The Education Forum

WARNING to Forum Members: Please Read This!

Jim Hargrove

1 hour ago, Micah Mileto said:

Whatever happened to "If it's on the internet, it stays there"? Conspiracy theorists are facing the worst crisis in information loss ever. Important information and videos are being deleted or becoming more and more hard to find, at least with a simple search engine result. Like I said, free speech is more important than taking on DVP. There is a crisis in free speech where people view the free speech amendment more as a handicap than a code of ethics. Most people would rather the keys to the world be handed over to Kyle's Mom from South Park. 

I am not real knowledgeable on the subject but I think the crisis in free speech has been going on a long time.  Finding it's foothold in Woodrow Wilson, World War I and Edward Bernays.  Wilson wanted to Censor The Press to go to war after running as an isolationist ("Wilson kept us out of war").  Bernays and others convinced him controlling what news the people read, propaganda, later called advertising, would be more pacifying to the masses.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, James DiEugenio said:

And now he has chosen to leave.  Doesn't that tell you something about why he was here in the first place.

That is the heart of the matter, soup to nuts. It really was an an interesting event. It revealed what his motive was. Preservation of his posts could have been achieved without publishing them. He is not interested in debate, or he would still be here. He did not value being part of this community. He does not respect the community. I think a by-line in the terms and conditions should be that that you “value and respect the forum and the community and demonstrate it. If you do not, you are not welcome” 

Edited by Michael Clark

30 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

That is the heart of the matter, soup to nuts. It really was an an interesting event. It revealed what his motive was. Preservation of his posts could have been achieved without publishing them. He is not interested in debate, or he would still be here. He did not value being part of this community. He does not respect the community. I’m think a by-line in the terms and conditions should be that that you “value and respect the forum and the community and demonstrate it. If you do not, you are not welcome” 

Well said, and in my opinion, entirely reasonable.

Kathy and Forum members,

I apologies I should have made this clear earlier.. DVP boasted on another forum that the measures I initially took had no effect - except the ability to post - and that he could still enter the forum. One member pointed out that only by banning his IP's would we sucessfully keep him out of  the forum. Unfortunately Invision informed me that the only way to do that was to Ban him as well as banning his IP's.

Reluctantly I have banned  DVP as well as his IP addresses.

That was not what I initially intended, but without doing that there was no guarantee that DVP would not return to the forum and copy whatever he wanted.

I am sorry I should have announced I had done this earlier.

Regarding DVP's posts they still exist. Of course he can ask for them to be deleted. As a point of interest it should be noted that if a member asks for their posts be deleted we can do that except any post that lead's a thread. Those posts cannot be deleted and are not deleted.

James

1 hour ago, James R Gordon said:

Kathy and Forum members,

I apologies I should have made this clear earlier.. DVP boasted on another forum that the measures I initially took had no effect - except the ability to post - and that he could still enter the forum. One member pointed out that only by banning his IP's would we sucessfully keep him out of  the forum. Unfortunately Invision informed me that the only way to do that was to Ban him as well as banning his IP's.

Reluctantly I have banned  DVP as well as his IP addresses.

That was not what I initially intended, but without doing that there was no guarantee that DVP would not return to the forum and copy whatever he wanted.

I am sorry I should have announced I had done this earlier.

Regarding DVP's posts they still exist. Of course he can ask for them to be deleted. As a point of interest it should be noted that if a member asks for their posts be deleted we can do that except any post that lead's a thread. Those posts cannot be deleted and are not deleted.

James

Banning his IP won’t keep him from browsing here or from him collecting posts. Honestly the only way to do that is to make the forum totally private to members only. I’m on another forum that is private and non members cannot see anything. That would hurt you in getting new members though. By using a VPN or similar program it’s very easy to get a random IP address from anywhere in the world.

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Micah:

This is a private forum.  It is not a public venue.  You have to join, be cleared, supply a photo and obey rules.

When I slightly objected to what was done to Alex Jones, that is what I was confronted with.

According to those rules, we own what we contribute.  DVP never asked permission to reprint. Probably because he knew what the reply would be. 

And now he has chosen to leave.  Doesn't that tell you something about why he was here in the first place.

It's a matter of moral principal.

The EF forum is owned by Invision. We do not own this site - we lease it from Invision - and the kinds of options above are not open to us.

If we did own the site that would be a different matter.

I am not unsympathetic to the ideas expressed and if this were an independently owned site that would be different.

James.

Thanks for that clarification James.

3 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

The EF forum is owned by Invision. We do not own this site - we lease it from Invision - and the kinds of options above are not open to us.

I am not unsympathetic to the ideas expressed and if this were an independently owned site that would be different.

James.

Have you talked with them about making it private? If that’s the route you want to take it should be able to be done very easily. Ive modded a few forums in the past which were under different providers and they all had an option similar to what I stated. It would just require people to login to be able to view posts. Like I said earlier it may limit new members but it would be private.

3 hours ago, Micah Mileto said:

The Opera web browser has a free VPN option.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of free vpn apps or programs available. If someone wants to read this forum you can’t really stop them unless you close it to all non members

3 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

James.

I was looking on the Invision forum and read that you can make sub forums into “clubs”. It wouldn’t make the whole site private just whatever section you wanted. If you did want to go that route it is possible to do.

7 hours ago, John Kozlowski said:

Banning his IP won’t keep him from browsing here or from him collecting posts. Honestly the only way to do that is to make the forum totally private to members only. I’m on another forum that is private and non members cannot see anything. That would hurt you in getting new members though. By using a VPN or similar program it’s very easy to get a random IP address from anywhere in the world.

David stated previously here that the reason he archived posts was to have a record of his conversations with CTs. I think the fear expressed that he will "collect posts" is unfounded and much ado about nothing. If he can no longer participate here there is presumably no reason for him to "collect posts."