The Education Forum

Gals & Gents:

I just received this DVD:

Nova-Cold-Case-JFK.png

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/cold-case-jfk.html

and am trying to decide what to do about it. Rip the whole DVD? Upload only the most interesting/critical parts, so we can argue about them in turn?

I am open to requests. The full transcript is in the above URL and the video, below:

https://goo.gl/jTy69B [Click into "Support Files | Videos"]

For now, I uploaded the part that concerns me and Mark Messer -the head designer of the Open Source 3D Model of Dealey Plaza the most: the laser measurements.

Mark may tell you otherwise, but I am green with envy, jealous beyond belief.

Our 3D Model is the most detailed ever, the only one which is Free, the only one which receives requests from you folks, but ...

- Dale Myers had his sugar daddy: ABC News

- Mike Haag & Tony Grissim had their sugar daddy: PBS and the Koch Brothers.

Meanwhile, all Mark and I have is Science & Technology, honesty and the fact that this initiative (as opposed to the above) is:

- Of The People

- By The People

- For The People

-Ramon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I commented on this program as part of my reporting on the onslaught of JFK articles and shows around the 50th.

November 13: NOVA: “Cold Case JFK” premieres on PBS. The Koch brothers are among those funding this program. I wonder if they had any influence on its content. Luke and Michael Haag, the father and son firearms team featured on CBS a few days before, are the chief experts on the program. Credible figures who suspect there was a conspiracy like Josiah Thompson, Robert Blakey and Jefferson Morley are used as talking heads, and essentially as window-dressing. Clint Hill is dragged out as well. The program's use of John McAdams is also illuminating. Whenever they need someone to fill in a part of the story, there's John. Now, this wouldn't be so bad if they didn't let him make stuff up. To explain the botched autopsy, McAdams spews: "The whole Kennedy entourage does not understand the distinction between just an autopsy and a forensic autopsy." (Oh, really? Robert Kennedy, the Attorney General of the United States, doesn't know what the word "forensic" means?) He then mocks the Kennedy family (chiefly Mrs. Kennedy) for choosing to have the autopsy performed at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He either doesn't know or doesn't care that the president's doctor, Admiral Burkley, gave her the choice between Walter Reed, an Army Hospital, and Bethesda, and that she was offered no alternative. The program then introduces Vincent J.M. DiMaio to further comment upon the competence of the autopsy. Chief among these complaints is that the doctors never viewed the clothes before writing their report. Within this sequence they show the autopsy photo of Kennedy's back. The importance of this will soon be made clear.

The program then discusses the Zapruder film. The narrator explains "The majority of witnesses heard three shots. The first bullet evidently missed. It has never been found." Oh my! What a juxtaposition! The narrator fails to explain that the very witnesses the program has relied upon to claim there were three shots, also claimed--overwhelmingly--that the first shot struck Kennedy. Hmmm... So what comes next? "Most agree the fatal head wound was the third and final shot, Zapruder frame 313." Uhhh...most what? Most researchers? Maybe. But not most of the witnesses close enough to say as much. So what comes next? "The earliest sign of trouble is at frame 225, when the car emerges from behind the sign." Oh, my, again! No mention of the HSCA's conclusion Kennedy was hit before he went behind the sign, and showed evidence for this by frame 207. Let's just pretend that never happened. Man, who were the consultants on this? Dale Myers? Gerald Posner? The ghost of John Lattimer? Oh, that's right, they have McAdams, who explains that Connally shows no sign of receiving a bullet before 235. The narrator then offers: "Rewinding to before the sign, neither man appears hit, so clearly both are shot sometime between frame 210, when they disappear, and frame 240, a time span of 30 frames." Arggh! The only government-hired photographic panel to study these frames concluded Kennedy was hit before frame 210. How can they not know this? Oh, I get it! They're telling us why the Warren Commission came to propose the single-bullet theory. But isn't that old news? Hasn't the conclusion of Arlen Specter in 1964 (that Kennedy was not hit before going behind the sign) been superseded by the conclusions of the HSCA photographic panel in 1978, that Kennedy was hit before going behind the sign? Is the whole program really this behind the times, an exploration of theories based upon facts no longer considered facts?

