The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

I had a conversation with a family member who leans right about student loan forgiveness (she has paid hers off).  When I mentioned this list of republican congressmen's PPP loans being forgiven, she countered with who's going to pay for this.  I didn't think of this at the time or ruffle her feathers further otherwise.

Who paid for the PPP loan forgiveness?  Us. 

The guaranteed by the US Government student loans were promoted by for profit financial institutions. They sought to make money off students seeking an education.  Some institutions like chump u tried to facilitate this for profit themselves.

By forgiving these loans the people who have them will be free to spend more, ploughing it back into the economy.  Which could use a big shot right now to overcome the natural gas and oil record profits inflation.

The image features text that reads: Republican Members of Congress Whose PPP Loans Were Forgiven   Below the headline is a list that reads:  Matt Gaetz (R-FL): $476,000 Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA): $180,000 Greg Pence (R-IN): $79,441 Vern Buchanan (R-FL): $2.8M Kevin Hern (R-OK): $1,070,000 Roger Williams (R-TX): $1,430,000 Brett Guthrie (R-KY): $4.3M Ralph Norman (R-SC): $306,520 Ralph Abraham (R-LA): $38,000 Mike Kelly (R-PA): $974,100 Vicki Hartzler (R-MO): $451,200 Markwayne Mullin (R-OK): $988,700 Carol Miller (R-WV): $3.1M  

White House calls out Republicans who criticized student loan cancellation but had thousands in PPP loans forgiven - CBS News

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

6 hours ago, Richard Price said:

Thanks, Benjamin.  I tend to lapse punny at times.  Most of my puns are fairly pedestrian, but you can walk away from them unharmed.  It's far more cathartic than yelling at those you might be disagreeing with more often than not.  Civility has merits.

Years ago a friend of mine was writing a story about an Air Force chapel that was being expanded, a new section added.

He entitled his story, "On a Wing and A Prayer." 

I always envied that one. 

4 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

The rumor I'm hearing is that the five top secret documents in the FBI picture were possibly concealed in the five Time magazine frames.

It is time to get to the bottom of this. 

Joking aside, nothing about Trump makes sense.

If Trump wanted to keep the Top Secret documents, or rather the information therein...why not just make copies and give back the originals? 

Sheesh, these days one can even just take pictures with a smartphone or tablet. 

This will be another act in Trump Political Theater.  Trump never reads anything anyway, or so is the public persona. Why did Trump even want the physical, paper documents? 

Adding to the nuttiness, surely a US President does in fact have unilateral authority to declassify any document.

Otherwise, we have the Deep State deciding what can be declassified, and not an elected US President? You know, like the JFK Records? 

Russian Oil Executive Falls Out Of Hospital Window And Dies, Reports Say

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russian-lukoil-oil-executive-dies_n_63109b1ce4b063d5e6223887

MOSCOW (AP) — “The chairman of the board of Russia’s largest private oil company Lukoil has died with Russian news agencies on Thursday citing sources saying that he had fallen from a hospital window in what may have been a suicide.”

“Lukoil was one of a few Russian companies to publicly call for an end to Russia’s military operation in Ukraine, calling in March for the “immediate cessation of the armed conflict.”

Gee. What a coincidence. He was standing there, and he just fell right out the window...

Steve Thomas

On 8/31/2022 at 1:00 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

This Teen Was Prescribed 10 Psychiatric Drugs. She’s Not Alone.---NYT

This one is for W.

As a layman, this strikes me as the wrong approach, along with most other medications for mental troubles. 

Is this the right approach? Has something about the drug industry and reimbursement schemes worked to this end? 

Did you ever tell a patient, "Look, get a lot more exercise and reduce alcohol and sugar in your diet. Then, let's see where we stand?" 

Ben to W.: Did you ever tell a patient, "Look, get a lot more exercise and reduce alcohol and sugar in your diet. Then, let's see where we stand?" 

