The Education Forum

Carlos Marcello and the Making of a Mafia Myth

It's been 30 years since I bought into the Mafiaingfish/Contract on America/Blakey stuff as the only alternative I saw at the time to the official story.  

Which I no longer believed by that point, but didn't know what else to.  Get the stone out of my shoe.  Cut the head of the dog, not the tail. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Jeff Royle said:

If Marcello was not a big deal in the mob, why deport him?  Some say it was a simple immigration issue however, Johnny Roselli was in the states under a false name with false paperwork.  Why not go after Roselli for immigration issues?  And if Marcello wasn't running Louisiana and parts of Texas as some have suggested, why go after him?  Marcello was a big deal but he was the most low-keyed of all the big mob bosses.  He knew how to keep to himself and he knew how to keep his mouth shut while other mob bosses were flashy and loved the spotlight.  

Marcelo was a big deal or RFK wouldn't have deported him. Roselli's immigration issues came up after the JFK assassination, deportation became an issue for him.  He told Jack Anderson Ruby was one of our boy's and wound up garroted with his legs cut off stuffed in an oil drum.  In spite of Ruby's hit on Oswald, Marcello nor the rest of the mob did not orchestrate or pull off the assassination.  It was beyond their capability to perform or cover up.  

13 hours ago, Mike Carney said:

The Secret Service did the cover up, watch the movie "JFK - The Smoking Gun". It's about an hour and a half long and it explains the reason for the cover up.

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a lively discussion involving the Smoking Gun if you want to catch up a bit.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24110-lois-liggett-challenge-to-jim-di-eugenio/

On 9/9/2020 at 11:04 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a lively discussion involving the Smoking Gun if you want to catch up a bit.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24110-lois-liggett-challenge-to-jim-di-eugenio/

1 hour ago, Mike Carney said:

Thanks Ron, but this is a different "Smoking Gun", it was done by Colin McLaren and came out in 2013.  Called "JFK - The Smoking Gun". You can rent it on youtube for about $3 and it's well worth it.

I've seen the show on "Reelz."

McLaren is a "Hickey did it" believer...

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/Shooting_holes_in_theory_that_a_Secret_Service_agent_killed_President_Kennedy.html

9 hours ago, Mike Carney said:

Thanks Ron, but this is a different "Smoking Gun", it was done by Colin McLaren and came out in 2013.  Called "JFK - The Smoking Gun". You can rent it on youtube for about $3 and it's well worth it.

When I googled Colin McLaren and Smoking Gun the IMDb link gave it away.  When I saw the names Bonnar Menninger and George Hickey the alarm bells went off.  Hickey shooting JFK from the follow up car has been discredited for many years now.  McLaren and Menninger are not exactly ROKC material.  Bart would eat them for lunch.  These Aussie's failed in their search for the Truth or whatever they were trying to do. 

Ron:

Who are you saying was garroted, legs cut off and stuffed in an oil drum?

Hello Mark and Ron,

Yes I've seen that article but there were many witnesses that saw Hickey with the AR15 and some had thought he fired it. There were also many witnesses that smelled smoke in the motorcade, where did that come from? There was the actions of the Secret Service afterward in covering it up, why?

20 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron:

Who are you saying was garroted, legs cut off and stuffed in an oil drum?

Bill Harvey's close friend John Roselli.  In my short Garrison article I've attributed it to David Scheim's Contract on America pg. 266.  Trouble is I can't find the word garroted there now.  What I was quoting from that page was about Roselli telling Jack Anderson of the Wa Po that Ruby was "one of our boy's".  It's referenced to an article in the Albuquerque Journal, September 8, 1976, a month after his death, and another article in the WP from January 3, 1979.  I've looked today and can't find the WP article but think that's where I read the garroted part.   Interesting aside, the next reference in COA is Dan Moldea in The Hoffa War's saying Roselli was last seen getting on a boat owned by an associate of Santo Trafficante..

Irregardless, as Mike alludes to he was found stuffed in an oil drum on a sandbar in Dumbfounding bay.  With his legs cut off and stuffed in it with his body.  Some reports say he was also shot.  A 2/25/1977 NYT article says he was held with a hand over his nose and mouth until he asphyxiated.  Then a Canon towel was taped over his mouth to make sure he was dead.  Why bother shooting him if your going to do that?  Another article I came across said he was strangled.  His death certificate says simply "asphyxiation'" - Complete and Return Immediately.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/25/archives/mafia-said-to-have-slain-rosselli-because-of-his-senate-testimony.html

Death+Certificate+of+Johnny+Rosselli.png 

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 9/17/2020 at 5:00 AM, Mike Carney said:

It seems that Marcello and Trafficante were worried that Rosselli, Giancana, and Hoffa might spill the beans while being grilled by the feds so they pulled the "why take a chance" card and had them all killed.

A not totally unbelievable scenario imo.

Putting and carrying out hits on high ranking organized crime figures  ( even former ones ) probably had to have been ordered and okayed by equal standing or even higher up ones. Not lesser standing ones.

And the common thread with these three was their relationships with JFK/RFK/ William Harvey, etc. And with Giancana and Roselli, our own intelligence agencies.

I believe Marcello was much more powerful and respected in the national syndicate than others believe.

I think what the average person has no clue about was the power and influence Mafia Godfathers had in their own area of control. Complete and unfettered.

And not being willy-nilly messed with by other location Godfathers, unless perhaps they did something so threatening to the entire national interest of the syndicate they had no choice.

The Las Vegas gold mine was mostly controlled by Godfathers in cities and areas other than NYC where the common historical line says the "Boss of Bosses" resides.

Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, etc. 

The NYC Boss Of Bosses power and control over other national Godfathers thing is overblown imo.

Cuba and Florida were Trafficante's domain. Louisiana and Texas Marcello's.

I sense the syndicate code was that nobody else in the Godfather hierarchy competed with or threatened other Godfathers in their specific geographical area domain affairs.

The Mafia was a criminal enterprise so massive and spread out by the 1960's they "truly were" one of America's largest corporations. More powerful and influencing than any "one" of the largest corporations such as U.S. Steel.

Whoever ordered the hits on these three had the highest power standing imo.

Giancana especially. The man was under 24 hour surveillance by our own police agencies! For someone to arrive at, get into and then depart Giancana's home unnoticed is preposterous.

To pull that surveillance required highest authority clearance.

Edited by Joe Bauer