The Education Forum

Vince Salandria Dead at 93

Rob Clark

I just did an hour long interview with Len Osanic about the importance of VInce and his work.

I think there will be a tribute on Black Op Radio tonight to VInce.

I tried to hit the highlights of his career, but I probably missed some things.

This earliest debunking of the lone-assassin theory has been vastly under-appreciated for close to 56 years.

The Warren Report 
Analysis of Shots, Trajectories, and 
Wounds: A Lawyer’s Dissenting View

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/FalseMystery/LawyersDissentingView.html

You will recall that Secret Service Agent Glen A. Bennett, stationed in the right rear seat of the President’s followup car saw a “shot hit the President about four inches down from the right shoulder” (W-111). “An examination of the suit jacket worn by the President by F.B.I. Agent Frazier revealed a roughly circular hole approximately one-fourth of an inch in diameter on the rear of the coat, 5 3/8 inches below the top of the collar and 1 3/4 inches to the right of the center back seam of the coat” (W-92). “The shirt worn by the President contained a hole on the back side 5 ¾ inches below the top of the collar and 1 1/8 inches to the right of the middle of the back of the shirt” (W-92). “The tie had a nick on the side of the knot” (W-92). The Commission would have us believe that a trajectory of a bullet from the sixth story downward would hit the President four inches from the right shoulder, or 5 ¾ inches from the top of his shirt collar, and ranging upward emerge from his neck tie knot without having hit any bones. This proposed trajectory of down and then up fails to comport with a sixth-floor shot, and if possible at all, must have been fired from a lower level. Further they ask that this same bullet which exited flying upward after not hitting any bone in the President (W-88) then changed direction in mid-air and coursed downward striking the Governor in the back, chest, right wrist, and left thigh (W-92)...

Having read the Report, I conclude that the evidence offered by the Commission indicates there was more than one rifleman firing on November 22, 1963. There were more than three shots. If Oswald was one of the gunmen, then with that gun, from that vantage point, in that timespan, suggested by the Commission, he could not have been alone in the performance of the terrible work that destroyed our President and wounded two other men.

In his January 1965 article in Liberation, Salandria continued to hammer the clothing evidence:

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/HWNAU/VJSJan1965.html

Now we turn to plane geometry and the trajectories of the shots. For this purpose, we start with the holes in the clothing of the President:

An examination of the suit jacket worn by the President by F.B.I. Agent Frazier revealed a roughly circular hole approximately one-fourth of an inch in diameter on the rear of the coat, 53/8 inches below the top of the collar and 1 ¾ inches to the right of the center back seam of the coat. (W-92) 

The shirt worn by the President contained a hole on the back side 5 ¾ inches below the top of the collar and 1 1/8 to the right of the middle of the back of the shirt. (W-92)

Strange Inferences

At the time the first bullet impacted upon the President, Governor Connally, according to the Commission, was seated in a position which placed him in front of the President (W-106). The first shot to hit the President was designated by the Commission as having hit the Governor at any place between Z frames 207 through 225 (W-106). During these frames the angle from a rifle in the sixth floor window of the Depository Building was roughly from 21° to 20° (W-102, 103).

One would expect such a shot with a downward trajectory from the sixth floor, hitting the President 5 ¾ inches below the coat collar and not hitting any bone, (W-88) (the autopsy report describes the bullet entering “the upper right posterior thorax” [W-541]) would continue its path downward at a roughly 20° angle and emerge from the abdominal area. Instead, this remarkable bullet turned upward.It then exited from the President, who was sitting perfectly erect (W-102, 103), and tore through the left portion of his tie knot (W-91).

One would certainly, once accepting this unusual and highly improbable course of the bullet, have to concede that it would fly harmlessly over the Governor’s head heading for the sky. But the Commission asks us to believe that this strange bullet changed direction in mid-air. No bullet ever has, unless spent. But this bullet was far from spent, for it had an entrance velocity after passing through the President of 1,858 feet per second (W-95).

In mid-air, the Commission turned this bullet downward into the back of the Governor, who was sitting erect with his back to the President (W-103). Then this extraordinary missile pierced the back of the Governor and emerged from his right nipple.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

The journal garrison received permission from Vince, through Dave Ratliff, to print the entire False Mystery book in the journal.  It's not linear, so we may be doing the chapters out of order, but we began with this current issue. It was so kind of Vince to allow it, as both he and Dave like what's being done in the journal. I'll be forever grateful. He was a legend in the field - and widely respected in a field that can often eat its own.

In his March 1965 Liberation article, Salandria brought together the witness statements of three Secret Service agents and the physical evidence.

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Essay_-_A_Philadelphia_Lawyer_Analyzes_the_Presidents_Back_and_Neck_Wounds.html

The Back Wound

Here we must shift our attention backward. We will examine the Commission's inference concerning a bullet which allegedly entered the back of his neck and exited through the lower front portion of his neck. We urge the reader to keep his mind open on the question of whether the back hit we are about to discuss has an exit on the front of the neck or whether it has an exit at all. Nothing we have examined so far would prove the Commission's conclusion that this shot in the back of the President exited from the front.