The next segment is devoted to the Haags' showing us how a Carcano bullet can be shot through boards without deformation, etc. The narrator makes it seem as if this is new information, when it's the same old stuff. WHAT A WASTE OF FILM! The program then shows us an animation of the single-bullet theory in slow-mo. The camera follows the bullet down to the back of KENNEDY'S COLLAR--five inches higher on Kennedy's clothes than the actual hole on Kennedy's clothes--then passes out Kennedy's neck! Oh, my, yet again! This is the same program that just rolled its metaphorical eyes over those incompetent doctors writing an autopsy report without inspecting Kennedy's clothes...and here it is "showing" us how Kennedy was killed, while ignoring the holes in his clothes! The Haags now prepare to shoot some soap. So freakin' what? None of this is remotely new! The program now shows us the animated segment shown on CBS a few days earlier. The narrator tells us "The single-bullet theory is all about what it does after it emerges from Kennedy's neck" as the bullet hits Kennedy at his collar and then emerges from his throat. This is a lie of epic proportions. The program has already shown us the photo of Kennedy's back wound; this wound is in a location inches away from where the animated bullet has entered. Who are they trying to fool? The writer of this program is Rushmore DeNooyer; I'll have to see what else he's done and avoid it like the plague. The narrator then declares "In these three feet, the space between Kennedy and Connally, lie the answers that prove or disprove the single-bullet theory."

Luke Haag then shoots a block of soap to simulate Kennedy's back and throat wounds. OOOPS! The hole in the back of the soap, representing the size of the temporary cavity, is far larger than the entrance on Kennedy's back. He then shows us the exit from the soap. It is slightly larger than the entrance, and has a lip around the exit, almost like the top of a Coke bottle. Haag shares, "This is the exit. We can see that it's very little different in size than the entrance." The Haags then start talking about how the bullet begins to yaw as it leaves the soap. They ignore that Kennedy's throat wound was far smaller than his back wound and that the bullet creating the throat wound showed no sign of yawing. Oh no! I sense an attack of the ovoids coming on...where they lie about the shape of Connally's back wound! I notice also that they keep saying there was three feet between Kennedy and Connally. This is not true. The HSCA studied this and determined there was but 2 feet between Kennedy's throat and Connally's back. We are now shown the shape the bullet made when hitting a piece of sheetrock placed three feet beyond the soap neck. They assure us this is "the same position Connally was in, three feet beyond Kennedy." This shows that the bullet was traveling sideways. Haag says "Connally's coat had this kind of a hole in it." This is another whopper. The hole in the sheetrock, pretty much an outline of a Carcano bullet, is about 4 times longer than wide. The hole in Connally's jacket, on the other hand, was determined to be about 1.7 cm by 1.2 cm, not even as ovoid as the hole in Kennedy's jacket, 1.5 cm by 1. The narrator then builds upon this lie by relating "And so does Connally's back, according to his surgeon." Wow, the hits just keep coming. This surgeon, Dr. Robert Shaw, of course, insisted the bullet creating the wound on Connally's back had entered at an angle, and had not hit Kennedy beforehand. The narrator then lists: "A straight line through JFK's neck, elliptical holes in Connally's back and coat with no bullet wipe, bits of lead in the wrist, a bullet noticeably flattened with lead bulging out the bottom, and tests showing that Carcano bullets consistently turn sideways; to Luke Haag the single-bullet theory adds up." To no one's surprise, Haag then concludes "There's no reason not to conclude that the single-bullet theory as proposed by Arlen Specter is the correct one."

Now, admittedly, that last bit was a bit tough for me to listen to--so much so that I missed something the first time around and only caught it after reading a review of the program by Martin Hay. "With no bullet wipe"... After he was first shown firing on soap, Luke Haag pulled a piece of cloth from the outside of the soap block and explained that it showed bullet wipe--which indicated that the bullet striking this soap block had not hit anything else prior to hitting the soap block. By saying Connally's coat had no bullet wipe at the end of this segment, then, the narrator was telling the audience that this lack of bullet wipe was evidence Connally was hit by a bullet previously hitting something else--Kennedy! But this was balderdash! Connally's clothes were taken home and washed by his wife after the shooting--no one told her not to! So how could the program's creators in good conscience insinuate the lack of bullet wipe on Connally's coat was evidence the bullet hit Kennedy?

