The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

18 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Ben,

Total cop out.

Please dispense with the ad hominem non-rebuttal and respond to Prokop's detailed critique of Gerth's bogus CJR article.

You, of all people, need to read Prokop's excellent analysis.

Should I have posted Prokop's article in large print, as you have done with Gerth's Russiagate denial piece?

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Nikki Haley kicked off 2024 presidential campaign with calls for a new generation of leadership

Kate Sullivan
By Kate Sullivan, CNN
Updated 3:05 PM EST, Wed February 15, 2023

Former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley argued Wednesday the nation was ready to move past the “division and distractions” that she said marked today’s politics and called for a new generation of leadership as she kicked off her 2024 presidential campaign in Charleston.

The former twice-elected governor of South Carolina, who turned 51 last month, launched her 2024 campaign Tuesday in a video and will travel to the early-voting states of New Hampshire and Iowa in the following days. Her announcement could provide a jolt to what has so far been a slow-moving Republican primary campaign season, with many potential candidates hesitant to be the first to follow former President Donald Trump into the race. Trump launched his third bid for the White House in November.

---30---

This is America's "progressive" media at work. 

How to explain this to devout Donks? 

What is the difference between a neo-con and a neo-lib? 

Obama's eight-year war in Afcrapstan and Bush's eight-year war in Afcrapistan? 

Now CNN is gushing over Haley...when not gushing over Liz Cheney or HRC. 

Sad. 

2 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

Total cop out.

Please dispense with the ad hominem non-rebuttal and respond to Prokop's detailed critique of Gerth's bogus CJR article.

You, of all people, need to read Prokop's excellent analysis.

Should I have posted Prokop's article in large print, as you have done with Gerth's Russiagate denial piece?

The Prokop piece strikes me establishment gibberish and untruths. 

Gerth is a solid veteran newsreporter, old-school. 

CJR has been the industry trade magazine for generations. 

When a reader is presented with M$M narratives, be wary. 

Russiagate was a intel-M$M narrative. 

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

The Prokop piece strikes me establishment gibberish and untruths. 

Gerth is a solid veteran newsreporter, old-school. 

CJR has been the industry trade magazine for generations. 

When a reader is presented with M$M narratives, be wary. 

Russiagate was a intel-M$M narrative. 

Nice fold.

You, obviously, didn't read Prokop's article, or, if you did, you didn't understand it.  It's extremely detailed and, essentially, unanswerable-- a knock out punch.

I knew something was seriously wrong with Gerth when I first read his lengthy CJR article claiming that Russiagate was a hoax.  

At the time, I didn't know that Gerth had also been involved in promoting the phony Republican Whitewater pseudo-scandal to undermine Bill Clinton's Presidency.

Now we have an old clip  of Nikki Haley  on Fox  saying she's going to cut Social Security and Medicare.

I've been talking about these clips of Republicans doing the same since at least 2019. The Democrats never used it in 2020, though undoubtedly they  could have given them bigger majorities in the House and Senate. Though in fairness on a Presidential level, a  Trumpist at the time would probably have voted for Trump no matter what policies he'd say in the campaign, and taking away SS and Medicare would have been for the Republicans like taking candy from a baby.
But Biden won!

But still, if  the Democrats weren't  silent about this all during the 2022 campaign.  There's no way they would have lost the House! Then after the election, Biden now stumbles on it and it's gold!  Geesh!

Nikki Haley- I don't think that's going anywhere. What white male Trump voter is going to defect to Nikki Haley?

11 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Andrew Prokop has just published a definitive takedown of Jeff Gerth's bogus CJR revisionist history article claiming that Trump's Russiagate scandal was a hoax. 

I didn't realize that Jeff Gerth was involved years ago in promoting the GOP Whitewater hoax about Bill Clinton.

Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Jeff Gerth, and the Trump-Russia revisionists, explained - Vox       

W--

Did you read your own article? 

"Steele’s memos cited anonymous sources who laid out a maximalist version of Trump-Russia collusion, claiming he traded policy concessions on Ukraine in exchange for Russia’s email hacking; that his aides even helped pay the hackers; and that he had been exchanging information with Russian intelligence for “at least eight years.” Steele’s memos also fingered another little-known Trump foreign policy adviser, Carter Page, as orchestrating a wild collusion conspiracy with the Russian government.

