The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

1 minute ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

Are you repeating some anti-Biden talking points from Fox News, or what?  🤥

Let's recall that Fox News, Trump, Pompeo, and the Trumplicans have been singing Putin's praises as recently as this week.   It's absolutely absurd.  Russian T.V. is even broadcasting clips of Tucker Carlson and Mike Pompeo praising Putin.

So, not surprisingly, Trumplicans and the Fox Propaganda channel are now anxiously blaming Biden for Putin's catastrophic decision to attack Ukraine-- after ridiculing Biden's warnings last week!

You never read the references I post, but here are two accurate, reality-based references about;

1)  Biden and Trump's policies toward Putin and NATO -- written by Russia expert, Dr. Fiona Hill, and

2)  The truly bizarre Republican responses to Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Enjoy.

Former top Trump Russia adviser details the sharp contrast between the former President and Biden
www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/former-top-trump-russia-adviser-details-the-sharp-contrast-between-the-former-president-and-biden/ar-AAU5Chu?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Ukrainian Crisis Reveals GOP’s Inability to Form Positions, Message, Or Even Unify

www.politicususa.com/2022/02/23/ukrainian-crisis-reveals-gops-inability-to-form-positions-message-or-even-unify.html

I asked simple questions.

The choice is not always imbibe heavily the red or blue kool-aid first, and then proceed to bombast.

1. I can't understand Biden signaling, indeed stating out loud, that the US would not send troops to Ukraine. 

2. And then Biden already signaling that no sanctions on Russian oil and gas exports are in the cards. Russia's only real cash cow. 

3. It looks like even kicking Russia out of the SWIFT system...may not happen.

I live in a country where Fox News is not even broadcast, and I don't have a TV anyway. 

But, if Fox is raising these questions, then fine. It is good to always have an opposition press. 

What is your explanation for Biden's behavior? 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Like I said before, we don't have the full picture of the oil situation. There are a lot of moving parts here that can't be turned on a dime. The fact that the Saudis now side with Trump and Putin does not help. What we see now is not the situation we will have in the future.

With regard to the Russian people protesting and Russian soldiers surrendering: Those people don't want anything to do with this BS; they know this war is a horrible idea, and many have friends and family in Ukraine.

Putin's best days are clearly behind him, and let's face it, if we're looking at this honestly, now come the plots against him.

4 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I asked simple questions.

The choice is not always imbibe heavily the red or blue kool-aid first, and then proceed to bombast.

1. I can't understand Biden signaling, indeed stating out loud, that the US would not send troops to Ukraine. 

2. And then Biden already signaling that no sanctions on Russian oil and gas exports are in the cards. Russia's only real cash cow. 

3. It looks like even kicking Russia out of the SWIFT system...may not happen.

I live in a country where Fox News is not even broadcast, and I don't have a TV anyway. 

But, if Fox is raising these questions, then fine. It is good to always have an opposition press. 

What is your explanation for Biden's behavior?

1)  He didn't want to start WWIII, and Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

2)  He probably doesn't want to alienate our NATO allies by blocking their access to fossil fuels in the winter.

Now, let's get back to focusing on Putin's historic, catastrophic invasion of Ukraine.

One of the points made in the second reference article I posted for you is that the Trump/MAGA faction of the GOP are responding to the invasion by praising Putin, blaming Biden, and/or deflecting to discussions about China.

Does that sound familiar?

20 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

1)  He didn't want to start WWIII, and Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

2)  He probably doesn't want to alienate our NATO allies by blocking their access to fossil fuels in the winter.

Now, let's get back to focusing on Putin's historic, catastrophic invasion of Ukraine.

One of the points made in the second reference article I posted for you is that the Trump/MAGA faction of the GOP are responding to the invasion by praising Putin, blaming Biden, and/or deflecting to discussions about China.

Does that sound familiar?

W-

1. I disagree with anyone who cuts favor for Putin. (Not that my opinion matters much on the world stage, or even in my village, and even less to the fruit trees I tend). 

2. I think China is an issue, and a larger one than Russia. 

But...

If you are so concerned about "Putin's historic, catastrophic invasion of Ukraine," then what is the proper policy response of Western nations, including the US? 

