The Education Forum

LBJ's "captain of the ship" remark

In April 1963 LBJ made comments in a radio interview about not shooting "the captain of the ship" or something to that effect. As I recall, it was in reference to critics of JFK. The comments could be interpreted as code for a go-ahead on the assassination. Does anyone have the details on this (his exact words, date, etc.)? I found nothing through Google.

In April 1963 LBJ made comments in a radio interview about not shooting "the captain of the ship" or something to that effect. As I recall, it was in reference to critics of JFK. The comments could be interpreted as code for a go-ahead on the assassination. Does anyone have the details on this (his exact words, date, etc.)? I found nothing through Google.

Don't have access to books right now, but I seem to recall that this is in Manchester's DEATH OF A PRESIDENT.

Ron,

This is news to me. Where did you hear this?

If you could find out which radio station broadcast the interview, it could be worth checking with the Museum of Radio and Television. Probably a longshot.

http://www.ny.com/museums/MTR.html

Could be wrong, but I think the remark was quoted in the April 24, '63 edition of the Dallas paper, in conjunction with the announcement of a fall trip to Texas by the President. Ostensibly in reference to critics of Kennedy, Johnson said (paraphrase!) "The President is like the pilot of a plane. He's the only one you've got. So don't go into the cockpit and hit him over the head! At least wait 'till November to shoot him down!"

Johnson used this analogy (pilot of the plane, captain of the ship...) on several occasions, but his use of it at the time Kennedy's forthcoming visit was announced is certainly interesting...

Alan :

You got it ....

Ron, fellas, here it is......

""At the afternoon reception a crowd of nearly 2000 jammed the Chrystal Ballroom of the Ba ? Hotel to hear Vice President Johnson lash out at vociferous critics of the government.

Before shaking hands for nearly an hour, the vice president said he had not come to "say something ugly" about anyone. " My heart is not filled with fear or hate or hyprocisy" he said.

SCORES DETRACTORS

"I see some people that are filled with hate and fear and hypocrisy and I say "God, forgive them" he said to cheers from the Democrats assembled.

"I sympathize with these few who are in the minority, if they think this country is in as bad shape as they say it is, if they think our government is stupid and disloyal well, I wonder why they agree to stay here anyway ?" he said.

He said " the President of the United States is like the a pilot and the election is when the nation picks an airplane and a pilot for the next four years..

COMMON DANGER

"Once you pick him and you're flying across the water in bad weather, don't go up and open the door and try to knock him in the head. He's the only pilot you have and if the plane goes down, you go with it."

"At least wait (until ?)( the election?) at November before you shoot him down"..

The vice president said he had supported President Eisenhower............""

B.......

Edited by Bernice Moore

Bernice,

Thanks. It looks like he says "wait until next November before you shoot him down."

What a "coincidental" thing for him to say.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the plot really got rolling at about the time of this LBJ utterance reported in the Dallas newspaper.

• 9 years later...