The Education Forum

Were TSBD employees Jacob, Holt, and Simmons misidentified as Calvery, Hicks, and Reed?

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, Robin Unger said:

DARNELL80.jpg

Anybody still thinks the lady in the middle is Calvery? I have a December 1963 photo showing Westbrook and Calvery taken in the Southwest Publishing Company offices. They show that neither of these women are Calvery or Westbrook. I also have a few of Gloria Holt proving without the shadow of a doubt that it is her in the middle. I showed the image above to Ms. Holt's brother who confirmed this is his sister.

Denis Morissette

JFK Assassination Fact Checker

Edited by Denis Morissette

15 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

Anybody still thinks the lady in the middle is Calvery? I have a December 1963 photo showing Westbrook and Calvery taken in the Southwest Publishing Company offices. They show that neither of these women are Calvery or Westbrook. I also have a few of Gloria Holt proving without the shadow of a doubt that it is her in the middle. I showed the image above to Ms. Holt's brother who confirmed this is his sister.

Denis Morissette

Can you publish the said photos, Denis?

I bought a digital copy of this 1963 color photo from the 6FM. I can’t publish or share it without their permission. It is a very clear one. It is actually one of a 6-photo set donated by Karen Westbrook. Six ladies are standing in line in this photo. Two of them are identified as “Carol” by Karen. I don’t recognize any of them as Carol Reed.

Edited by Denis Morissette

On 3/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, Denis Morissette said:
On 3/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, Robin Unger said:

DARNELL80.jpg

Denis Morissette

Denis,

You are absolutely right.

The three women shown together here are Stella Jacob, Gloria Jeanne Holt, and Sharon Simmons. Former forum member Tommy Graves had a couple of minor breakthroughs in making these identifications a couple years ago. Tommy and I documented his find here:

The three women shown above are the same three shown in this Zapruder frame, at the far right. (Ignore the names given in this frame... all three are wrong.)

temoins071.jpg

Again, the three women on the very right are Stella Jacob, Gloria Jeanne Holt, and Sharon Simmons.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

6 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

The photos are now available online. 

Click on this link. When the new window appears, click "Karen" in the search box.

https://emuseum.jfk.org/objects/images;jsessionid=15B08AD1A4108A5B6B25F92F328C064B?fbclid=IwAR0-fLq_0hk8PQSBUUop74tJjS1vaimCf8Kz_GSigg2hLuObdcHeJ-5jR6k

Denis,

Well we have enough photos of Gloria Calvery that she is easy to find in the link's photos. She's the large, tall woman with dark red hair. But which one is Karen Westbrook?

Oh, it's this one:

Karen-Westbrook-1.jpg

from Bart Kamp's collection.

Karen W. is the tallest one. She has big black buttons on her coat. Her coat has black on each side and her hairstyle is similar to the one in the photo you posted. The lady in red would be Karen Hicks. The one in dark blue and white would be Carol Reed. The one in an orange dress is identified as “Carol” by Westbrook. There is a Carol named Mrs. John L. (Carol) Hughes who was in the TSBD during the shooting and stayed there. She was 27. 

25 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

For each photo there is a description.

You don't see the names of the women in the descriptions, do you? I don't.

Here's an example of what I see in the descriptions:

"Color photograph of six women who worked in the Texas School Book Depository"

It used to be more obvious like "Curator's notes". Now it is "Label text" on the bottom of the page. This is what I get for one of the images: 

Color photographic print of six women who worked for the South-Western Publishing Company on the second floor of the Texas School Book Depository. This photo was taken in December 1963, shortly before Christmas. 

Karen Westbrook, who was a stenographer with South-Western Publishing in 1963-1964, identified the women as follows: 

From left to right in this photo: Gloria Calvery (red hair, with glasses), Carol (last name unknown), another Carol (last name unknown), Karen Westbrook, Karen Hicks in red, and on the far right, a woman whose name is unknown.