The talking heads then briefly discuss the head shot. McAdams, Morley, and Thompson tell how the showing of the back-and-to-the-left movement of Kennedy's head on TV led to the HSCA's investigation. McAdams and Morley then denounce the dictabelt evidence. The program then takes an unexpected turn and begins discussing laser scanners. The Haags, here listed as "Firearms Expert"s, are behind this part as well. They laser scan Dealey Plaza, and claim their data is accurate within an eighth of an inch. This study leads Michael Haag to proclaim that a shot from the knoll is possible, but it would have to have impacted on the right front of Kennedy's head. We are then rushed to the Boston University School of Medicine, for a virtual reconstruction of Kennedy's head wounds by Greg Mahoney, a forensic artist, James McKinnis,(sp?), a forensic anthropologist and Peter Cummings, a pathologist specializing in gunshot wounds to the head. This should prove interesting. The images of them at work prove that they believe the large skull fragment found in the limousine to be frontal bone a la Dr. Angel, and not parietal bone, a la Dr. Baden. They also think far more skull was missing than is missing on the x-rays. Strangely, it appears they think the Harper fragment was high on the back of Kennedy's head. Where do they get all this? What is their source material? I have a suspicion they've assumed the "mystery photo" to reflect the condition of Kennedy's skull beneath the scalp, and don't realize large chunks of skull fell to the table as the scalp was peeled back. I then notice something even more alarming. Cummings has placed the "v-shaped notch" apparent in the mystery photo on Kennedy's forehead, above his right eye. This is where Dr. Angel placed it. Perhaps Cummings and his colleagues don't realize no one saw a beveled exit in this region and that Angel's conclusions were brushed aside by the Forensic Pathology Panel.

The next bit is also interesting. Cummings visits the National Archives to look at the original photos and x-rays. Cummings then gets all emotional about how honored he was to get to look at the photos. He tells us the photos in the archives are much clearer than those publicly available. We are then shown the back of the head photo while the narrator tells us "Even so they're not perfect. A photo intended to document the entry point is unclear, because for whatever reasons the autopsy doctors did not shave the head wound." Well, well. Ya gotta love this. Cummings can't identify the red spot in the cowlick as an entrance wound. The program isn't a total waste, after all. (I wonder how McAdams feels about this.) The program then gets even more interesting. Cummings says the brain photos show that the bullet traveled from the back of the brain forward, and that this rules out the shot's coming from the knoll. It then gets still more interesting. Cummings says that the fracture pattern on the x-rays suggests the bullet entered LOW on the head. He thinks the long fractures came from the EOP, and that the fractures by the cowlick are concentric fractures. (He doesn't seem to realize that an entrance at this location is inconsistent with the brain damage he's just described.) The narrator then uses this to argue against the shot's coming from the knoll. The program's creators don't even seem to know what Cummings is telling them--that the HSCA Forensic Pathology Panel got it wrong! Oh wait! They do. The program then visits Larry Sturdivan. Sturdivan says of the HSCA panel "Probably the reason that they developed the higher impact point was simply to explain that that sort of line could line up with the school book depository window. I don't know why they assumed that it had to make a straight path." Well, this hides that the high impact point was not developed by the HSCA but picked out by a secret panel created by the Johnson Administration to combat conspiracy theorists. Sturdivan then explains that the bullets fired in the 1964 tests deformed and took curved paths. Sturdivan then proposes that Kennedy's movements after 313 came courtesy a neuro-muscular response. This is somewhat gratifying. In his 2005 book, The JFK Myths, Sturdivan explained Kennedy's movements via the "jet effect" theory pushed by Dr. Luis Alvarez. This theory met a timely end last month in Pittsburgh, when Tink Thompson showed Alvarez's notes to those in attendance at the Wecht Conference, and proved Alvarez had knowingly cooked his data.

The narrator then sums it all up. "No experiments can show why someone would take a rifle to a high window and pull the trigger, but they can show it's probable that Lee Harvey Oswald did, and that his shots alone killed President John F. Kennedy." Luke Haag then repeats his Sherlock Holmes mantra: "If you can rule out that which is impossible, that which remains, however seemingly improbable, is the truth." The first two-thirds of this program was just awful, but the last third was far better, and perhaps even important.

Pat:

Did you see the folder with 32+1 frames from the documentary? You can download them all and see them in a movie-like sequence.

They make a darn strong case about the trajectory (*) of the SBT. Of course, we would need the measurements, which are locked up, inside a safe, like the Coca Cola formula. For some unexplained reason PBS has decided to take over the role of the National Archives (**). I am still waiting for a reply to my letter.

-Ramon

(*) I am not arguing about the timing. The LN trajectory seems to be flawless.

(**) As in "POSTPONED IN FULL"

Edited by Ramon F. Herrera

I commented on this program as part of my reporting on the onslaught of JFK articles and shows around the 50th.

[...]

"The first two-thirds of this program was just awful, but the last third was far better, and perhaps even important."

[...]

Thanks for the feedback, Pat.

--Tommy :sun

stateoftheart.jpg

My favourite cartoon, clearly demonstrating the Magic Bullet had to have entered the back of the neck, if it originated from the Sniper's Nest, for it to have exited the throat and then struck Connally in the right armpit. How many vertebrae did it destroy on its way through the neck?

