The Education Forum

Who was Jack Ruby?

Paul Brancato

A book on Dorothy Kilgallen - that's interesting. I read somewhere recently that she had entrusted a copy her Ruby file to her best friend, who died a week after Dorothy, and no such file was recovered. She was the wife of the former U.S. Ambassador to Cuba and a girlfriend of JFK. Now I can't remember where I read that!

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A book on Dorothy Kilgallen - that's interesting. I read somewhere recently that she had entrusted a copy her Ruby file to her best friend, who died a week after Dorothy, and no such file was recovered. She was the wife of the former U.S. Ambassador to Cuba and a girlfriend of JFK. Now I can't remember where I read that!

You may be thinking of the book Kilgallen, by Lee Israel.

Interestingly, in Googling Lee Israel to refresh my memory, I see that she was discovered to be a literary forger and thief. She even wrote a book about it, Can You Ever Forgive Me. It's being made into a movie. She died in 2014.

Apparently her books about Kilgallen and others were legit. She later turned to forging letters and stealing real ones when her writing career faltered.

Edited by Ron Ecker

Interesting Ron, but I was referring to a previous post on this thread saying that a new book on Kilgallen was coming out.

It's interesting how the initial newspaper reports on Ruby failed show any substantial link between Ruby and the Mob. The initial AP report on 11/25/63 mentioned a number of arrests for Ruby, but none suggested a connection to organized crime.

Ruby_arrests_11-25-63.jpg?dl=0

The UPI report from the same day was already suggesting something we do know today, namely that Ruby enjoyed hanging out with cops.

Ruby_Liked_Cops_11-25-63.jpg?dl=0

Can you name a real Mobster that enjoyed hanging out with cops and beat reporters?

Searching U.S. newspapers from 1945 through 11/24/1963 yielded several hundred hits for "Jacob or Jack Rubenstein" and "Jack Ruby," but not a single on linked our man with the Mob. The closest was a "Jack Rubenstein" involved in a New York basketball fixing scandal from the early 1950, who came up in several hundred links. Since, however, he was described as a "Brooklyn fruit peddler," I sincerely doubt he's our man.

Can anyone show me a newspaper report from the 1950s or early 1960s linking Jack Ruby to organized crime?

Personally, I think this issue deserves a closer look along these lines:

RubyandNixon.jpg?dl=0

Just saying....

Me too Jim. That picture astounds me. Someone said on a post that the figure between Prescott and Richard wasn't Ruby because there is no cleft in the chin. I can see clearly a darkening in the photo where the cleft would be.

I've posted on this before many times, but the continuity Prescott Bush to Richard Nixon to George HW Bush is striking, as are the connections between HW and the Bay of Pigs and the Cubans involved in it that carry all the way to his vice presidency under Reagan. CIA director with no prior experience my ass. Hoover's memo to George Bush of the CIA says otherwise.

Rob - it is striking that he was never convicted for the various crimes he committed.

David - I must be dense - could you explain your post?

Not to make a big thing of this, but: My post glances off Ron Ecker's article on the oddities surrounding how Ruby's dog, Sheba, was left in Ruby's car during the Oswald shooting. Why did Ruby name a dog "Sheba" in the first place?

"Sheba" is not exactly a wiseguy's dog's name, and Sheba was not exactly a wiseguy's dog breed. I'm suggesting that the name "Sheba" is a homosexual subculture reference, based on the movie/stage play title's having become become a camp catch phrase by the 1960s. I linked to the Wiki page for the movie in my post.

I admit that the 1952 movie caused "Sheba" to become a popular dog's name...but not among your average wiseguys.

"Come back, little Sheba" stuck around long enough as a gay catchphrase to be recorded in Angels in America by Tony Kushner, in the 1990s (see link):

https://books.google.com/books?id=yvfoCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=come+back+little+sheba+gay&source=bl&ots=uLplP_XvXg&sig=AosgvMJJZ6vVWHxRb0usMjsAH-g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYqov297zPAhWRxiYKHYKfAZA4ChDoAQgzMAY#v=onepage&q=come%20back%20little%20sheba%20gay&f=false

They used to use "Come back, little Sheba" in gay-subtext gags on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. I can't be the only old man who remembers this.

Edited by David Andrews

Interesting Ron, but I was referring to a previous post on this thread saying that a new book on Kilgallen was coming out.

I was referring to what you read but can't remember where.

This photo seems to go back further than the Oswald-shooting Ruby:

jack-ruby-nightclub-operator-everett.jpg

I just don't think that's Ruby in the photo with Nixon. Ruby was more of a two-bit player that worked around the fringes than someone well-known enough to have their photo taken with RN and Bush.

I think, too that this is an example of people trying to find anything and everything regarding the case as cause for conspiracy. I do believe the "Rubenstein" mentioned is the same one, but the photo, no.

FWIW I have posted elsewhere that the man shown with Nixon looks very much like a man who was at LBJ's swearing in on Air Force One.

Photos are here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=23092&page=2

Edited by Ron Ecker

Me too Jim. That picture astounds me. Someone said on a post that the figure between Prescott and Richard wasn't Ruby because there is no cleft in the chin. I can see clearly a darkening in the photo where the cleft would be.

I can see it too, though I posted a clearer image earlier. Are people saying the HUAC staff member's affidavit is a forgery too? (I've been away a few days.)

Nixon aide Roger Stone told Jefferson Morley, "Nixon recognized Jack Ruby and knew him since 1947 as a 'Johnson man.'”
According to Morley, Stone also said he has “a direct quote from Nixon who acknowledged in 1989 that his aide Murray Chotiner brought Ruby to him in 1947 and told him LBJ wanted Ruby hired as an informant for the House UnAmerican Activities Committee,” otherwise known as HUAC. Remember the name Murray Chotiner.
On October 7, 1955 “Lee Harvey Oswald” supposedly delivered a note to Warren Easton High School in New Orleans that was found in his school file after the assassination. The note read, "Becaus (sic) we are moving to San Diego in the middle of this month Lee must quit school now. Also, please send by him any papers such as his birth certificate that you may have. Thank you. Sincirely (sic).... Mrs. M. Oswald."
Where was Murray Chotiner during this period? In California, where he was active in state politics and the early state and national campaigns of Richard Nixon. He was hardly well known outside of the state.
This Murray Chotiner connection gets interesting. Texas Employment Commission employee Laura Kittrell swore that two different men identifying themselves as “Lee Harvey Oswald” appeared in her office in 1963. Both men, she said, had similar appearances but different mannerisms. One of Oswalds, she also said, became excited and angry when he overheard a women refer to Murray Chotiner.
Chotiner.jpg?dl=0
No doubt someone here will accuse both Roger Stone and Ms. Kittrell of several unkind things. But if both were telling the truth with some degree of accuracy, it sure is a small world when it comes to the Kennedy assassination!

Guest Brian Doyle

Me too. The cleft is visible in that photo contrary to what was suggested. As well as a confirming slightly down-turned straight upper lip.

Are you accusing Roger Stone of the crime of forging a U.S. Congressional document?

I don't know where you get that from. It's not in the sentence I typed.

But I'll cite a source for what I did type:

https://mediamatters.org/research/2016/05/09/comprehensive-guide-trump-ally-roger-stone-racist-sexist-conspiracy-theorist/210303