1. Keep buying Russian oil and gas, keep Russia linked into the global financial system.

2. Stop buying Russian fossil fuels, and cut them out of the SWIFT system

Matt A-

You are probably right, although the US has sent troops every place else.  

Edited by Benjamin Cole
typo

23 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Yeah, that's total bullsh*t, Jeff.

Details:

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/what-putin-fears-most/

2 good articles, Matt and W.! Obama said all during his first term as President, when the U.S. would meet with Russia and Putin to discuss issues between them. Never did Putin ever mention an encroaching Nato!  It's really just his fear that a former member state of the Soviet Union would leave Russia behind! 

So it's very hard for Putin to understand. "Yes we don't want to be with you! We didn't appreciate your economic system that you foisted on us, nor your totalitarian police state!"

Ben:1. Biden, pre-invasion, said out loud the US would not send troops into Ukraine.

I would say because at the beginning, there was hope Putin would not invade, and  if  Biden stated that 1) that there was no prospect in the near future that Ukraine would be admitted to Nato  and 2)he was abiding by the current understanding and the current framework didn't permit the U.S. getting involved with a non Nato member, then maybe that was a starting point.. That was pretty much understood by everybody, that the world super powers should take all possible steps to avoid direct confrontation. It's a buffering. 

Now you're Monday morning quarterbacking?, you've been pretty silent and peripheral about this, diverting off to China, continually, and now you're talking   like an  activist tough guy to the right of John Mc Cain, Ben? Why now?

I do appreciate you're starting to see a greater picture than just the U.S. NSS, as I've been telling you it's a corporate state., Yes Ben that's a nice dream. It would be nice if everyone in SE Asia and India would start buying killer submarines and organizing boycotts against China, or corporate America would stop doing business with China. ,But no politicians going to do that in one fell swoop because of a thing called economic displacement. It would bring on a depression or a deep recession, until new supply chains were established, and  that could take years, and there are already supply chain problems, or have you heard? It would be so extremely unpopular, no politicians could hope to keep the peace for long, much less ever get re elected. Does that answer your question?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

On 2/23/2022 at 3:39 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

If someone uses the term "Democrat Party," I figure they must be a member of the Fox-watching Republic Party.  😋

(Ben insists he's not affiliated with either party. But I think that his use of the term "Democrat Party" betrays him. But then, half the things he says on this thread does that.)

Sandy, Another phrase that Ben uses is the the "Donks" and the "Phants". In all my life I don't know any Americans who have ever even referenced in conversation the Donkeys and the Elephants to symbolize  the 2 parties.

Before Ben, I would have thought the only people referring to those terms would be some English speaking European trying to ingratiate himself to Americans, by knowing our inside nomenclature.

Either that or some cornball Conservative, in a tweed suit and a bow tie, who probably also makes continual references to "the Constitution" and then maybe the Bible.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Sandy, Another phrase that Ben uses is the the "Donks" and the "Phants". In all my life I don't know any Americans who have ever even referenced in conversation the Donkeys and the Elephants to symbolize  the 2 parties.

Before Ben, I would have thought the only people referring to those terms would be some English speaking European trying to ingratiate himself to Americans, by knowing our inside nomenclature.

Either that or some cornball Conservative, in a tweed suit and a bow tie, who probably also makes continual references to "the Constitution" and then maybe the Bible.

Kirk--

Perhaps I should take up the Bible-thumping. I have always wanted to point the index figure northwards and preach from the very pinnacle of righteousness. 

The very location where Liz Cheney is firmly seated! 

Yes, I created the "Donks" and 'Phants" nomenclature. But I am an American. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

From Al Jazeera:

Critics come out

Outside pro-government circles, the latest actions by the Russian military have considerably less support.

As of time of writing, at least 86 journalists, reporters and media figures, mainly from independent outlets, as well as the BBC, had signed a petition condemning Russia’s operation in Ukraine.

The petition was started by Yelena Chernenko, business reporter for the newspaper Kommersant.

Meanwhile, more than a hundred municipal deputies from Moscow, St Petersburg, Samara, Ryazan and other cities have signed an open letter to the citizens of Russia, urging them not to take part or stay silent.