The memos also brought to life one of the most bizarre subplots of the whole affair: the pee tape. This was the claim that Trump hired prostitutes to “perform a ‘golden showers’ (urination) show in front of him” at the Moscow Ritz-Carlton in 2013, implying this could have been secretly taped so that Trump was vulnerable to Kremlin blackmail.

Later investigations revealed, though, that most of Steele’s juicy claims came from one person who didn’t seem to have good intel or even believe in his own findings."

---30---

Jeez. Is that all?

But way more.

Conjectures and accusations are not even charges, let alone findings of guilt. 

In fact, no one knows who hacked the DNC e-mails. US intel says they believe the hacking is linked to entities in Russia but concedes that is not proven.

Moreover, it could be a false flag op. US intel says they have been told by "human intel" the hacking came from Russia---the technical proof is lacking. Human intel, you know of the type that always tells US intel what they want to hear. 

But that is really also small potatoes.

The huge failing for the Russiagate hoax perps was that "there is no there,"  re Peter Strzok, lead FBI investigator. 

One can conjecture that a meeting between Russian oligarch minions and Trump underlings is actually Putin turning Trump into his puppet. You can call that "news-reporting" if you want. 

But...these are the "linked to" and "connected" and "tied to" conjectures and innuendos so popular in the days of commie scares, but now re-fabricated by Donk neo-con-libs. 

But then...

More on trolls:

"The second genre that proved hyperbolic is Russian trolls coverage. As I’ve written, the panic over online Russian trolls influencing Americans and swinging the 2016 election with propaganda or fake news was overhyped. Yes, this trolling operation existed, and its existence was newsworthy. But the overwhelming amount of coverage may have led to exaggerated perceptions of its impact which, as a recent study confirms, was pretty minimal."

---30---

So the whole Russian bots-trolls story was another gossamer of fantasy. Members of this forum have been hyper-ventilating over...nothing? So says Vox! 

Russiagate was "an elaborate hoax," as NYT'er Bret Stephens says. 

BTW, I pretty much thought the same thing about Whitewater. There was no there, there. Clinton's sex life was his private life (I concede having President Clinton having sex with a college intern in the office was not proper behavior). 

Some people look at Whitewater and see a Donk  president being persecuted. When the tables are turned....

To me, both Whitewater and Russiagate look like vapors....

Edited by Benjamin Cole

8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

W--

Did you read your own article? 

"Steele’s memos cited anonymous sources who laid out a maximalist version of Trump-Russia collusion, claiming he traded policy concessions on Ukraine in exchange for Russia’s email hacking; that his aides even helped pay the hackers; and that he had been exchanging information with Russian intelligence for “at least eight years.” Steele’s memos also fingered another little-known Trump foreign policy adviser, Carter Page, as orchestrating a wild collusion conspiracy with the Russian government.

The memos also brought to life one of the most bizarre subplots of the whole affair: the pee tape. This was the claim that Trump hired prostitutes to “perform a ‘golden showers’ (urination) show in front of him” at the Moscow Ritz-Carlton in 2013, implying this could have been secretly taped so that Trump was vulnerable to Kremlin blackmail.

Later investigations revealed, though, that most of Steele’s juicy claims came from one person who didn’t seem to have good intel or even believe in his own findings."

---30---

Jeez. Is that all?

But way more.

Conjectures and accusations are not even charges, let alone findings of guilt. 

In fact, no one knows who hacked the DNC e-mails. US intel says they believe the hacking is linked to entities in Russia but concedes that is not proven.

Moreover, it could be a false flag op. US intel says they have been told by "human intel" the hacking came from Russia---the technical proof is lacking. Human intel, you know of the type that always tells US intel what they want to hear. 

But that is really also small potatoes.

The huge failing for the Russiagate hoax perps was that "there is no there,"  re Peter Strzok, lead FBI investigator. 

One can conjecture that a meeting between Russian oligarch minions and Trump underlings is actually Putin turning Trump into his puppet. You can call that "news-reporting" if you want. 

