The Education Forum

Washington Post: The 34 best political movies ever made

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David:

Lawrence of Arabia is one of the best films ever made in my view.

But its such a riveting character study that I don't think of it as a political film.

Sort of like in Hamlet, the political stuff is  back stage.

18 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

David:

But its such a riveting character study that I don't think of it as a political film.

Of course it’s a political film, especially given the parameters for “political film” established by the WaPost article.

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

David:

I really don't see how you could have read Seven Pillars, plus any Lawrence biographies, and think so.  That's Ryan's Daughter you're talking about.

To say that the politics of Lawrence of Arabia is equivalent to those of Hamlet is to call the Arab Revolt against the Ottomans window dressing.  The politics of Hamlet are as far from a diegetic element as they are in Babar the Elephant - a fairy tale about a king.

Lawrence is defined by the initial success and eventual failure of the Arab fight against colonialism.  There's no point in making a picture about him otherwise.

Edited by David Andrews

Lawrence of Arabia  is so well written from a character point of view,  and so well acted, that every time I see it that is what I get involved with.

But beyond that, Peter O'toole's performance is, I think, one of the finest pieces of screen acting in the sound era.  Its so well understood, boldly conceived, subtly delineated, and brilliantly executed that  its like the picture is catching up to his complexities. 

Although I understand the political aspects and also the military ones, that isn't what interests me about the film.

BTW, you do know that almost every film of Hamlet is expurgated, and its the political part that gets cut out.

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Lawrence of Arabia  is so well written from a character point of view,  and so well acted, that every time I see it that is what I get involved with.

But beyond that, Peter O'toole's performance is, I think, one of the finest pieces of screen acting in the sound era.  Its so well understood, boldly conceived, subtly delineated, and brilliantly executed that  its like the picture is catching up to his complexities. 

Although I understand the political aspects and also the military ones, that isn't what interests me about the film.

BTW, you do know that almost every film of Hamlet is expurgated, and its the political part that gets cut out.

My only question about the Lawrence character in the movie is the part where he says he enjoyed watching someone die. (I don't remember if it's the guy he had to execute or someone else.) I wonder what that's supposed to be based on. (I think the Jack Hawkins character calls it rubbish.) I know that Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" came out long after the movie. ("I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.")

Edited by Ron Ecker