Thank God for the dumbing down of America! Without it, garbage like this would never pass for serious research.

-Ramon

(*) I am not arguing about the timing. The LN trajectory seems to be flawless.

How is a shot in the back at T3 a "flawless" trajectory thru the throat?

More pixie dust, Ramon, on the prima facie case for conspiracy?

stateoftheart.jpg

My favourite cartoon, clearly demonstrating the Magic Bullet had to have entered the back of the neck, if it originated from the Sniper's Nest, for it to have exited the throat and then struck Connally in the right armpit. How many vertebrae did it destroy on its way through the neck?

Thank God for the dumbing down of America! Without it, garbage like this would never pass for serious research.

Yeah, this is incredible.

The bullet holes in the clothes are 4" below the bottom of the collars, but here the in-shoot is above the jacket collar!

Flawless...

"Cold Case JFK" vs. Cold Hard JFK Facts

by David W. Mantik, MD, PhD (physics)

Posted November 26, 2013

Note: This is a critical review of the NOVA production (November 14, 2013) – "Cold Case JFK."

G. Robert Blakey (as quoted on "Cold Case JFK"):
"...the need that led to the Warren Commission was not to find out what happened but to assure the American people what didn't happen."

John McCloy (Warren Commission):
[it was of paramount importance to] "show the world that America is not a banana republic, where a government can be changed by conspiracy."

Jim Marrs (Crossfire 2013, p. 441):
"Allen Dulles told author Edward Jay Epstein that since an atmosphere of rumors and suspicion interferes with the functioning of the government, especially abroad, one of the Commission's main tasks was to dispel rumors."

This was a remarkably disingenuous program, with many erroneous assumptions, misleading statements, and crucial omissions. I label these accordingly below. I also list several correct statements and provide additional comments.

The bullet holes in the clothes are 4" below the bottom of the collars, but here the in-shoot is above the jacket collar!

Flawless...

Thanks for your post, esteemed Cliff.

If you go to the Open Source 3D Model of Dealey Plaza Project's Google Drive:

... you will find 32+1 frames that I extracted from the PBS Nova documentary. Using the right and left arrow keys you can see them in a movie-like fashion, depending on your Internet connection. Even better: you may download them one at a time (I will pack them in a zipped file later, for your downloading convenience) and you can use the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to play them, forward and rewind.

The entrance hole matches the autopsy photo and shirt bullet hole very well, I am afraid to report. Even worse news: the weird neck used by snake oil salesman extraordinaire Dale Myers:

Gungan-Star-Wars.jpg

... has been upgraded, replaced by a normal, straight sitting JFK (as the last picture of him, a second before the shot shows).

Here's a fact for whose assertion I have gotten a lot of flak: The LNs are getting very sophisticated and we are being left behind. The reason is simple: See my OP above and look for the term "Sugar Daddy".

-Ramon

The entrance hole matches the autopsy photo and shirt bullet hole very well, I am afraid to report.

But the hole in the shirt does not match up with the "wound" depicted in the autopsy photo.

There is a 2+ inch discrepancy.

The clothing evidence, for which there is a chain of possession, trumps the autopsy photo -- for which there is no chain of possession.

Flawless...

Thanks for your post, esteemed Cliff.

If you go to the Open Source 3D Model of Dealey Plaza Project's Google Drive:

... you will find 32+1 frames that I extracted from the PBS Nova documentary. Using the right and left arrow keys you can see them in a movie-like fashion, depending on your Internet connection. Even better: you may download them one at a time (I will pack them in a zipped file later, for your downloading convenience) and you can use the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to play them, forward and rewind.

The entrance hole matches the autopsy photo and shirt bullet hole very well, I am afraid to report. Even worse news: the weird neck used by snake oil salesman extraordinaire Dale Myers:

Gungan-Star-Wars.jpg

... has been upgraded, replaced by a normal, straight sitting JFK (as the last picture of him, a second before the shot shows).

Here's a fact for whose assertion I have gotten a lot of flak: The LNs are getting very sophisticated and we are being left behind. The reason is simple: See my OP above and look for the term "Sugar Daddy".