But...these are the "linked to" and "connected" and "tied to" conjectures and innuendos so popular in the days of commie scares, but now re-fabricated by Donk neo-con-libs. 

But then...

More on trolls:

"The second genre that proved hyperbolic is Russian trolls coverage. As I’ve written, the panic over online Russian trolls influencing Americans and swinging the 2016 election with propaganda or fake news was overhyped. Yes, this trolling operation existed, and its existence was newsworthy. But the overwhelming amount of coverage may have led to exaggerated perceptions of its impact which, as a recent study confirms, was pretty minimal."

---30---

So the whole Russian bots-trolls story was another gossamer of fantasy. Members of this forum have been hyper-ventilating over...nothing? So says Vox! 

Russiagate was "an elaborate hoax," as NYT'er Bret Stephens says. 

BTW, I pretty much thought the same thing about Whitewater. There was no there, there. Clinton's sex life was his private life (I concede having President Clinton having sex with a college intern in the office was not proper behavior). 

Some people look at Whitewater and see a Donk  president being persecuted. When the tables are turned....

To me, both Whitewater and Russiagate look like vapors....

He He

56 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Defenestration is common in Russia. 

Be careful and keep eyes skyward when walking near multi-story buildings in Moscow. 

Yes, and, presumably, it's all NATO's fault... 🤓

As for your selective reading of the Prokop article, Ben, you left out the key part of Prokop's takedown of Gerth (bold italics mine.)

As David Corn pointed out, Gerth's bogus revisionist history of Russiagate focused mainly on the Steele Dossier and Alfa Bank.

And let's not forget about Paul Manafort and Roger Stone committing perjury and stonewalling Mueller's investigation-- after Trump floated pardons and later pardoned them.

"A fuller recap of what the (Russiagate) scandal was all about would go something like this: What became the FBI’s investigation into Trump-Russia was opened in the summer of 2016 for reasons having nothing to do with Steele, Fusion, or Alfa Bank.

That year, leading Democrats had seen their emails and documents stolen in hacks, later to surface on mysterious websites or to be published by WikiLeaks. Initial assessments blamed the Russian government for the hack (and Mueller’s team later confirmed those assessments, fleshing them out with much more detail).

Trump viewed these leaks as highly beneficial to him, touting them constantly on the campaign trail, and even publicly calling on “Russia, if you’re listening” to find more Clinton emails. (He then claimed this was a joke, but in private, he urged his campaign advisers to try and get ahold of more Clinton emails.)

While this was unfolding, the FBI received a tip that a little-known Trump foreign policy aide, George Papadopoulos, had been saying he knew Russia had damaging emails related to Clinton before any hack news was public. So the bureau opened a counterintelligence investigation originally focused on a discrete question: Had the Russian government conveyed information about their plans to interfere in the 2016 election to someone on Trump’s team?

This was, I would argue, an entirely reasonable question. And with hindsight, due to this investigation and reporting, we know that many shenanigans were indeed afoot.

• Trump’s longtime adviser Roger Stone was trying to get hacked Democratic emails from WikiLeaks in advance, while apparently informing Trump about his efforts.
  • Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort was sharing the campaign’s polling data and strategy with an associate the FBI claims is tied to Russian intelligence.
  • Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, had reached out to the Russian government to try to get a Trump Tower Moscow project going, though it didn’t end up happening.
  • Donald Trump Jr. even welcomed an emailed offer of dirt on Hillary Clinton that was said to be “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump,” setting up a meeting with Manafort and Jared Kushner to discuss it. (They didn’t find the information useful.)

On 2/15/2023 at 11:45 AM, Joe Bauer said:

If true...it is so important for her to step down "now."

She's been showing significant mental decline for years now.

Our nation needs senators to be sharp for a million important reasons.

For her to keep herself in her seat for the next almost 2 years is extremely selfish and not in the best interests of us Californians.

Exactly. I completely agree.

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Those close to Putin should avoid getting close to windows.

Or stairs.

[Marjoram Taylor] Greene says people are calling the alarms about how wind turbines are killing whales and unknown thousands of bird species

“I don’t know why AOC isn’t dressed in white crying for the dead whales.”

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1625702261694365698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

thousands of bird species...

People are calling, you know.

Steve Thomas