The Education Forum

----- >>>>> It's Lee <<<<< -----

Guest Bart Kamp

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marina must follow the case or be in contact with someone who does.

I should convey what Gilbride posted at DPF.  He says the Sixth Floor has a digitized copy of Darnell which they will allow you to look at but not to use.

Well, that would be pretty good if it came from the original.

But from my experience, the original would be even better.

What is the excuse for why NBC will not let anyone see it?

And BTW, who has the WIegman, or does NBC have that one also?

Edited by James DiEugenio

Gilbride pretends the info comes from him whereas it was on my website one month ago and I knew about it the minute Alan Dale had asked the question to S. Fagin as I had two people FB messenger me straight after the question was asked.

Russ Baker went there after Stu Wexler asked him to. And I had Scott Reid go there the same week.

From what I have heard Marina is in touch w Gary Shaw.

NBC owns both films. The copy at the 6th fl is a 1st gen copy. But it comes from a UNI and not Gary Mack who claimed to have a copy ten years ago.

There is no excuse besides they never cooperated with researchers, not in the 60's and not now.

You can get a copy of 3/4" video tape but that is it.

So what happened with Baker and Reid?

Did they watch it?

What is UNI?

Baker and Reid are not that good at dissecting the imagery, only Brian Doyle can :eek

They said that it was easy due to the non user friendly way you could look at the film.

UNI = university

Bart,

If they saw it what did they say about PM, was it LHO?

1 hour ago, Bart Kamp said:

Well this is pretty damning.  Marina says "it's Lee" of her own free will before Ed can even ask her about it.  No prompting. Flabbergasted he says "What!".  She calmly reaffirms simply "it's Lee", seemingly quite sure of herself.

Thanks once again gentlemen.  Re Open the Kennedy Case.  Subpoena NBC for the film.   

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Bart,

If they saw it what did they say about PM, was it LHO?

They could not say as viewing the film is limited to playing the movie in real time and besides stopping and starting nothing else like slow motion or zooming was not possible.

Edited by Bart Kamp

I'm going to interject once again because I talked to the TSBD folks about the film availability before the conference,  they committed to discuss it and were prepared to do so before Alan asked his question.  They also gave a detailed explanation of it being a copy and of its quality -  as well as their legal rights as to what they can do with it.   Russ asked his questions during the question and answer period, and the archivists were very open about what access they could provide.  They discussed both walk in and scheduled viewings but at that point I don't recall any specific questions about options.  If someone has specific questions I can forward them to the archivist or make an introduction.   As far as my experience goes they have been very open about the quality of the copy they hold as well as about options for slow motion and zooming if advance arrangements are made.   

Larry:

What is the quality of their film and is it a film or is it digitized?

And if its digitized, and what level, 2K, 4k?

My other question is why will NBC not show the original?  Do we have to file a lawsuit?

Edited by James DiEugenio

Jim,  all I know for sure is that it is a first generation copy off the NBC film.  Debra and I have been on the phone a couple of times already today and we will pursue the particulars of both the format, if its been digitized (and if it has at what level) directly with the museum folks.  I seem to recall them covering that in their presentation at the conference (they even had PowerPoint on it) but as usual I don't like quoting from memory.  Deb will contact Mr  Fagin directly at the museum and put forth several questions about that and also what advanced viewing options are available, not just screening the film but frame by frame, review, use of optical systems etc. 

Hopefully I can report back on that in a few days,  somebody else may have taken notes on that sort of thing at the conference, I did not myself.

As to NBC, I've seen comments that there has been outreach to them but I've never seen a copy of a formal request or for that matter a written response from NBC.  My first thought would be a formalized letter to them specifying the access required and making some sort of legal statement that any material or findings derived from that would not be used commercially.  Without that I expect "no" would be a routine answer to queries.  That's pretty standard in the corporate world, especially in media. 

I think you would have to get a formal rejection before you could pursue it through legal channels,  and of course the problem as always is that  you would have to find some law enforcement office who considers it an open case wouldn't you?  

28 minutes ago, Bart Kamp said:

1/2" video tape is associated with VHS & Beta (Max) and Digi Beta tape (in some circles). Neither of these formats provides more than 220-240 (1st generation) lines of resolution. Although digi-Beta was a marked improvement over the other two and was used exclusively in the "pro" market place. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Signal_standards ) 

For your info, 3/4" video tape was know ibroadcast industry wide as U-matic tape. This tape format provides max 280 lines of resolution (1st generation). (http://www.derose.net/steve/resources/video-resolution.html ) Regarding today's video standards all these formats leave much to be desired from a quality standpoint..

Your website makes confusing references to 3/4" and 1/2" videotape.

Congrat's on your recent work...