Whew! How about adding "get off nicotine, and go cold turkey and get off that heroin habit and then get back to me." What kind of therapeutic approach is that?  People come because they seek help.

That's the first trace I've ever seen of "Tough Love" Ben. With all the rationalizations you  passively make for Trump, Have you ever thought of just putting your foot down with Trump? 
But at least now I can see you put your foot down somewhere. Which is good!  I was thinking, Gee, I hope Ben doesn't have a son or he could be a real hellion!

But then: Ben :I was just thinking, as a layman, step one for anybody is diet and exercise. 
That's kind of a wimpy back down, considering you plaintively blasted your post with such a big headline and font, and then presumed to ask W. what you seem to think was such a profound question.

Hmmmm

You sure you weren't drunk?

heh heh heh

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russian-lukoil-oil-executive-dies_n_63109b1ce4b063d5e6223887

MOSCOW (AP) — “The chairman of the board of Russia’s largest private oil company Lukoil has died with Russian news agencies on Thursday citing sources saying that he had fallen from a hospital window in what may have been a suicide.”

“Lukoil was one of a few Russian companies to publicly call for an end to Russia’s military operation in Ukraine, calling in March for the “immediate cessation of the armed conflict.”

Gee. What a coincidence. He was standing there, and he just fell right out the window...

Steve Thomas

Suicide?

Oh please.

I really feel for the Russian people. I don't think they want this type of stuff happening in their own country.

-Mr. Orange Head -

"And then they deceptively put out that picture," he said of a photo provided by the DOJ in a court filing. "People think that when you walk into my office, I have confidential documents or whatever it may be -- all declassified -- but I have confidential documents spread out all over my floor, like a slob, like I'm sitting there reading these documents all day long or somebody else would be."

oh?

And just who might that be Mr. Orange Head?

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

It's actually possible that the entire TRUMP story could end up being an unprecedented  "A Man Who Would Be King" type fall into unheard of presidential historical disgrace territory.

He's more than half-way there already.

2 Impeachment efforts in one term, Jan. 6th Capital Building attack incitement and aiding and betting through refusal to stop this for 3 hours, election interfering ( Georgia 2020, ) personal tax cheating for decades, Illegal secret document theft, family enrichment via dictator cash bailouts, rape charges by famous N.Y. City columnist E. Jean Carroll, intimidating Jan. 6th hearing witnesses, hand fighting S.S. agents in a moving car, temper tantrum throwing plates of food ( including ketchup ) against the wall right in the White House, and on and on.

Trump's presidential legacy is "already"
one of unprecedented national anger, turmoil, chaos and division.

Family against family anger and division, threats of major violence in the streets if Trump is actually charged with any crimes. Stated even by sitting senators! 

We've actually been in a civil war type "mentality" during Trump's entire reign.

Hugely financed extreme right wing radio political propaganda broadcasting ( with a dozen famous voices ) incessantly feeding 50 million American listeners this "us against them" rage and fear mantra 24/7.

Demonizing Democrats and liberals as queer, commie, baby killing, gun stealing, Covid hoaxing, illegal immigration promoting, violent criminal and black coddling agents of the devil!

It's going to take decades to calm and get over all this Trump era societal psychic trauma.

God help us all until that time ... imo anyway.

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve Thomas

When Putin and his thugs do a Frank Olson on one of their critics, they're never subtle about it.

It reminds me of the case of the guy who fell out of a 6th floor bathtub in Kiev a few years ago.

Or serving Litvinenko plutonium tea.

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve Thomas

At least five prominent Russian businessmen have reportedly died by suicide since late January, according to previous CNN reporting.

17 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Man, my heart goes out to you. In my family a member has been taking anti-depressants for 30-40 years.  A good friend's son committed suicide after schizophrenia. 

I  hope for the best for you, and for me. 

Appreciate it. We're 12 years in and every day is worse than the previous one.