oswald was seen going in and out of a house on Harlandale St. in Dallas. (I think the address was 3126, and he was seen at least once I believe. The source for this was Sheriff's Deputy Buddy Walthers in his after-action reports)

See: http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/html/WH_Vol19_0276b.htm

Walthers mistakenly gives the address as 3128 Harlendale.  (wrong number and wrong spelling).

In his 11/26/63 follow up Report, Deputy Sheriff, Buddy Walthers wrote that the Cubans who had been at the Harlandale house had moved out between seven days before the President was shot and one day after he was shot.

See: http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/html/WH_Vol19_0276b.htm

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

It was 3126 Harlandale.

I believe that says ALBERTO DALMAN/DALMASS  and OSCAR D... at 2927 "  which I take to mean Harlandale

Maybe the name of his Harlandale informants?

681297934_Page2ofWalthersnoteaboutHarlendaleandtheFPCC.jpg.f044d60840c05c18b85b13c2b9b7bbff.jpg

David:

You might be right about Cruz. 

Can you give us the background on this photo?  Who took it, where and when?

15 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

David:

You might be right about Cruz. 

Can you give us the background on this photo?  Who took it, where and when?

From Bart's link we learn that a number of POI lived on Harlandale....  (Thanks for the link Bart)

I am almost sure Bart provided these in an Alpha 66 thread....  and I tried to find Oswald in the room.

If not, I apologize to the actual source for forgetting....  and as I look again, that's one large room for one of those little houses on Harlandale....  no walls at all...
Looks more like a Rec center than a home...  FWIW

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

From Bart's link we learn that a number of POI lived on Harlandale....  (Thanks for the link Bart)

I am almost sure Bart provided these in an Alpha 66 thread....  and I tried to find Oswald in the room.

If not, I apologize to the actual source for forgetting....  and as I look again, that's one large room for one of those little houses on Harlandale....  no walls at all...
Looks more like a Rec center than a home...  FWIW

David,

I think this came up in a discussion about whether this picture came from an Alpha 66 meeting or a DRE meeting.

On December 21, 1963, Anna Silveira of the DRE told FBI Agent James O'connor in Miami, FL. that two meetings of the DRE had been held in Dallas, TX on October 13, 1963.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57746&search=%22bank_in+a+shopping+center+in+dallas%22#relPageId=24&tab=page

One meeting for Spanish speaking people was held at 1:00 PM and was attended by about 70 people.

A second meeting for English speaking people was held at 8:00 PM "in a conference room over a bank" and was attended by about 30 people.

image.png.4966b301a6d2861b15e76e8c8322a7c0.png

If you look out the windows of that picture, this appears to be at ground level in the middle of the day.. There seems to be more than 30 people, and to me, they appear to be Hispanic looking people.

I would venture to say that this is the first meeting Anna Silveira talked about that took place at 1:00 PM.

Steve Thomas