The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

37 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

About a half-century ago, as a freshman at Berkeley, in one of the first poli-sci classes I took, the Marxist TA rhetorically asked, "What is free speech, if some people have megaphones?" 

I do not have a good answer, then or now. 

On the other hand, what is free speech if regulated by government? 

Like Greenwald, the ACLU, if I have to err, I will err on the side of free speech. So it goes.

We have to agree to disagree on this one. 

All good.  Just don’t gripe about the money in politics.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

About a half-century ago, as a freshman at Berkeley, in one of the first poli-sci classes I took, the Marxist TA rhetorically asked, "What is free speech, if some people have megaphones?" 

I do not have a good answer, then or now. 

On the other hand, what is free speech if regulated by government? 

Like Greenwald, the ACLU, if I have to err, I will err on the side of free speech. So it goes.

We have to agree to disagree on this one. 

Ben,

Should hate speech be allowed?

How about speech that incites violence against the citizenry or government officials?

Incitement of violence against minority groups?

How about libel?

How about deleterious false advertising?

As for your concerns about wages, what has been the Republican Party position on support for labor unions during the past 40 years?

From today's NY Times article on Twitter's dire economic picture:

At the meeting on Thursday, Mr. Musk warned employees that Twitter did not have the necessary cash to survive, said seven people familiar with the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The social media company was running a negative cash flow of several billion dollars, Mr. Musk added, without specifying if that was an annual figure. He mentioned bankruptcy.

29 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

Should hate speech be allowed?

How about speech that incites violence against the citizenry or government officials?

Incitement of violence against minority groups?

How about libel?

How about deleterious false advertising?

As for your concerns about wages, what has been the Republican Party position on support for labor unions during the past 40 years?

Nixon was very tight with the Teamsters (haha).

The problem is in definition. 

Once the government decides what is hate speech, or inciting violence....

Only recently, someone was positing about "stochastic terrorism" in this forum. 

Should demonizing rural whites or Trump supporters (as has been done on this very forum, and which could be defined as "stochastic terrorism") result in jail time? 

Interesting topic. 

The context: Energy Transfer made $2.4 billion in windfall profits during Texas’ February 2021 deep freeze, which knocked out power and heat to millions, leading to more than 200 deaths and at least $80 billion in damage. Electricity prices spiked from $30 per megawatt hour to hit the $9,000/mwh cap; natural gas jumped from $3 per million British thermal units to $500. During the freeze, many power plants went down, in some cases because they couldn’t get enough natural gas from pipeline systems that had frozen up or lost power. Energy Transfer’s operations were ready for the cold temperatures — enabling the company to charge escalated prices amid a shortage of natural gas. Their customers, mostly electric power utilities, have had to pass on record fuel prices to the very Texans hurt most by the freeze.

The energizer bunny?

Beto’s Free Speech Comeback? After Loss In Texas Governor’s Race, O’Rourke Will Fight For The Right To Call A Pipeline Billionaire A Crook (msn.com)

3 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Nixon was very tight with the Teamsters (haha).

The problem is in definition. 

Once the government decides what is hate speech, or inciting violence....

Only recently, someone was positing about "stochastic terrorism" in this forum. 

Should demonizing rural whites or Trump supporters (as has been done on this very forum, and which could be defined as "stochastic terrorism") result in jail time? 

Interesting topic. 

Ben, Excellent point about  "Stochastic terrorism" The M$M media incited an entire summer of it because Cheeto was the President. That word has been brought up so much recently it kinda reminded me of the secret word from Pee Wee's Play house, lol,  I was wondering if someone got a political word of the day calendar because of how much it got brought up. It might have to become a drinking game in the future. 

Democracy doesn't really exist without freedom of speech despite places like North Korea having it in it's official title. George Soros has reshaped what is considered hate speech and inciting violence through getting activist DA's put into power. Cliff's city had to recall their's because he was too liberal. Luckily David Depape is a huyt Canadian illegal alien or not giving him bail would be racist. 

The absolute best the GOP can hope for now in the House is a single digit majority, which will provide one of the funniest political dooky-shows most of us have ever seen.

See, while the House GOP is full of the nastiest, slimiest people you've ever met, there are also a number of non-crazies as well; moderates that have neither the time or patience for L00nies like MTG. A single digit majority means absolutely nothing will ever get done, because these people will never agree on anything lol. No GOP member will be able to herd this group of feral cats, because no GOP member has anything remotely resembling the chops that Nancy Pelosi has. So whoever is encumbered with the suicide mission of being a GOP SOTH, is about to experience a true living hell.