At this point in the exposition, each reader will have in mind Bennett's oft-repeated testimony that he observed a missile "hit the President about four inches down from the right shoulder" (W-111). Special Agent Clinton L. Hill saw the President's body being worked on at the morgue in Bethesda during the course of the autopsy. He stated to the Commission that just before the body was placed into a casket "I saw an opening in the back, about six inches below the neckline to the right-hand side of the spinal column" (II H 143).

Special Agent Roy H. Kellerman testified about his experience at Bethesda during the autopsy studies there.

There were three gentlemen who were performing this autopsy. A Colonel Finck -- during the examination of the President, from the hole that was in his shoulder, and with a probe, and we -- were standing right alongside of him, he is probing inside the shoulder with his instrument and I said, "Colonel, where did it go?" He said, "There are no lanes for an outlet of this entry in this man's shoulder." (II H 93)

If Colonel Finck was correct, if there were indeed no lanes of exit from such a wound, then that is the end of the Commission's theory that one assassin fired all the shots at the assassination site. Such a finding of no outlet would make the back wound a separate hit. It would make the front neck wound a separate hit. It would place one gunman in front of the President. It would add one bullet to the three shells found in the Depository Building, thereby making four, and thereby requiring another gunman to accomplish all the shooting in the maximum allowable time. But while Colonel Finck at the autopsy in Bethesda was making this judgment on the dreadful night of November 22nd, 1963, the United States Government was proclaiming to the world that one man and one man alone had performed all the gory work in Dealey Plaza. This conclusion, in the light of the opinions of the autopsy experts, was utterly out of joint with the facts apparent at that time. At best, it was premature.

All the above testimony of Special Agents Bennett, Hill, and Kellerman indicates a hit in the back of the President roughly four to six inches below the inferior neckline. Material supporting evidence was found in the clothing of the President. FBI Agent Robert A. Frazier testified about the President's clothing as follows:

I found on the back of the shirt a hole, 5 3/4 inches below the top of the collar, and as you look at the back of the shirt 1 1/8 inch to the right of the mid-line of the shirt, which is this hole I am indicating (V H 60)

...the coat hole is 5 3/8 inches below the top of the collar. The shirt hole is 5 3/4 inches, which could be accounted for by a portion of the collar sticking up above the coat about a half inch. (V H 60)

The bullet which made these holes would have only originated from behind the President, who was sitting erect, facing front, in the Presidential limousine. Both the Commission and the writer are in perfect agreement here. It would seem, also, that there is no room for disagreement with respect to where the missile which impacted on the President's back entered. But, alas, on this score, the disagreement between the writer and the Commission is sharp and goes to the core of the case.

The writer concludes from the evidence of Special Agents Bennett, Kellerman, and Hill that there was a wound in the President's back some 4 to 6 inches down from the neck line. The writer feels that the missile hole 5 3/4 inches below the top of the shirt collar and 1 1/8 inches to the right of the midline of the shirt, dramatically supports the testimony of these Special Agents. The missile hole in the President's coat: 5 3/4 inches below the top of the collar corroborates their testimony in a solid and impressive way. The Commission, however, concluded otherwise. Despite all the above evidence, the Warren Commission found that the hit in the back of the President was above the wound at the necktie knot. "The autopsy disclosed that the bullet which entered the back of the President's neck hit no bony structure and proceeded in a slightly downward angle." (W-91). We submit that the Commission was in grievous and obvious error.

The Warren Commission had to recognize that a bullet in the back 5 3/4 inches below the top of the shirt which did not exit, would end the lone assassin theory. For, if this bullet did not exit, the front neck wound constitutes a separate entry from the front. To add one bullet is to add one gunman, who cannot have fired from the Texas Book Depository Building. One gunman cannot be in more than one place at the one time.

An attempt was made to refute the evidence of the three Special Agents who stuck to the truth as they had seen it. The Warren Commission, trying to rebut this impressive evidence, hit rocks which caused its integrity to founder forever on the shoals of self-contradictory exhibits and finally fabrication and withholding evidence.

I first learnt about his work in On The Trail of the Assassin’s, where he pointed out false leads to Garrison that were being fed by disinformation agents. He also came up in The Last Investigation. While Fonzi called him a nut initially, it was Vince who spurred on Fonzi’s later work by pointing him in the right direction.

RIP Mr. Salandria, a true American hero. 

Edited by Kishan Dandiker

This is an excerpt from Salandria’s 1994 interview with David Starks:

David Starks:  Now you answered my second and third questions in one shot and I assume that your initial challenge to the single bullet theory would probably be what you would consider your most significant accomplishment in the case.

Vincent Salandria:  No. 

David Starks:  No?

Vincent Salandria:  Well, okay, I would say, No. 

David Starks:  Then the next question is what do you consider your most significant accomplishment?