“We, the deputies elected by the people, unreservedly condemn the attack of the Russian army on Ukraine,” the letter reads. “This is an unparalleled atrocity for which there is and cannot be justification.”

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny, who was appearing before a judge for contempt of court, took the opportunity to make a statement.

“I am against this war. I think this war is designed to divert attention from Russia’s problems, and it will only lead to greater impoverishment,” he said, before being interrupted by the judge. “I consider those who unleashed this war to be bandits and thieves.”

Large-scale protests are reportedly planned in several Russian cities later on Thursday, and social media images have showed an increased number of single-pickets across the country.

More on the letter here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10546799/More-150-senior-Russian-officials-sign-open-letter-condemning-Putins-invasion-Ukraine.html

Matt, that "Woman in Kiev" twitter was really stirring for me! Everyone should check it out!

Wouldn't that be something if people all over the world started to denounce the invasion? Just like they did with George Floyd? Man! that would be an uplifting human development!

Right Ben?

Jeff?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

10 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

From Al Jazeera:

Critics come out

Outside pro-government circles, the latest actions by the Russian military have considerably less support.

As of time of writing, at least 86 journalists, reporters and media figures, mainly from independent outlets, as well as the BBC, had signed a petition condemning Russia’s operation in Ukraine.

The petition was started by Yelena Chernenko, business reporter for the newspaper Kommersant.

Meanwhile, more than a hundred municipal deputies from Moscow, St Petersburg, Samara, Ryazan and other cities have signed an open letter to the citizens of Russia, urging them not to take part or stay silent.

“We, the deputies elected by the people, unreservedly condemn the attack of the Russian army on Ukraine,” the letter reads. “This is an unparalleled atrocity for which there is and cannot be justification.”

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny, who was appearing before a judge for contempt of court, took the opportunity to make a statement.

“I am against this war. I think this war is designed to divert attention from Russia’s problems, and it will only lead to greater impoverishment,” he said, before being interrupted by the judge. “I consider those who unleashed this war to be bandits and thieves.”

Large-scale protests are reportedly planned in several Russian cities later on Thursday, and social media images have showed an increased number of single-pickets across the country.

More on the letter here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10546799/More-150-senior-Russian-officials-sign-open-letter-condemning-Putins-invasion-Ukraine.html

I hate to see any bloodshed. But I hope Putin's invasion is a total failure. 

1 minute ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Matt, that "Woman in Kiev" twitter was really stirring for me! Everyone should check it out!

Wouldn't that be something if people all over the world started to denounce the invasion. Just like they did with George Floyd? Man! that would be an uplifting human development!

Right Ben?

If you say so. 

I did not find George Floyd, or Kyle Rittenhouse, to be particularly inspiring. 

People are PC-bound to make florid proclamations and project highly distorted narratives regarding certain squalid events and people. 

But some squalid events and people are just that, squalid events and people. 

8 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

If you say so. 

I did not find George Floyd, or Kyle Rittenhouse, to be particularly inspiring. 

People are PC-bound to make florid proclamations and project highly distorted narratives regarding certain squalid events and people. 

But some squalid events and people are just that, squalid events and people. 

There weren't demonstrations throughout the world for Kyle Rittenhouse.

So squalid people like George Floyd aren't deserving of basic rights, Ben?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

https://www.rawstory.com/russia-sanctions-2656787558/
On Thursday, amid new announcements of sanctions on the Russian economy by the United States and NATO in retaliation for the invasion of Ukraine, Dimitry Rogozin, the chief of the Russian space corporation Roscosmos, made an eyebrow-raising threat: that if the sanctions continue, Russia could stop maintaining the orbit of the International Space Station and allow it to crash into the United States.
"If you block cooperation with us, who will save the ISS from an uncontrolled deorbit and fall into the United States or Europe?" tweeted Rogozin in Russian. "There is also the option of dropping a 500-ton structure on India or China. Do you want to threaten them with such a prospect? The ISS does not fly over Russia, so all the risks are yours. Are you ready for them?"

Steve Thomas