The Education Forum

Book says Sheriff fired a shot at LHO from roof of County Records building

edit

BANKSTON, DOLORES F. (NEE MERIDITH) (MRS. J. M.)

Sources: WC 25, p. 716; CE 2505; CD 106, p. 22; CD 355, p. 44

Mary's Comments: Met Ruby through Bob and Kathryn Heiser four or five years ago.

Her husband, known as "Red" Bankston, Garland Car Dealer, committed suicide 5/15/64.

Her name on Ruby's memo pad 11/24/63. Ruby once offered her money when she was ill.

Mrs J. M. Dolores Meredith Bankston

Red Bankston

DMN January 18, 1963

Cedar Hill to Vote on Leash Law

....James Red Bankston has sold his Ford Agency to Courtesy Motors Corp of Englewood

and Denver, Colorado

The same day that Red Bankston’s death notice appeared in the Dallas Morning

News another obituary appeared on page 23, that of

De Witt Carmichael. 3507 Granada.

Survived by wife Mrs. Vida Carmichael One of the pallbearers

listed was W.O. Bankston

May 16, 1964

Auto Dealer Found Dead

GARLAND Texas - J.M. “Red” Bankston,

47 year-old Garland auto dealer,

was killed Friday when a bullet pierced his chest

Justice of the Peace Theron Ward

ruled the wound was self-inflicted.

Police said they went to Bankston’s home at 914

Patricia after receiving a call from his mother

They said they found a .357 magnum

pistol near the body.

Investigators said the wound indicated the

weapon was pointed at Bankston’s heart.

A spokesman for the Justice of the Peace

said he found nothing which would indicate foul-play.

Re above....Well, I guess that was that.

When I read the Decker autobiography, I don't recall it ever mentioning Red Bankston's death....odd.

• 8 months later...

...and what about the Alice Fraizer claim:

"Before they left the apartment building, Eva told the assistant manager, Alice Frazier, that she was going to be left in charge for a while. Eva advised Alice not to say anything about Jack Ruby or that she even knew him if she was questioned by the media.

Alice Frazier, the assistant apartment house manager, didn’t heed Eva Smith’s warning and told the reporters everything she knew about Jack Ruby. The next day she was found behind her apartment and her throat had been cut."

Ed

I wonder why Harry Weatherford's shot at Oswald was covered up till now.

Also, this is the first I've heard about firecrackers being thrown at LBJ's car from the grassy knoll as the car went by. And this was after Oswald had time to go down to the front door of the TSBD and wait for the sound of the firecrackers. LBJ's car was mighty slow-movin'.

I've heard just about everything now.

Ron,

I remember reading about it some time back.

--Tommy

"Before they left the apartment building, Eva told the assistant manager, Alice Frazier, that she was going to be left in charge for a while. Eva advised Alice not to say anything about Jack Ruby or that she even knew him if she was questioned by the media.

Alice Frazier, the assistant apartment house manager, didn’t heed Eva Smith’s warning and told the reporters everything she knew about Jack Ruby. The next day she was found behind her apartment and her throat had been cut."

Ed

Ed,

Do you know if the reporters' interviews got published? Maybe they got "the message" and suddenly got "cold feet"...

--Tommy

Deputy Sheriff Harry Weatherford is much more likely to have been shooting at JOHN KENNEDY and not at some phantom sniper in the 6th floor window!

I do think there were snipers plural on the 6th floor. And Harry Weatherford was shooting at NONE of them.

Like I said, if Weatherford shot at anyone that day, it was JOHN KENNEDY, imho.

I also find it difficult to believe that Weatherford shot at the sixth floor window. I've been able to find no evidence that the Sheriff's Dept. was involved in security for the motorcade. There IS evidence, however, that Decker told his men NOT to provide security, to remain just spectators.

But I do find interesting the removal of the window sill in light of the discovery of the spent rifle shell that was allegedly found in 1975 on the roof of the building that housed the Sheriff's Dept. ( County Records Bldg. ).

There are photos of the day that seem to indicate a gouge in the sill.

I wonder why Harry Weatherford's shot at Oswald was covered up till now.

Also, this is the first I've heard about firecrackers being thrown at LBJ's car from the grassy knoll as the car went by. And this was after Oswald had time to go down to the front door of the TSBD and wait for the sound of the firecrackers. LBJ's car was mighty slow-movin'.

I've heard just about everything now.

Well, here's another thing. Oswald wasn't at the 6th floor window, Ron. One of Duncan MacCrae's threads shows the man who was.

Kathy C

• 1 year later...

Cover-Up by Gary Shaw, undated interview of Roger Craig by Shaw and Penn Jones (pg.144)

A man with a gun is known to have been on the roof of County Records Building during the assassination. According to Roger Craig, Deputy Sheriff Harry Weatherford was at this location with a rifle equipped with a telescopic sight… Deputy Sheriff Pat Boyd told Craig that two weeks prior to the shooting of Kennedy and Connally, he (Boyd) had built a silencer for a .30 caliber carbine owned by Weatherford.

Interview by Gary Shaw and Larry Harris of an unknown researcher, November of 1975 (pg.144)

In 1969 a young assassination researcher interviewed Weatherford, and was taken by the man’s savage demeanor. He asked him point-blank if he had shot Connally or Kennedy. Weatherford snapped, “You little son of a b----, I shoot a lot of people.”

Letter from Jim Bowles to Dennis Morissette, 10/3/90 (posted on Morissette’s website jfkassassinationfiles.com):

Yes, Harry Weatherford was on the roof with a second deputy, and he had a rifle. They were assigned there for security.

• 6 years later...
On 11/21/2011 at 11:30 PM, Ed LeDoux said:

Ed

Ed,

What are you quoting from? Where did you get this? And do you have more information about this woman and her death? Thanks.

Edited by Joseph Backes

10 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

Ed,

What are you quoting from? Where did you get this? And do you have more information about this woman and her death? Thanks.

This sounds like the reported klatsch of Ruby associates who met after Ruby's arrest in his apartment with his roommate George Senator, and talked to Jim Koethe and the other reporter.  If so, I hadn't heard about the throat-cutting business.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

This sounds like the reported klatsch of Ruby associates who met after Ruby's arrest in his apartment with his roommate George Senator, and talked to Jim Koethe and the other reporter.  If so, I hadn't heard about the throat-cutting business.

@Joseph Backes and @Ed LeDoux, This gets to the creepiest of the creepy. Bill Hunter was one of two journalists, along with a lawyer, who inspected Ruby’s apartment on the evening of Sunday, 11-24-63. George Senator, who lived with Ruby,, would not even stay there through this period. 

George Senator gave his testimony to the Warren Commission on April  21 and 22 of 1964.

Bill Hunter was shot to death, at his work desk, in the Long Beach, CA. police station. at 2 AM on April 24 of 1964.

Jim Koeth died on September 21, 1964, from a blow to the throat, after a break-in of his apartment.

Tom Howard, the Lawyer, died of a heart attack in March of 1965.

@Lance Payette please correct my details, if you would.

Edited by Michael Clark