Vincent Salandria:  I think my most significant accomplishment, Dave, is understanding that what I did, in terms of being the first one to attack the single bullet theory, was not important in understanding that, the government really probably wanted us to involve ourselves in the minutiae of the evidence. To take an endless microanalytic look at the evidence and to delve into that and to fetishize it and not to get out of it and to look above it and to take a macroanalytic look at the evidence and ascertain what it means. What it meant. What the motivation was. Whythe assassination was in fact perpetrated, and how it was going to operate in the society—the people who did it—how they were going to exercise their power and how they were going to change direction of the society. 

So what I think the most significant thing I did was to pull myself out of this microanalysis and to try to explain why it happened. To give a model of explanation. 

That, I think, is the important thing that I did. I departed from the rest of the critics, took myself away from them and said, Look, let’s try to make some sense out of this. Let’s try to say what it was behind the assassination and how the assassins are operating, if they are, to affect our society. That is I think—I did that very early and I think that was an important move.

Excerpt starts at 12:08

4 hours ago, S.T. Patrick said:

The journal garrison received permission from Vince, through Dave Ratliff, to print the entire False Mystery book in the journal.  It's not linear, so we may be doing the chapters out of order, but we began with this current issue. It was so kind of Vince to allow it, as both he and Dave like what's being done in the journal. I'll be forever grateful. He was a legend in the field - and widely respected in a field that can often eat its own.

I don't think I've ever fully appreciated Mr. Salandria's work. He was always in the background for me, referred to by others I respect.  That other Pennsylvania  attorney who blew holes in fellow Pennsylvanian Specter's single bullet fantasy.  He was questioning the official story before the Warren Omission came out.  How naïve I am for not looking closer at his work.

Chapter 15 of False Mystery are pages 78-99 in the current Garrison magazine.  It's my next read after just finishing Jerry Policoff's 1972 take down of the nyt.  It happens kind of naturally.  Just turn the page, from the end of Policoff's  article on page 77.  There's Mr. Salandria, standing erect in a suit not too many years back I'd guess.  And the next 13 pages are from his 1998 presentation at COPA.   

Edited by Ron Bulman

Kishan,

That was Bill Boxley, real name William Wood.  I got that story from two sources for Destiny Betrayed, Vince and Lou ivon. I told it on the air to Len Osanic tonight.

Len's show looks really good.  Its over four hours.  Someone should post it when all the notes get done.

The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy:
A Model of Explanation by Vince Salandria

Original Copy published in Computers and Automation, Volume 20, No. 12, December 1971, pp. 32-40.

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/FalseMystery/ModelOfExplanation.html

OUTLINE

“Since November 22, 1963, when President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, there has been a great deal of research into the micro-analytic aspects of the assassination. I have been among the earliest and guiltiest of the researchers in my protracted analyses of the shots, trajectories and wounds of the assassination. The ransacking of the facts of the assassination is not a source of pride for me but rather of guilt. While the researchers have involved themselves in consuming preoccupation with the micro-analytic searching for facts of how the assassination was accomplished, there has been almost no systematic thinking on why President Kennedy was killed. We have neglected this essential work of constructing a model of explanation which fits the data of the assassination and explains the why of it.”

“Of course, secret elitist police organizations such as the CIA do not thrive on peace, democracy, and a contented and informed people. The power of intelligence agencies increases in direct proportion to the degree of sickness of a nation. A healthy and united people can localize the cancer of a power-usurping intelligence agency and eventually extirpate its malignant cells from the nation’s political life. Therefore, the intelligence apparatus which killed Kennedy has a need to keep our society in turmoil. It has — in order to maintain its power — to generate a high degree of chaos. Chaos is required to make a people willing to accept such strong medicine as is administered by the secret police in order to restore order and to stabilize a disintegrating society. It takes an acutely sick society to be able to accept as palatable the terrible cure — totalitarianism.”

Steve Thomas

16 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I’m crying.  The man was my #1 hero.

Rest in peace, Hank, rest in power...

Mine too Cliff.

My salute to Vince Salandria and description of his contributions to the JFK case.  About half of this is from my own personal interactions with him by phone or in person when i visited Philly. (I am from Pennsylvania)

Few people know that Salandria was the advisor to Al Oser and Bill Alford on the Dealey Plaza portion of the Clay Shaw trial.  When Dr. John Nichols appeared for Garrison and made a convincing case for conspiracy, the defense brought in Pierre Finck.  Which turned out to be a huge mistake that rocked both local US attorney Harry Connick and his superiors back in the Justice Department in Washington. And if James Phelan had not been controlling the MSM by spinning their stories each night from a rented home in New Orleans, that cross examination should have made front page headlines all over America. 

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/vincent-salandria-in-memorial

9 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Besides being a pithy and moving eulogy to a great researcher and advocate, Jim's piece shows how one man can make a profound difference. Salandria's contributions were truly far reaching and important.

Edited by Rob Couteau