-Ramon

I think you're missing the context, Ramon. Myers TRIED to have the back wound at (or at least near) its actual location on Kennedy's back and clothes, but had to contort Kennedy's neck and lie about Connally's position in the car in order to make it all line up. The Haags' did something different entirely. And it wasn't sophisticated. While their 3-D depiction of the plaza might be spot-on accurate, their depiction of Kennedy's and Connally's relative positions and the bullet trajectories was invented from whole cloth. They didn't even pretend it represented the actual wound locations or the locations of the holes on the clothing. They knew this, moreover, and tried to get around this by telling one of the biggest fattest lies ever told in a Kennedy special--that the single-bullet theory is all about what happens after the bullet exits Kennedy's neck. This is preposterous. My presentation The Single-bullet Theory, Voodoo Science, and Zombie Lies

details the history of the single-bullet theory, and shows both how those pushing the theory have lied about the back wound location from the beginning, and those continuing to push the theory continue to lie about its location.

The NOVA lie was, to me, an acknowledgement on the part of the Haags that they actually have no explanation for the bullet's trajectory, and that they have decided it's better to just lie about it than to try to make it work. Don't be impressed by their laser scanning equipment. It has nothing to do with anything. Its a shiny object designed to make you miss that they've placed the back wound where they know there was no back wound. In chapter 19C of my website, I discuss Max Holland's silly theory the first shot was fired before Zapruder started filming (a point upon which Dale Myers and myself agree). http://www.patspeer.com/chapter-9c-mr-holland-s-colossal-blunder

In the latter part of this chapter, I discuss the re-enactment of the single-bullet theory in Holland's TV special, JFK: the Lost Bullet. In that program they used surveyor's equipment blah blah blah to be as accurate as possible blah blah blah. They then showed a laser beam purportedly shot down from the sniper's nest "proving" Kennedy's and Connally's wounds align, blah blah blah. There were a number of problems with this. Chief among them was that a couple of close-up shots prove that the surveyor's equipment in the background...which appeared to line up with the Dal-Tex Building...was the almost certain source for the laser, and not the hand held laser outside the sniper's nest.

Thetroublewithtrimble.jpg

In short, then, we shouldn't be impressed with experts, especially when they are armed with lasers, etc. Like the neutron activation analysis performed by the HSCA, and the trajectory analysis performed for the HSCA by a NASA employee, it's just smoke designed to make us go "Oooh."

"There were a number of problems with this. Chief among them was that a couple of close-up shots prove that the surveyor's equipment in the background...which appeared to line up with the Dal-Tex Building...was the almost certain source for the laser, and not the hand held laser outside the sniper's nest."

More laser support for the Dal-Tex trajectory.

They should have looked a little closer.

chris

JFK Laser Trajectory.mov

But the hole in the shirt does not match up with the "wound" depicted in the autopsy photo.

Two inches!? Wow!

The expression "know how to pick your battles" comes to mind.

Let me put it in a different way: Do you know the distance (and angle) between the sniper's nest and the Grassy Knoll?

Answer: A heck of a lot more than 2". The angle is almost 180 degrees, as wide as you can possibly get.

Call me lazy, but we engineers prefer to find express solutions.

There is no quickest, more direct solution than solving the tragic frontal shot. The only problem with it is that there is a LOT of science -some being invented as we speak- required (fancy simulations). Meanwhile, cracking/exposing the SBT only involves:

( a ) Accurate measurements of Dealey Plaza

( b ) A nice 3D Model

( c ) Some basic Trigonometry (in Euclidean space, no biggie)

-Ramon

Two inches!? Wow!

It's a huge discrepancy with enormous significance.

Means the shot was too low to have been associated with the throat wound, establishing that as an entrance.

Job #1 of the cover-up -- suppression of the physical evidence.

The expression "know how to pick your battles" comes to mind.

So the SBT trajectory went from "flawless" to "two inches off -- close enough for gov't work"!

Let me put it in a different way: Do you know the distance (and angle) between the sniper's nest and the Grassy Knoll?

Utterly irrelevant.

Answer: A heck of a lot more than 2".

So what?

The angle is almost 180 degrees, as wide as you can possibly get.

Has no impact whatsoever on the impossibility of a bullet entering JFK's back on a downward angle, striking at T3 and exiting his throat without hitting bone.

Call me lazy, but we engineers prefer to find express solutions.

The spatial relationships involved can be grasped by a 5-year old.

Why you have a problem with it all is a mystery.

There is no quickest, more direct solution than solving the tragic frontal shot. The only problem with it is that there is a LOT of science -some being invented as we speak- required (fancy simulations). Meanwhile, cracking/exposing the SBT only involves:

( a ) Accurate measurements of Dealey Plaza

( b ) A nice 3D Model

( c ) Some basic Trigonometry (in Euclidean space, no biggie)

-Ramon

What a crock!

All you need to know is that the bullet holes in the clothes are too low to have been associated with the throat wound.